TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 12:16:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ashley Hutchings biography Vol 2  (Read 5567 times)
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« on: July 09, 2007, 03:07:53 AM »

Geoff Wall, co-author of the Ashley Hutchings biography "The Guv'nor" would like it to be known that part two in the series will be available soon.  He wrote to let me know...

"Cropredy 2007 is your chance to buy a unique new product and a genuine piece of folk history.  "Always Chasing Rainbows" - a special pre-publication 'e-book' CD-ROM version containing more exclusive photos from Ashley Hutchings' archive and the unabridged narrative text.  435 pages and over 400 illustrations.  Meet Ashley and the two authors who will be signing copies of their book at the Friends of Fairport stall -  11:30 & 4:30 on Friday 10 and Saturday 11th August."

I asked Geoff if and how it would be available elsewhere, particularly in hardcopy form.  He says...

"Our Volume one publisher was not an experience that I wish to repeat. As yet we have not even tried to generate publisher interest for volume two and have decided to go down the DIY-route.  Consequently, it will be duplicated to resemble a vinyl LP housed in a cardboard sleeve - thus making it truly something special.  The CD-ROM will be launched at this year's Cropredy Festival and will be available post the event direct from us and other outlets, including e-bay.  There's no doubt that a publisher will be found and we fully expect the narrative and illustrations to be heavily trimmed.

"This second volume takes Ashley's story from the demise of the Albion Country Band in 1974, through his comeback with The Etchingham Steam Band, the formation of the Albion Dance Band and various Albion Bands, plus an in-depth discussion of his National Theatre years - a period that has been overlooked and remains completely untold until now.  The story ends with the birth of his son Blair in 1992."

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 10:47:53 PM »

More expense at Cropredy !!  Wink Grin Grin

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2022, 02:08:02 PM »

I've just found a copy of this.  Am I right in saying it was never published in book form?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2022, 04:34:01 PM »

I've just found a copy of this.  Am I right in saying it was never published in book form?

Never published physically, as per Geoff Wall's quote in Michael's post above.

It's a great book, though, I had absolutely no idea just how many projects Ashley's been involved with over the years before I read it. I'd love to see a Volume 3 one day, covering the mid 90's to the present day !
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »

I meant in the intervening years, but thanks.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »

I don't believe it has ever been published physically, no.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2022, 08:43:38 PM »

I don't believe it has ever been published physically, no.

I wish it was in book form…

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 08:56:12 PM »

Pity, as it is well written.  I hate reading books in PDF form, but needs must.  I have at least managed to find the date of the gig at Bohunt School (misnamed Beauhunt), Liphook (which featured Ashley, Simon and DM): Mar 17 1984.  I'm fairly certain it's from there I picked up a leaflet for Cropredy...which later that year was my first.

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2022, 09:07:16 AM »

Not that this has anything to do with this thread Grin, but 1984 was my first Cropredy, too (the 5th Annual Reunion)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2022, 09:33:51 AM »

Not that this has anything to do with this thread Grin, but 1984 was my first Cropredy, too (the 5th Annual Reunion)

God, I loved it.  Barely spent anything during the festival so I could afford a copy of The Boot to take home with me...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: