TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:24:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: No More Please  (Read 56338 times)
Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2007, 10:51:52 PM »

Ollie you are mistaken there is the legendary Swarbrick, Thompson, Pegg clogging trinity managed by young Simon they toured the USA in 1970. In certain US states this threesome viewed with fear and trepidation in case they come back and once again take the blue ribbon at the Tennessee clogging championship.

Now enough of this and lets get back to discussing how wonderful Gottle O' Geer really is.

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2007, 11:11:34 PM »

Right, and if you listen to Gottle o' Geer very closely......backwards......in a very damp place......you'll find that the album actually chronicles this very event in '70!  Of which, we still have a pretty bad taste in our mouths over here!  Richard's backflips were highly unoxthadox, but it was the Swarb "cheeze cake" pose at the finish that got the blue ribbon.  
the beat goes on

« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2007, 09:59:57 AM »

After listening to "Unhalfbricking" again recently I have to say I really don't get "A Sailors Life".  It's the only track on the album I have to skip. Anyone else feel the same way?
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2007, 10:17:39 AM »

After listening to "Unhalfbricking" again recently I have to say I really don't get "A Sailors Life".  It's the only track on the album I have to skip. Anyone else feel the same way?

With you all the way! It's so-called importance as a signpost to the development of British folk-rock seems to blind people to the fact that it drags on interminably - meaningless west-coast style guitar noodling gratuitously tagged onto a simple folk tune   Tongue

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »

With you all the way! It's so-called importance as a signpost to the development of British folk-rock seems to blind people to the fact that it drags on interminably - meaningless west-coast style guitar noodling gratuitously tagged onto a simple folk tune   Tongue

Interesting that it is the guitar noodling that you focus on. I'm not fond of the track myself but I infinitely prefer the alternative take on RTs Watching The Dark anthology which has no Swarb but the guitar remains. It is less dirge like somehow.
sliprigilio (Al)
my it's should be its

Loc: Cornwall

« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2007, 11:23:35 AM »

Interesting that it is the guitar noodling that you focus on. I'm not fond of the track myself but I infinitely prefer the alternative take on RTs Watching The Dark anthology which has no Swarb but the guitar remains. It is less dirge like somehow.

Well...I think it's great - RT's guitar tone is superb and he doesn't noodle to my ears - but then again I simply adore West coast style guitar 'noodling'. OK old beans?! Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pat Helms

« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2007, 12:55:41 PM »

I've always thought that the anthology outtake benefited from the great mix for Martin.  Its so upfront and hypnotic.  It shows his brilliance throughout! 

Taking the lead by himself, Richard's guitar work is a wide open assault, instead of the weaving (or "noodling" if you'd rather) approach he used to accommodate Swarb's part on the album version.

I much prefer the outtake as well.
BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2007, 01:01:31 PM »

Aaah....  A Sailor's Life....One of the best things they ever did in my book. And, for the record, that which you calls a noodle is nothing like a noodle- practically invented Television's art-rock patent ten years before the event, that did. Wink Mmm....maybe stretching it a bit there, but a definite resemblence to TV's Marquee Moon, particularly in the outtake version.

If I had to lose anything off Unhalfbricking it would be Si Tu Dois Partir...and actually would prefer never to hear Ashley Hutchings sing Million Dollar Bash again Embarrassed . Sorry, it really makes me cringe.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »

I picked out the Watching the Dark set for in-car listening this morning, but put disc 2 in.  Reading this thread, I really must replace it with disc 1 & listen again to A Sailor's Life (the Unhalfbricking version I have to admit I tend to skip, although its not as hard to listen to as the version sung by June Tabor with FC at Cropredy years ago - must have been an off-night for the monitors, as singer & band just don't gel).

Flobbadob!
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #109 on: August 02, 2007, 09:07:51 PM »

aha!  a mention of ms tuneless and it has to be inconjunction with her devastingly bad rendition of a song that towers above all in the fairport canon, at least the chaps were in splendid form that night

noodling! effing NOODLING!!! you really want to get your heads out of your arses

The Dude abides
Pat Helms

« Reply #110 on: August 02, 2007, 10:38:35 PM »

You can say he noodles........barbed wired noodles maybe, but.......... Wink
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #111 on: August 06, 2007, 06:37:57 PM »

Ok driving down the road listening to Fairport and it suddenly struck me as I forwarded through half a CD there are songs I would rather not hear right now, so in no particular order:

Woodworm Swing
Red and Gold
Walk Awhile
Journeyman's Grace (I know I must be out of my mind)
The Hiring Fair

I may change my mind.

When DM was in the band, I used to always cringe when I saw get up from his drum kit - I knew The Hiring Fair was coming up, and it's one of those songs that sounds like nails grating on a blackboard. In fact, I'd spent the whole concert willing DM to not stand up and walk over to the keyboard. Sometimes, I was tempted to take an air pistol and shoot him in the hand just to stop him.

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #112 on: August 06, 2007, 06:56:02 PM »

It's funny you should say this about Hiring Fair as the first version I heard was on In Real Time with DM playing keyboards, and I really miss it.

I think my least favourite FC track is Reynardine (I shall probably be lynched for this) but I know I'm going to hear as part of the L&L set so I'm over it.

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jefferson

Loc: Littlehampton, West Sussex

« Reply #113 on: August 06, 2007, 07:07:18 PM »

Funny you should say that Bridgwit - I've just put on L&L on the CD player (I've not played for 6 months or so) and Reynardine sounds, well,  'strained' - it doesn't seem to go anywhere (musically that is!)

As for Hiring Fair - I just sail away up to the heavens when Ric's starts playing after "...and the moon rose...".

Brilliant!

PS: Funny how Monday starts as 'Cropredy Holiday Week' even thought I'm not leaving until Thursday! Grin

... and don't go mistaking paradise for that home across the road!
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #114 on: August 06, 2007, 10:48:13 PM »

For me Reynardine is one of the most beautiful things ever recorded by anyone. It's an awesome interpretation of a very dark and brooding song. I think Chris While might change a few minds on Friday night.
BPTNT
5-18

Loc: london W11

Tarzan versus the BPI

« Reply #115 on: August 06, 2007, 11:02:07 PM »

Yeah...does it for me too Wink. Reynardine is a definite favourite but then I guess I like all the really dirgey, bleak stuff...Poor Will, Sailors Life, Doctor Monk, Nottamun Town, North Star Grassman et al.  Keep all those happy-clappy jigs and sing-along songs in their place, I say.  Wink

Ben (not a killjoy in the least)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #116 on: August 07, 2007, 08:52:11 AM »

For me Reynardine is one of the most beautiful things ever recorded by anyone. It's an awesome interpretation of a very dark and brooding song. I think Chris While might change a few minds on Friday night.

well she wont be changing my mind,i hope cos ive always loved it as i have the lp
you know, i really cant wait for friday night

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #117 on: August 07, 2007, 09:40:47 AM »

well she wont be changing my mind,i hope cos ive always loved it as i have the lp
you know, i really cant wait for friday night

But don't let that spoil your enjoyment of what's coming before.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #118 on: August 09, 2007, 12:59:58 PM »

aha!  a mention of ms tuneless and it has to be inconjunction with her devastingly bad rendition of a song that towers above all in the fairport canon, at least the chaps were in splendid form that night

noodling! effing NOODLING!!! you really want to get your heads out of your arses

Amen to that... Some people were clearly born (a) deaf and (b) for hanging...

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: