TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:41:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Knights of the Road' and 'The Plainsman'  (Read 8751 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: April 19, 2007, 10:30:45 AM »

Knights of the Road and The Plainsman are my favourite tracks from the Rosie album, yet it always kind of bothers me that these aren't really Fairport performances, but a kind of ersatz Fotheringay shoehorned into impersonating Fairport.  Even with all the lineup changes Fairport have had, this still strikes me as something of a deception or a masquerade.  Silly really - I should just enjoy what I enjoy and not worry about who plays what.

But let me come to the point - are there any decent quality (soundboard or otherwise) live versions of Knights of the Road or The Plainsman perfomed by the Fairport Nine lineup?  Just so I can hear how those songs sounded played by a working lineup of the band.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:33:33 AM »

well they were written by Trevor ,who, having been in fotheringay,joined fairport in their hour of need and stamped his, not inconsiderable, personality on the band who were deperately in need of it having gone through 3 years of constant changes, lineups that didnt work etc.
 and the chaps were in need of a songwriter,at the time, even Peggy was having to chip in

so whats the beef?

The Dude abides
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:38:23 AM »

Given that only one member of Fotheringay has never been in Fairport, I can't see the problem.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:54:07 AM »

so whats the beef?

No real beef.  It's just that the tracks were already recorded by the Sandy-less Fotheringay before Trevor and Jerry joined Swarb and Peggy.  And then they removed Pat's bass, and maybe Swarb overdubbed a little something.  So they're not true Fairport recordings as such - their genesis predates the Rosie sessions.

Like I said though, I love both songs.  I just want to hear what they sounded like played live.

Jules

Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »

Given that only one member of Fotheringay has never been in Fairport, I can't see the problem.

Gerry was in Fotheringay too, wasn't he? He said pedantically. Mind you, he was only the drummer.

What am I doing! Talking about Fairport Convention!

David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 12:24:48 PM »

Gerry was in Fotheringay too, wasn't he? He said pedantically. Mind you, he was only the drummer.

What am I doing! Talking about Fairport Convention!

But Pat Donaldson has never been in FC - hence PLW's point.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 12:32:59 PM »

I know the lines between Fairport and Fotheringay are blurred at best.  Hence the "Fotheringay Confusion" tag.  But I hear little if any Swarb on these songs, and if Peggy hadn't dubbed over Pat's bass parts then they really wouldn't be Fairport tracks at all.....not unless you consider the Fotheringay album to be really a Fairport album!

I hear Jerry is putting the original Fotheringay version of The Plainsman on Fotheringay 2.  I wonder if Knights of the Road will make it as well....?

Anyway, back to my original question - do either of these songs exist in decent quality live versions from 1972/3?

Jules

Edthefolkie
The relish on the baguette

Loc: East Midlands, UK

Sir John gives me guidance

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 11:54:39 PM »

written by Trevor

I have a feeling that the lyrics for The Plainsman, and maybe those of Knights of the Road, and others, were written by a chap called Pete Roche. I think that he was mates with Trev.  

About 4 poems by Pete appear in a 1967 Corgi paperback edited by Mr. Roche, called "Love, Love, Love - The New Love Poetry" - which I have the honour to possess. I can report that it contains poems by the Adrians Mitchell and Henri - Brian Patten - Roger McGough - and Pete Brown (of the well known "Beat Group" Pete Brown's Battered Ornaments). Some of the poems are great and some are....errr..... The cover has a rather risque painting of a young gentleman and a young lady cuddling on a cloud - a ship with oars & a heart-shaped sail floats in the distance.

(For younger readers, I am not making this up, I swear - Jude, can you back me up here on the wonders of psychedelia? I bet you remember 1967 & all them pome thingies don't you?)

Love & peace and that (and sorry to lurch off topic) - Ed

Sorry dear, Rabelais' off
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 08:49:06 AM »

written by Trevor

I have a feeling that the lyrics for The Plainsman, and maybe those of Knights of the Road, and others, were written by a chap called Pete Roche. I think that he was mates with Trev.  

About 4 poems by Pete appear in a 1967 Corgi paperback edited by Mr. Roche, called "Love, Love, Love - The New Love Poetry" - which I have the honour to possess. I can report that it contains poems by the Adrians Mitchell and Henri - Brian Patten - Roger McGough - and Pete Brown (of the well known "Beat Group" Pete Brown's Battered Ornaments). Some of the poems are great and some are....errr..... The cover has a rather risque painting of a young gentleman and a young lady cuddling on a cloud - a ship with oars & a heart-shaped sail floats in the distance.

(For younger readers, I am not making this up, I swear - Jude, can you back me up here on the wonders of psychedelia? I bet you remember 1967 & all them pome thingies don't you?)

Love & peace and that (and sorry to lurch off topic) - Ed

Oh yes. He's quite right, that Edthefolkie. Cool

Now listen here all you babies, the sky was lemon-coloured, and the trees were red and all was beautiful mannnnn, so cool......burble burble....but only for a short while.

Then it turned back to what it was. Black & White - Colour telly hadn't been invented then. Grin Cheesy Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 09:33:06 AM »

Boring, I know, but I'll just interpose the fact that colour tv was first broadcast in this country in July 1967 on BBC2.

BBC1 and ITV followed suit in 1969.

I'll get me coat.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 10:09:10 AM »

Yes. Well. It was meant as a small joke, Andy Roll Eyes

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 11:55:15 AM »

we didnt get a colour tv till 1970/71 because i had to pesuade my mam to swap up and promise to pay half the rental,i think it was a fiver a month, a big jump after paying 25/- for the black and white
 i can be certain about the date because that was after i had started working for a living

The Dude abides
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: