TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unusual Fairport shows  (Read 28484 times)
Magic Fingers

« on: February 27, 2007, 03:08:20 PM »

I wondered if anyone would care to share any memories of unusual Fairport shows down the years.  I daresay that this subject has been discussed before, but then I suspect that most subjects have been discussed here before!  Whatever, here’s one for starters.  I always try to catch a couple of shows each tour, and 2002 was no exception. I first went down to Somerset for the Yeovil show, and then ten days later headed for Worthing.  Vikki Clayton was supporting the band on this tour, and all went well in Yeovil, but at Worthing something was clearly amiss.  Vikki had begun the show by playing some songs from Looking at the Stars, Fairport joining her for the title track, but, unusually, she remained on stage as Fairport began the first half of their set.  It transpired that Simon, sitting silently with his guitar in the background, had completely lost his voice, necessitating, as you can imagine, some last-minute set-list changes (I discovered during the interval that Peggy had rung Vikki up earlier in the day, explained the problem, asked her which songs she knew the words to, and then later called her back to tell her which ones she’d be singing!  And not to tell anyone that there’d be a few surprises at the end ;o)).  So lead vocals were shared between Chris and Vikki throughout the show, with Anna Ryder, who wasn’t due to be appearing, on hand to help out during My Love Is In America and Talking About My Love.  But the best bits did indeed occur towards the end of an understandably shortened second half.  Crazy Man Michael made an appearance, followed by a surprise Tam Lin (both with VC on lead vocals). I have to say that Tam Lin is one of my personal all-time favourites, and a song that was miles away from being included in any likely set-list at that time (before you ask, personally I think the new version is very good indeed), so you can imagine my delight when it was introduced as being “for a friend from Croydon who’s in tonight”.  I have moved since ;o)  Anyway, we then got Matty, of course, again with Vikki taking the vocals, back for an encore of some jigs and finally Vikki one more time for a wonderful Who Knows Where The Time Goes?  And then goodnight.  That’s all folks.  No Meet tonight.  

So there you have it.  A hugely enjoyable gig despite the circumstances, and my entry for the Unusual Show Awards.  Anyone else?

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 03:30:57 PM »

Wasn't there a show the year Simon injured his leg when instead of him leaving the stage for the interval, the crew threw a black sheet over him?  I'm sure I've seen a pic somewhere... one of Chris Bates' perhaps?

The most different gig I've seen was the recording of the Granada show in the dunes at Ainsdale (Southport), when sets by Steeley & FC were followed by a "jam" featuring members of both bands. As far as I know, the sound guys didn't record it.....

Flobbadob!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 05:27:30 PM »

Probably the Bosworth battlefield gig a couple of years ago when the stage was the trailer part of an articulated lorry. The sound system and lighting completely overwhelmed the power available which kept tripping out and the set continued by torchlight into the gathering gloom.

Terrific venue, lovely people and a great show - although the benches were a bit firm!!
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 05:30:01 PM »

Probably the Bosworth battlefield gig a couple of years ago

Before anyone reminds me Lips Sealed

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 05:34:10 PM »

How much is worth not to Goaty?  Wink

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 06:46:25 PM »

What about the one on  May Bank holiday about 5 years ago when they played outdoors in the centre of Chipping Norton. Maart played instead of Chris, who was unavailable. Loved it even though it was underrehearsed and Simon forgot a few words.
Also the unamplified gig in Deddington church with the acoustic line up of Simon, Peggy, Ric and Maart, with other guests including Chris and Beryl. The lights failed and everyone carried on singing in the dark.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 06:56:49 PM »

The Millennium New Year's Eve show in Beverley was certainly a little 'unusual'....a) because I reckon it's almost certainly the only Millennium NYE I'll attend (even if it was a year early) and b) because the mass singalong to Hard Day's Night was a genuine unexpected delight.  And finally because Mr Pegg kissed me.  I've never washed since...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:56 PM »

I was lucky enough to be at both the Bosworth gig and the Deddington one...

At Bosworth some of my friends held their torches up to illuminate the band... I seem to recall Ewen missed this one...  Grin Wink

At the Deddington gig Ralph McTell was a special guest.. that was in 1994.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 07:58:43 PM »

Just goes to show what a great set of people they are. Give the paying public a bit of good old music and show them the audience is appreciated.

All too easy to cancel a gig when someone takes sick.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 08:04:05 PM »

We went to a barn dance in Fareham a good few years ago, and Peggy and Simon were in the barn dance band.

A great evening was had by all. They were very unassuming, and just played along with the band.

Paul

Stationary M25 Traveller

Loc: Not quite over the hill, Kent

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »

We caught them playing in a tiny hall attached to a bar in Braedstrup, Denmark, in October 2005. We were touring on holiday, and happened to see a poster, and got tickets an hour before the gig.

The stage was about 8 feet wide - a very intimate affair.

It was absolutely fabulous.

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun, but it's sinking...

And racing around to come up behind you again.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:41:26 PM »

Wasn't there a show the year Simon injured his leg when instead of him leaving the stage for the interval, the crew threw a black sheet over him?  I'm sure I've seen a pic somewhere... one of Chris Bates' perhaps?

Canterbury Marlowe if I remember correctly....

What about the one on  May Bank holiday about 5 years ago

Put on by the town mayor at the time, I believe. She's still a Councillor & is likely to be at the end of tour party in Chippy, in a week or so.

The Millennium New Year's Eve show in Beverley was certainly a little 'unusual'....

Oh wow! Yes, definitely my favourite 'unusual' gig....the place  absolutely rocked. I even appeared in the front row when I was actually at the back taking photos!

Yup, me too - along with the others mentioned above. Bring on the next one.....

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2007, 09:10:28 PM »

Canterbury Marlowe if I remember correctly....

What about the one on  May Bank holiday about 5 years ago

Put on by the town mayor at the time, I believe. She's still a Councillor & is likely to be at the end of tour party in Chippy, in a week or so.

The Millennium New Year's Eve show in Beverley was certainly a little 'unusual'....

Oh wow! Yes, definitely my favourite 'unusual' gig....the place  absolutely rocked. I even appeared in the front row when I was actually at the back taking photos!

Yup, me too - along with the others mentioned above. Bring on the next one.....

Didn't the mayor waffle a bit, which in the end prevented an encore.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2007, 09:18:42 PM »

Ah the days of Ewen the Navigator  Cheesy

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2007, 09:20:03 PM »

The wrong day wasn't it??

Grin Grin Grin

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:00 PM »

The wrong day wasn't it??

Grin Grin Grin

Wrong place wasn't it Goaty ?

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2007, 09:41:59 PM »

I knew it was one or the other.. expect you're right Nuts...

Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:42 PM »

Tongue Lips Sealed

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2007, 09:52:05 PM »

Ah yes, the Battle to find Bosworth..

Ashby Fest, mid 90's for me. Not particularly unusual except for being in a marquee but the least formal of any gigs I've been to and huge fun. (not that that's unusual either)

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2007, 09:57:19 PM »

I remember that one too clive.. I think we've talked about it..

There were a few 'refreshed' peeps there.......

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: