TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:23:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Lasting Spirit - The Collection (3CD)  (Read 13005 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: February 15, 2007, 01:33:51 PM »

Anyone identify this one, on sdale at PLay.com for £11.99.

It's got to be a compilation or a three-fer, surely? What live or recorded albums was this originally?
The track List -

Disc 1
Some Sweet Day
You're Gonna Need My Help
Both Sides Now
You Never Wanted Me
Dear Landlord
Night In The City
Marcie
Fotheringay
Sir Patrick Spens
Wings
Suzanne
Jack O'Diamonds
Time Will Show The Wiser
Mr Lacey
Genesis Hall
Reynardine
Million Dollar Bash
Matty Groves

Disc 2
Set Me Up
Medley: Cup Of Tea/Loaf Of Bread/Miss Monohan's
Sock In It
All Your Beauty
London River
Honour And Praise
Rhythm Of The Time
How Many Times
Red & Gold
Wat Tyler
The Wishfullness Waltz
Claudy Banks
Medley - Mock Morris: The Green Man/The Cropredy Badger/Molly On The Jetty
Summer Before The War
Sigh Beg Sigh Mor

Disc 3
Walk Awhile
John Gaudie
Poor Will & The Jolly Hangman
Come All Ye
Sloth
Fiddlestix
Solo
Close To The Wind
Jewel In The Crown
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Woodworm Swing
Si Tu DDois Partir
Who Knows Where The Time Goes
Meet On The Ledge

jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 01:53:31 PM »

It was released ages ago in 2005 by Sanctuary.

I'm sure there was a thread about it but I can't find it

It is a compilation but the tracks were chosen seperately as opposed to being originally released on three CDs

Here's the link on Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lasting-Spirit-Collection-Fairport-Convention/dp/B0007VUEM6/sr=8-2/qid=1171547794/ref=sr_1_2/203-2663210-2248722?ie=UTF8&s=music

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »

Fairport are turning into Folk-Rock's version of Hawkwind...dozens and dozens of albums all duplicating the same material with dreadful covers, and no doubt minimalist and/or inaccurate information....can't imagine this kind of album helps put much of a roof onto Peggy's French retreat!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 02:51:38 PM »

This is mostly a compilation from the run of albums from Glady's Leap (1985) to Who Knows Where The Time Goes (1997). A lot of live stuff on the first disc from The Cropredy Box (1997's 30th Anniversary Souvenir) and I think from the 1992 festival on disc 3. Not sure what the source of the first 6 or 7 tracks on disc 1 is though.

Bob Barrows
Give me time ... it will wear on me
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Auburn, MA USA

Bob

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »

I've recognized bits from the Cropredy box set, as well as stuff from The Guv'nor series.
Staffan
Swedes stun easily
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Skärhamn, Sweden

"Always look on the bright side of life..."

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2007, 06:07:25 AM »

This was on a thread in June 2005. I bought the album since it was ridiculously low priced in my usual Swedish webshop but since the info on the album is meagre, I saved up the following info:
Disc One , tracks 1-8, from the Guv´nor series, 9-17 from the Cropredy Box (1997)
Disc Two tr 1 Red & Gold 2-4 Five Seasons 5 Red & Gold 6 Gladys 7 Five Seasons 9 Cropredy Box 10 Gladys 11 Who knows 12-13 Five Seasons 14 Red & Gold 15 Expletive
Disc Three 1-7 Cropredy Box 8 Red & Gold HTD bonus track 9 Cropredy Box 10 Who knows 11-13 Cropredy Box.
A nice introduction to people who haven't heard Fairport but in no way exciting to even the casual follower of Fairport in the 21st century.
Staffan

" -Just a roll, just a roll..."

" -I was 16 now and full of life..."
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2007, 10:35:49 AM »

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere and I apologise for the slight topic drift but I've always thought The Cropredy Box is, in its own right, about the best 3 disc introduction to the band you can get, covering all phases of their career (albeit with inevitable substitute Sandys).
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 04:43:55 PM »

Fairport are turning into Folk-Rock's version of Hawkwind...dozens and dozens of albums all duplicating the same material with dreadful covers, and no doubt minimalist and/or inaccurate information....can't imagine this kind of album helps put much of a roof onto Peggy's French retreat!

Too true, especially as FC a la Hawkwind have bulked out recent albums with reworkings of earlier material!  A quick look at our local HMV shows that the FC section is stuffed full of odd compilations, essentially compiling the same Red and Gold/Five Seasons/sundry live material.  

A folk-rock Hawkwind is something to think about - Simon House on violin etc: or perhaps Simon Nicol could do a version of Sonic Attack at Cropredy this year??

Thank Drunk I'm God
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 04:49:42 PM »

A lot of the compilations (ie this 'Lasting Spirit' one) are put together by the record companies that have been leased the tracks, not Fairport themselves and they have no say in the matter of what compilations are released.

Anyway I only get told if I'm on something when it's about to be released.  Cheesy

Simon House. Lovely man! Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2007, 04:49:57 PM »

......can't imagine this kind of album helps put much of a roof onto Peggy's French retreat!

Is it any of our business where, or upon what, the proceeds of an album are spent?  

Where do we draw the line between expressing opinion, and safeguarding people's privacy?

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
GubGub (Al)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 05:08:08 PM »

......can't imagine this kind of album helps put much of a roof onto Peggy's French retreat!

Is it any of our business where, or upon what, the proceeds of an album are spent?  

Where do we draw the line between expressing opinion, and safeguarding people's privacy?

I didn't get the impressiion that the comment was intended to cause offence. The opposite actually. I think the point is that the endless licensing of material for multiple, ill thought through, interchangeable compilations is likely to be of little benefit to the band. I'm sure I remember Peggy expressing a similar opinion about the marketing of some of the band's back catalogue some years ago. I think it is legitimate to express a hope that the material is not being exploited for the benefit of some faceless record company without some reward accruing to the band.
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2007, 05:10:25 PM »

I didn't get the impressiion that the comment was intended to cause offence.

No offence caused here; merely a sensitive and an enquiring mind asking a couple of questions, GubGub  Cheesy Smiley

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 02:08:59 PM »

Too true, especially as FC a la Hawkwind have bulked out recent albums with reworkings of earlier material!  A quick look at our local HMV shows that the FC section is stuffed full of odd compilations, essentially compiling the same Red and Gold/Five Seasons/sundry live material.  

A folk-rock Hawkwind is something to think about - Simon House on violin etc: or perhaps Simon Nicol could do a version of Sonic Attack at Cropredy this year??

. . .but who would play Stacia's role?
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 02:20:02 PM »

I didn't get the impressiion that the comment was intended to cause offence. The opposite actually. I think the point is that the endless licensing of material for multiple, ill thought through, interchangeable compilations is likely to be of little benefit to the band. I'm sure I remember Peggy expressing a similar opinion about the marketing of some of the band's back catalogue some years ago. I think it is legitimate to express a hope that the material is not being exploited for the benefit of some faceless record company without some reward accruing to the band.

When Hawkwind were signed to Columbia - a major label - ex members and old labels and anyone's uncle were releasing all sorts of "unofficial" live recordings and stuff. Hawkwind were dumped eventually as they said they couldn't market any new CDs when the marketplace was cluttered up with other material.

I find it confusing sometimes (I'm a Hawkwind fan) as there's all sorts of stuff been released. I gave up buying it as most of it is dreadful!

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2007, 09:01:32 PM »

So you bring up these topics, and I'm afraid I can't keep quiet! This is quite a nice collection, with excellent sleeve notes by Kingsley Abbot, and some good notes for each track too, but the best bit................ two of the CD covers feature photos from my book 'Festival Folk' !!!!   What more can I say!   (Sanctuary also kindly included a plug for my book - and hence indirectly for the Teenage Cancer Trust).

ok, I'll shut up about it now!!!
cheers
Joss  
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »

I have the album. It was one of the first that I brought of Fairport (I'm fairly new to the folk-rock scene) and I found it really helpful. Although looking back at the sleeve notes with hindsight, there are a few mistakes ie Ric Saunders. I thought that somebody like Patrick Humphreys wouldn't make that mistake.

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2007, 10:13:11 PM »

I have the album. It was one of the first that I brought of Fairport (I'm fairly new to the folk-rock scene) and I found it really helpful. Although looking back at the sleeve notes with hindsight, there are a few mistakes ie Ric Saunders. I thought that somebody like Patrick Humphreys wouldn't make that mistake.

I can't tell whether that is a brilliant joke or an amusing mistake?  If the former, congratulations   Wink ...if the latter...um, it's Humphries...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2007, 12:43:13 PM »

I can't tell whether that is a brilliant joke or an amusing mistake?  If the former, congratulations   Wink ...if the latter...um, it's Humphries...

um... I knew that.... Embarrassed

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2007, 01:15:37 PM »

Dowloaded this album and just listening now- not bad some good tracks on there that i don't have elsewhere! Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: