TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:24:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 160526 times)
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #180 on: February 28, 2007, 11:38:04 PM »

Anyone going to be at the Fairfield Hall tomorrow night?

Yes I am going - I managed to get front row seats by booking 10 seconds after the Fairfield Hall's advanced programme hit my door mat! We will probably end up with neck ache but should get a good view of Ric's T shirt (no guesses what that will be either)
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2007, 09:57:49 PM »

Weston Super Mare last night, very enjoyable evening and didn't Beth from TTL do well on a verse of Who Knows Where The Time Goes,  a well deserved round of applause ensued.

Beth sang on Who Knows Where the Time Goes? How wonderful. She did a verse of MOTL at Birmingham - is that what you mean: or is she edging her way further into the band? Whatever she sang she does have a lovely voice.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #182 on: March 01, 2007, 10:32:09 PM »

Weston Super Mare last night, very enjoyable evening and didn't Beth from TTL do well on a verse of Who Knows Where The Time Goes,  a well deserved round of applause ensued.

Beth sang on Who Knows Where the Time Goes? How wonderful. She did a verse of MOTL at Birmingham - is that what you mean: or is she edging her way further into the band? Whatever she sang she does have a lovely voice.

http://www.fairportconvention.com/general_news.php

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #183 on: March 01, 2007, 10:40:23 PM »

Or even our own TTL tour diary.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Magic Fingers

« Reply #184 on: March 02, 2007, 11:43:34 AM »

Phew!  As a newbie I have been loath to make any comments about the Yeovil show I attended a couple of weeks ago.  Basically because the show was somewhat……..lacklustre.  But last night’s gig in Croydon was a humdinger.  For a start we had four Tiny Tin Ladies (no Kat down in Yeovil), we got the Tam Lin dance, Beth’s second Who Knows? duet with Simon (and again well-deserved applause), and a full stage for Meet, none of which occurred down in Yeovil.  Fairport seemed fired up all night, the sound was excellent, at least from where I was sitting, and apart from the idiot who shouted “Do the Funky Gibbon then” as Simon stepped up to begin Who Knows? (for which Simon apologised to all), everything went smoothly throughout the evening.  The new songs all seemed far more passionate than before (except South Dakota, which I somehow don’t think is destined to become a classic), and I for one love the fact that Simon is picking up his electric guitar far more this time round than in recent years (I miss the electric edge that Maart brought to the band).  The new arrangements of Polly on the Shore and Tam Lin are just excellent to my ears, and the Deserter is always a treat.  What more can I say?

All in all, a terrific show, and I suspect everyone headed home very happy bunnies.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."
Bryan

Loc: Caterham, Surrey

« Reply #185 on: March 02, 2007, 12:03:22 PM »

Yes Beth sang a verse of WKWTTG for the second time at Croydon last night, absolute magic, and another spontaneous round of applause one
of those moments that will stay with you forever. The TTL Elfin dance routine to Tam Lin was quite memorable as well ! There was a small groan
from the audience when Simon announced the encore was not as we might expect but all was well and everyone went home happy with a new
song to learn for August. A great night, thanks to everyone concerned.

Bryan
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #186 on: March 02, 2007, 01:22:59 PM »

A colleague who went also reported an excellent show.  Hope your evening wasn't dampened too much by "the Gas", Dave...
[/quote]

Hmmm...thanks Paul, I resisted finding out the score 'till I got home, somehow it wasn't too great a shock/disappointment,  most likely because I'd just had a great evening watching FC and had a good excuse not to listen to the commentary of the match!  Gas heads at work next day were unbearably smug!
And yes...Beth did sing a verse of WKWTTG at W-S-M, I wasn't getting confused....for a change.
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #187 on: March 02, 2007, 05:10:24 PM »

Yes Croydon was well worth the effort: grim place, great music.
The latest  Matty was terrific, great to see/hear Simon on top rocking form!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #188 on: March 02, 2007, 08:33:41 PM »

I saw them at the beginning of the tour at Tunbridge Wells I thought the Croydon gig was better - although I thought Simon was a bit "rockier" on Matty at Tunbridge which I liked .  TTL certainly seemed to be gaining confidence and benefitted from the additional member on violin and Ric did a couple of different "jokes" !  
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #189 on: March 02, 2007, 08:42:42 PM »

Isn't this years version of Matty the best ever? Rock and Roll chaps! Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #190 on: March 03, 2007, 12:22:17 AM »

Anyone going to Southport next Thursday? I'll be there as will Dad Volt. Bernie are you going?

If anybody is going send me or DV an IM cause the bar at the Arts Centre is **** and if there are others coming we could arrange to meet elsewhere.

cheers

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #191 on: March 03, 2007, 12:52:37 AM »

Cracking gig at Peterborough. They seem to be getting better and better as the tour goes on. Rocking Wink

as for the dance.................................. Roll Eyes

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #192 on: March 03, 2007, 01:00:40 AM »

I am Jelous Di. Was it a good gig?

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #193 on: March 03, 2007, 01:25:13 AM »

wasnt that a hit for byron ferrari

The Dude abides
Neil Morrell
Candlestick in the Library
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: St Helens, Lancs

Be careful Mr President - I think he's drunkkk!

« Reply #194 on: March 03, 2007, 03:14:29 AM »

Anyone going to Southport next Thursday? I'll be there as will Dad Volt. Bernie are you going?

If anybody is going send me or DV an IM cause the bar at the Arts Centre is **** and if there are others coming we could arrange to meet elsewhere.

cheers

MikeC

I'm not.  Hope you enjoy it though!

No longer active on TAW.  Cheers Y'all!!
Dad Volt
Disturber of the Peace
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Preston Lancs

Same as before!

« Reply #195 on: March 04, 2007, 12:09:09 AM »

There's a review here of the Edinburgh gig by someone who apprently wasn't there or maybe was just incredibly disinterested. It's difficult to tell.

And this one from someone who seems to have actually been there http://living.scotsman.com/music.cfm?id=303402007

Happy mainly.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #196 on: March 04, 2007, 12:57:21 AM »

St David's Hall was tonight's venue. Met up with Gower Flower and also saw Katy's Mum and Katy. Any other TAW's there?

Tiny Tin Lady were very good. I thought them a but reedy in Cropredy 2004 but they've matured and sang well.  The Long Suffering Mr Bridgwit enjoyed them especially as they were from up narth, and bought the album. I can't help thinking that they would have a record contract by now if they were male, but they're doing OK to be supporting FC!

FC were considerably better than when we saw them this time last year in The Parr Hall, Warrington. The cameraderie between Chris and Ric is very evident and, IMHO, holds the key to the future continuance and success of the band. Simon was in fine voice, and soon had a good rapport with the audience. Diolch, Simon! Great to see Gerry out front singing and Peggy seemed a lot more relaxed. I loved the new versions and the new songs from SoO sounded great live. Will listen to the album tomorrow.

Peggy gave Gower Flower a mention! She didn't notice the first time (doh!) but certainly did the second time, waving her hands abut so everyone knew where she was sitting.

Too tired to type any more, suffice to say they were very good and I can't wait to see them at Cropredy.  Tiara

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Folkie (Jen)
Cropredy Princess

I'm a teacher now...

« Reply #197 on: March 04, 2007, 01:05:20 AM »

I was there, too.
It certainly was the best Fairport gig in years! They rocked, the sound was clear and great.
I loved how the Tiny Tin girls danced on stage  Grin
Beth is doing a really nice performance on WKWTTG and MotL. I can see a candidate for the Cropredy slot for those 2 songs there.

Jen  Cheesy

*Cropredy princess Wink *
(Hey! I have a custom title!!!!!)
you dream too much
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #198 on: March 04, 2007, 01:17:05 AM »

Hi Jen glad you enjoyed it!

I forgot to say that - they did indeed rock. Much more than I've seen recently. And they looked as tho' they enjoyed themselves. Always a good sign  Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2007, 04:42:11 PM »

I was there, too.
It certainly was the best Fairport gig in years! They rocked, the sound was clear and great.
I loved how the Tiny Tin girls danced on stage  Grin
Beth is doing a really nice performance on WKWTTG and MotL. I can see a candidate for the Cropredy slot for those 2 songs there.

Jen  Cheesy

Am dead jeaalous about this! Can't wait to see Beth do this at Cropredy, which I do believe she will  Wink

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: