TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:14:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour 2007 - Your reviews & comments  (Read 162222 times)
Em
Equal Opportunity Employer

Loc: Glasgow

« Reply #160 on: February 26, 2007, 10:57:17 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyed the G2 gig. The pillars in the middle of the dance floor got in the way a bit, but the band were on form.  TTL were good in a teenage way and should have a bright future.  Gerry playing drums on their last number really gave it a lift and Danni singing on MOTL was fabulous.  It was a bit weird coming out at 9.30pm after a gig.

So, on to Edinburgh and more pillars at the Queens Hall.

It was Beth singing on MOTL, i think.

And the nine thirty thing was weird.

Those who matter don't mind, those who mind don't matter.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #161 on: February 26, 2007, 10:59:21 AM »

Beth is the younger, fairhaired Tiny.. she sang on the three gigs I went to.. unless they've changed over now...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Big Ade
Not the post card I expected

Loc: Dunblane, scotland

« Reply #162 on: February 26, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

You're right, Beth it was and she sang at Edinburgh as well and was excellent

There's nothing wrong with being normal, just don't be ordinary.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #163 on: February 26, 2007, 09:25:51 PM »

G2 is a smaller venue, out the back of The Garage veniue - is was heaving around the time you'd expect the gig to start....but at 7.15, when TTL came on, it was only half full....A club night started at 10.30, so the curfew was 10 sharp, and the lads wanted time to meet 'n greet afterwards, hence the 9.30 finish....but that just gave us longer in the pub afterwards! A big Hi! to the Clan McBastard who turned out in force for the Glasgow gig & were extremely hospitable in said boozer afterwards plying me with drink - and a lift back to the hotel....

Anyway - Berwick was pretty much sold out, G2 in Glasgow was heaving with dancers & the Queens Hall was full downstairs and decent numbers upstairs. All 3 gigs were superb, no probs, well-presented & rocking! Catch another if you can.....

GS (Graham)

Loc: Dunfermline

« Reply #164 on: February 27, 2007, 02:34:31 PM »

[Anyway - Berwick was pretty much sold out, G2 in Glasgow was heaving with dancers & the Queens Hall was full downstairs and decent numbers upstairs. All 3 gigs were superb, no probs, well-presented & rocking]

Just like to add, belatedly, that the Edinburgh gig on Sunday night was excellent.  The Queens Hall isn't the most comfortable venue (it's a converted church & the pews are a little hard!!) but there's usually a good atmosphere & the sound was terrific.

As an advocate for Fairport to return to Scotland I was pleased to see a good turnout on Sunday but chatting to Peggy after the gig he was a bit disappointed & bemused about the comparatively low turnout in Glasgow on Saturday.  Thinking about it afterwards that may have been down to the different venues & their respective approach to marketing.  The Queens Hall does regular mailings about forthcoming attractions & generally does a good job at banging the drum for events at the hall, whereas a Glaswegian friend I was talking to yesterday had been completely unaware that Fairport had been playing in the city.

Whatever the reason I hope that Scotland is well & truly back on the itinerary for future Fairport tours.

The King sits in Dunfermline toun drinking rather a lot of fine red wine actually.
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2007, 08:07:44 PM »

It also followed hard on the tail end of the near-month long Celtic Connections festival, so without some serious advertising (perhaps an ad in the CC programme would have been an idea?), it wasn't surprising that the attendance wasn't up to scratch.

Unfortunately, the promoter will have caught the cold, so to speak, and I sincerely hope they will continue to book Fairport there, and realise that the error was theirs, and not the band or their fans....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #166 on: February 28, 2007, 12:34:01 AM »

There's a review here of the Edinburgh gig by someone who apprently wasn't there or maybe was just incredibly disinterested. It's difficult to tell.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
AdrianW
always good to have a target to miss
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: South Cheshire

"The weird bloke"

« Reply #167 on: February 28, 2007, 03:07:28 AM »

There's a review here of the Edinburgh gig by someone who apprently wasn't there or maybe was just incredibly disinterested. It's difficult to tell.

Mmm. Reviewer working from home perhaps? (8-(

-- Adrian
I cried for madder music and for stronger wine,
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #168 on: February 28, 2007, 08:15:43 AM »

Looks like it, doesn't it?.....working from home with the new CD in front of him, I reckon.

Gets journalism a bad name.

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #169 on: February 28, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »

Looks like it, doesn't it?.....working from home with the new CD in front of him, I reckon.

Gets journalism a bad name.

I agree it is a lazy, **ss poor excuse for journalism, but it's hardly the most negative of reviews overall is it?  If it gets one person to a gig or to buy the album, no harm done...  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #170 on: February 28, 2007, 10:01:54 AM »

It's not a review, which is my major problem with it. Maybe someone who was there (Chris?) could email that paper with a proper review.

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #171 on: February 28, 2007, 10:36:58 AM »

If i thought that they'd print it, I would - but papers like that are only likely to print current stuff.

A letter to the editor would stand a better chance of being printed if it came from someone within their readership area too.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #172 on: February 28, 2007, 12:40:46 PM »

I don't think it has to be printed for the Editor to be helped to realise that this 'review' was unprofessional.

bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #173 on: February 28, 2007, 03:02:29 PM »

Weston Super Mare last night, very enjoyable evening and didn't Beth from TTL do well on a verse of Who Knows Where The Time Goes,  a well deserved round of applause ensued.

Made I laugh as the Playhouse Theatre advertised FC on one mail shot as the band with classics such as Matty Groves and Meet Me On The Corner!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #174 on: February 28, 2007, 03:53:15 PM »

Looking forward to St Albans more and more.  Smiley  Only a few days to go...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #175 on: February 28, 2007, 05:38:15 PM »

Weston Super Mare last night, very enjoyable evening and didn't Beth from TTL do well on a verse of Who Knows Where The Time Goes,  a well deserved round of applause ensued.

Made I laugh as the Playhouse Theatre advertised FC on one mail shot as the band with classics such as Matty Groves and Meet Me On The Corner!

A colleague who went also reported an excellent show.  Hope your evening wasn't dampened too much by "the Gas", Dave...

Flobbadob!
Magic Fingers

« Reply #176 on: February 28, 2007, 06:02:16 PM »

Anyone going to be at the Fairfield Hall tomorrow night?

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."
Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2007, 07:18:22 PM »

Looking forward to St Albans more and more.  Smiley  Only a few days to go...

Too right. Smiley
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2007, 07:48:22 PM »

Peterborough on Friday anyone?Huh?

(just got a front row seat Grin)

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »

How I wish!! Sad

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: