TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 01:37:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sense of Occasion  (Read 202477 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #420 on: March 04, 2007, 01:50:23 PM »

Bought SoO last night at the boy's (well, and lasses now!) concert at Cardiff. This is my first hearing and I'm enjoying it, but like all FC's albums I think it'll take a few listens to get comfortable with it.

Fave track so far is Edge of the World, would like to hear this played on R2 a lot - now if everyone on TAW could email Johnny Walker he'd have to play it!   Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #421 on: March 05, 2007, 05:25:46 PM »

At the risk of having things thrown at me, does anyone else think that Chris sounds like John Denver on Spring Song

rachel
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #422 on: March 05, 2007, 07:15:11 PM »

Stuff heading your way overhead rachel!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #423 on: March 05, 2007, 07:58:32 PM »

At the risk of having things thrown at me, does anyone else think that Chris sounds like John Denver on Spring Song

rachel

mmmm, no comment.

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #424 on: March 05, 2007, 08:18:14 PM »

rachel

Going to have a listen to it in the bath and I'll let you know after Rachel.  Smiley

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #425 on: March 05, 2007, 09:33:51 PM »

It'll sound different in the bath..... Grin Grin Grin Wink

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Anji
But is it art?
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh

How light becomes the soul

« Reply #426 on: March 05, 2007, 09:34:46 PM »

rachel

Going to have a listen to it in the bath and I'll let you know after Rachel.  Smiley

Does Rachel always have the first bath?  Roll Eyes

...better than I was and not as good as I will be...
Bridgwit (Bridget)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #427 on: March 05, 2007, 10:47:56 PM »

Do you know, almost immediately after I posted that I thought "This is going to sound either like I'm listening to it in the bath (as opposed to me being in the bath, listening) or like Rachel will be in the bath, or something".

Anyway, I listened to Bellowhead and Genesis instead so I'm no further towards the truth about John Denver and that nice Mr Chris Leslie.

It's been a long day  Sleepy

rachel

not a llama

« Reply #428 on: March 05, 2007, 11:00:54 PM »

First impressions of SoO. Love Hawkswood' Army and Edge of the World, Like the version of Tam Lin. The cover versions are fine and the instrumentals are ok but not been able to listen properly due to distracting noises. the rest will probably grow on me apart from Best Wishes which I find truly, truly awful. Oh well we can't all like everything

rachel
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #429 on: March 06, 2007, 12:12:04 AM »

First impressions of SoO. Love Hawkswood' Army and Edge of the World, Like the version of Tam Lin. The cover versions are fine and the instrumentals are ok but not been able to listen properly due to distracting noises. the rest will probably grow on me apart from Best Wishes which I find truly, truly awful. Oh well we can't all like everything

rachel

Haven't heard the album, but Best Wishes was wonderful live at Birmingham.
rachel

not a llama

« Reply #430 on: March 06, 2007, 07:36:07 AM »

Haven't heard the album, but Best Wishes was wonderful live at Birmingham.

It may be great live, It wouldn't be surprising as it seems to often happen that songs i don't like on cd are great live. Will know better after wednesday

rachel
Magic Fingers

« Reply #431 on: March 06, 2007, 02:43:25 PM »

Anyone any thoughts on the two versions of Galileo's Apology that Ric has been urging us all to buy (no, I didn't buy the t-shirt too!)?  For what it's worth, I like Fairport's version, but Peggy and PJ's is an absolute delight.  If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend that you do.

"Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is THE BEST..."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #432 on: March 06, 2007, 02:45:54 PM »

Anyone any thoughts on the two versions of Galileo's Apology that Ric has been urging us all to buy (no, I didn't buy the t-shirt too!)?  For what it's worth, I like Fairport's version, but Peggy and PJ's is an absolute delight.  If you haven't heard it, I highly recommend that you do.

I much prefer the Peggy and PJ version, but then I much prefer their album to SoO as well....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #433 on: March 06, 2007, 02:49:03 PM »

for what its worth i  think PJ and Peggy's cd is an absolute gem and a must have
i dont feel the same about SoO

The Dude abides
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #434 on: March 06, 2007, 05:36:30 PM »

If anybody wants to listen to the Peggy & PJ version, it's on the second part of this months FolkCast (always worth listening to) http://www.folkcast.co.uk/ Whilst on the subject, I prefer the Fairport version as I think the P&PJ version drags a bit.  

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #435 on: March 14, 2007, 05:26:50 AM »

Spring Song is gradually becoming my favourite track on this album (closely followed by Untouchable).  It works on four levels for me.  Level one - it's a walk on a spring day.  Level two - it's about Fairport.  Level three - it's about my line of work (those in education will understand - excellence and enjoyment, personalised learning).  Level four - it's about my situation.  Pity it wasn't included in the winter tour set but I'm hoping it will feature in the acoustic tour.  Love Ric's violin part.

Dee-de-dee-dee-dee, dee-de-dee-dee-dee...
MPinelli

Loc: Rye, New York USA

« Reply #436 on: March 14, 2007, 05:50:49 PM »

Agreed. "Spring Song" is quite pleasant and catchy. As a whole I really love "SoO". The only track I thoroughly dislike however is "Love on a Farmboys Wages". It sounds like a bad Broadway show tune imo. Oh well, I can forgive the chaps for that one!

Looking forward to the US spring dates!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2007, 12:28:43 AM »

Looking forward to the US spring dates!

Hope you enjoy the gig. SoO is much better live

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #438 on: April 12, 2007, 07:21:06 PM »

I'm a latecomer to Sense Of Occasion - it just arrived recently and is only playing today for the first time. It'll take repeated listenings to grow on me, but so far it sounds to me at least on par with the last one, which IMO was a vast improvement on Wood and XXXV. I naturally have to familiarize myself with the new songs - must say, some of Chris' material on first listening sound like close cousins of his earlier songs - but I for one really loved the new Tam Lin. I didn't think I would since I'd think rerecording old stuff is a sign of weakness; on the other hand if you can see the 2 rerecordings as some kind bonus tracks (to an album which even without them is way longer than an 'old' LP was) it's alright, innit. As such, I love the new arrangement. Does it improve over the original? No, but that wasn't its goal I'm sure ... it's different. Same for Polly On The Shore, it suits this line up, nice to hear it this way (but of the 2 I favour Tam Lin).
Anyway, it's a grower, I'm getting into it. Hawkwood's Army playing now - ah, rock out a bit more like that!

Unfortunately, the less said about the cover the better. What does that mean to say to a newcomer? "We're a grey haired cocktail band"? Ho hum! ...
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #439 on: April 12, 2007, 08:09:39 PM »

I'm a latecomer to Sense Of Occasion - it just arrived recently and is only playing today for the first time. It'll take repeated listenings to grow on me, but so far it sounds to me at least on par with the last one, which IMO was a vast improvement on Wood and XXXV. I naturally have to familiarize myself with the new songs - must say, some of Chris' material on first listening sound like close cousins of his earlier songs - but I for one really loved the new Tam Lin. I didn't think I would since I'd think rerecording old stuff is a sign of weakness; on the other hand if you can see the 2 rerecordings as some kind bonus tracks (to an album which even without them is way longer than an 'old' LP was) it's alright, innit. As such, I love the new arrangement. Does it improve over the original? No, but that wasn't its goal I'm sure ... it's different. Same for Polly On The Shore, it suits this line up, nice to hear it this way (but of the 2 I favour Tam Lin).
Anyway, it's a grower, I'm getting into it. Hawkwood's Army playing now - ah, rock out a bit more like that!

Unfortunately, the less said about the cover the better. What does that mean to say to a newcomer? "We're a grey haired cocktail band"? Ho hum! ...

Maybe you should have designed the cover Koho!! An Updated version of your Sgt Croppers Yearly Fairport Band would have looked good as the cover SoO. Also, maybe more people would have brought it because they'd get it confused with Sgt Peppers!

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: