TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:08:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Re: Wallingford Bunkfest  (Read 42793 times)
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Just Glastonbury now

mines just the two pints, thanks

« on: August 30, 2005, 11:16:01 PM »

There is a lot going on. Depends on what you want.

The Kinecroft is the 'centre' of things. It is free to everyone. There are two main stages with dance displays and bands on throughout the day, plus the beer tent, food stalls, the trade stands and the kids area.

Main concerts are in the Cross Keys Marquee. It is not huge. Get there early for any bands you really want to see. If it is hot wear as little as possible. It gets like an oven. There is a bar in the back to save you going into the (very crowded) pub.

Other pubs have marquees as well, plus they all have sessions.

The singing train is a treat, but plan your journey to get back in time for concerts etc. The boat trip is an extra £5 but a pleasant diversion.

All the beer etc is at general Oxfordshire prices (ie quite expensive if you are not used to it). The beer tent ran out of cider at 7.00pm on the Friday last year  Sad Sad (it still rankles). The French food stall is excellent but a bit pricey.

The late night bar in the sports centre was good fun (mainly due to the company) if a little disorganised last year.

Avoid the centre of town after 11.00pm if possible. Chavs abound.

Transport to and from the campsite is in vintage buses during the day and is free.

Really, its a nice laid back, family festival.

See you there.

Sandra

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 11:42:03 PM »

Look for a small fat giggling woman and a very tall man using her as an elbow rest.

Thats us.

Sandra

polly
I came I saw I clicked

its me again

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 08:31:25 PM »

I hope to be there on Saturday,weather permitting.Ive been the last 2 years .Its a really well organised ,friendly festival  and there is just so much to do that I might even go Sunday as well.
I can recommend Breakspears Leaf Fall beer  Grin
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 12:13:12 AM »

Well that was rather good!

Superb music from Eliza Carthy & the Ratcatchers, Spiers & Boden and the Oysterband in a steaming hot marquee with good beer fine food and the occasional steam train. Good company from Fi, Sandy, Chris and Paul, fine food and a very late bar. What a great festival!

Very good to meet various boardsters - Chris once again, Cream-T and Sian I recall. I think there were others but the memory is worse for a large quantity of West Berkshire's finest. Sorry if I missed anyone.

Lots of very good undiscovered talent playing. Enjoyed great sets from Cloudstreet, Crosscurrent, Isambarde and Pressgang. Managed sadly to miss too many other things (curse that beer!) including Spire, Mawkin and 3 Daft Monkeys (sorry! I did hear good reports about all three though!)

Winners of the 'wierdiest of the weekend' by a (horses) nose were this lot, Circulus...

Apparently they dress like this all the time. They mix Moogs and Crumhorns and wear horses heads while playing Gibson SGs. Their album title "The Lick on the Tip of an Envelope Yet to be Sent" tells you all you need to know about their own particular brand of wierdness.

Mind you, they only just out-wierded Diego Brown & The Good Fairy who assembled a kazoo orchestra out of most of Eliza Carthy's audience then left everyone in stitches with 'I want to be a Bee'.

Night night.

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Fi
Savoy

Loc: Somewhere near Oxford

My child is addicted to Zingzillas...

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 10:07:56 AM »

'twas a very lovely festival indeed, but my god!, The hammam like quality of the Cross Keys Marquee, they need a cold plunge pool for on the way out! This intense heat I blame for the amount of Brakspears etc I consumed on Saturday, and the hysterical laughter which ensued from a couple of us during Diego and the Good Fairy's  'I want to be a Bee'. Tents get hot in the sun, tents filled with bopping (even sitting down bopping), giggling, enthusiatic folkies get even hotter...look out for the Kazoo Orchestra of Great Britain (you know, they think Sandra and me are joking........................................... Grin)

Food being equally important as beer, I have to say that, sadly, there was no pie! but "La Grande Bouffe" do smashing things with potatoes which can cure any hangover  Cheesy.

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2005, 10:20:45 AM »

As we awoke and surveyed the near empty campsite this morning (about 20 camper vans and a handful of tents only were left) we comtemplated on what a good festival it had been.

The weather had been more than kind, the choice of things to do went way beyond what one mortal could have done in a single weekend, the acts we did see were excellent and the organisation was second to none.

I won't review the acts we saw again - Nick and Fi have already more than adequately done that (except they omitted to give an honorable mention to the Oyster Band) , but I will comment on the fact that a lot of this festival is free. The organisers somehow perform magic and run a hardcore (folk) music festival, with some of the top acts in the country, alongside a free festival which features bands, dance displays, workshops and a beer festival. The result is a wonderful mix of festival goers and locals that really works.

Highly recommended.

Sandra

polly
I came I saw I clicked

its me again

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2005, 01:43:02 PM »

Winners of the 'wierdiest of the weekend' by a (horses) nose were this lot, Circulus...

Nick
Have to agree with you there Nick.I thought Id had one to many when I saw the horse playing a guitar(and I was only on orange juice!!!)
I was only there for Saturday .The weather was brilliant again this year,how do they do it?The only boardster I managed to recognise was Chris(the cameras a bit of a give away).
Looking forward to next year already.It just gets better and better.Thank you to all the volunteers involved in making it a great weekend.
Polly
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2005, 07:09:38 PM »

And a great time was had by all.

The acts, beer and weather were amazing this year (except the journey home, where I had continuous sheet lightning and floods).

The Oysterband really rocked on Friday night, and the stand in bassist performed excelently (Chopper being on modern father duty with his partner in labour). They were ably supported by three daft monkeys and mawkin. I had never seen Spiers and Bowden, but had heard a lot about them. They certainly exceeded expectations.

I managed to perform a few songs on the singing train. I went along to listen, and got arm twisted. David King, the compere kindly lent me his guitar.

Saturday eveining was enjoyable, with several acts that I can neither spell or pronounce, but we had good sweedish and irish music.

Sunday afternoon was equely incredible (running out of superlatives), but as the others have allready mentioned, there were some great acts. Eliza Carthy was excellent, as can be expected, but Australian unknowns Cloudstreet were fantastic. Extreemly acomplished harmony singing. They certainly know a thing or two about voice control.

The only problem with Bunkfest is the sheer number of things going on. There were several things I would have liked to do, but they clashed with other things. It is almost worth not buying a ticket and just seeing the free entertainment, which includes loads of morris sides. I particularly liked the black morris side, sveral of whom wore heavy rock group t-shirts, and who were acompanied by a semi acoustic mandolin fed through a guitar processor.

Paul

T
Proper Job!

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2005, 07:48:36 PM »

Weren't that fun!?

My mate Jarrad and I had a jolly good time at Bunkford! I'm to knackered to write a proper review (I stayed around for 422, the last band on, driving back home via stop-over in Bristol to be at w*rk in Plymouth this morning) but will quickly qualify the bands I've seen. Read at your peril and feel free to disagree.

Highlights:
Cloudstreet - beautiful harmonies, belly-achingly funny, still on tour, miss them at your peril!
Gunnfjauns Kapell - great Swedish tunes and songs, I now have a new favourite tune (Trumbromsen).
Pressgang - you had to be there, so much energy and joy on stage, even the greatest non-dancer jigged.
422 - young, fresh, energetic and incredibly talented! If you can keep your feet still to those guys, you've got your soles superglued to the floor. Worth staying late for!

Lowlights:
Oysterband - lackluster.
Andwella Consort - a classical soprano in a mediaeval ensemble doesn't work, sorry. Also: if you're on stage, for gods' sake at least pretend you're enjoying yourself even if you'd rather be sucking lemons.
The Oxon beer prices - on average, a fiver didn't buy you a couple of pints.

So-So Lights (take 'em or leav'em):
Eliza Carthy - nice, not to be flawed, surprisingly sexy, but a bit of an anticlimax compared to Cloudstreet, I'm afraid.
Diego Brown & The Good Fairy - outweirded me, I'd have needed stranger drugs than beer to appreciate this fully. Some bits were funny, though.
Craobh Rua - great stand-up comedy between tunes. Good standard Irish Trad, but nothing (for me) new and exciting.

Will I be back? You betcha. Next time I know where to look for the good sessions. And I'll take the Monday off work, sobering up on a Sunday night ain't too much fun!
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2005, 07:54:24 PM »

Sorry I missed you Cream-T.

Here are some boardsters enjoing Diego Brown and the Good Fairy.

Paul

[attachment deleted by admin]

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2005, 09:24:19 PM »

You may be right there.

That was in response to this.

Paul

T
Proper Job!

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2005, 09:29:12 PM »

Isn't she the most scary woman since your headmistress in Infant School?
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2005, 09:32:38 PM »

THe girls look as if they've just done the 'nose trick' with their beer / cider!

It were the Bee Song that did it.

We had not got our hands on the kazoos at that point.

(We spent last night practising for the Kazoo Orchestra of Great Britain, much to Nick's annoyance. Love Will Tear Us Apart in the key of H is coming along brilliantly - watch out Cropredy 2006).

Who, me, Fi or the Good Fairy Grin (probably all 3 of us)

On another tack, I forgot to mention that Boatgirl was at Wallingford as well. Ask her about the tent pegs Grin

Sandra

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2005, 09:52:41 PM »

Nope... you should have seen the MM&M Morris Dance Lady seen at the Head of the River during the Oxford Folk Festival - now SHE was scary  Shocked .... ask Anji, she'll tell you

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
oxfordchris
Brian's Driver
n3wb

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2005, 09:59:52 PM »

"Winners of the 'weirdest of the weekend' by a (horses) nose were this lot, Circulus"

I liked them so much I have just ordered their new CD
Chris
 Smiley

« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 11:30:11 PM by sandy » Logged

There are no vibrations but wait
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2005, 11:41:30 PM »

A couple of photos

Fi, Nick and Chris on the festival bus and Paul

Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2005, 11:46:35 PM »

A couple more

The Bee Song and one I like of Eliza

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2005, 11:52:27 PM »

Excellent photos Sandra .... although one major bump in the road and Nick looks  like he could have created a sunroof!  Wink Grin

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Sandra
Landlady at Arms
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2005, 11:54:03 PM »

And it was a vintage bus. The driver looked quite worried when we got on Shocked

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2005, 09:37:29 AM »

One interesting (not) fact that we discovered is the fact that I am the same height as Nick when sitting down. He does seem to have more than the average leg allocation though. (Length not number  Grin )

Thanks Sandy, you don't have one that doesn't appear to have a beer gut on it do you? Grin

Paul

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: