TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 11:31:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Something controversial...  (Read 53081 times)
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #100 on: May 19, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »

Hey Jack,

Did we see you at an Eighteenth Day of May concert at Oxford Zodiac recently?

Naaah... none too bloody well... getting better now. The EDOM's album is an absolute delight. I'll catch up with Ben and the chaps soon j'espere.

So we beat on. boats against the current...
steeley

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2006, 07:40:11 AM »

maybe one solution to the pain in ass ers would be no satarday tickets,only weekend ones??
Boatgirl
I split my pink wellies

Loc: Cropredy

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2006, 02:03:48 PM »

maybe one solution to the pain in ass ers would be no satarday tickets,only weekend ones??

That would rule out a lot of non pain-in-the-ass type people, and I can't see how it would be financially viable. In any case, the general concensus is that most of the trouble is caused by people who don't have any type of ticket and are getting onto campsites through lack of security. The trouble is always oustide the main field, never in it.

"What you can do or think you can do, begin it. For boldness has magic, power, and genius in it." Goethe
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2006, 03:37:34 PM »

It seems clear that any trouble - or thieving - or any other anti social actions will come from a very small number of people, some of whom will have come for that purpose. It will be well nigh impossible to screen them out before or when they arrive in the village.

I think the issue is how to identify any possible trouble makers / tea leaves and direct stewards / police to the appropriate location. The practical difficulty is that they can't be everywhere at once.

Given that the vast majority of us are law abiding etc , would it be possible to provide - along with wristbands, or indeed ON the wristbands -  a "hotline" telephone number on site where a report could be made, giving exact location & circumstances. Stewards / police could go immediately to the scene. I know that there are contact numbers - it would help to have them readily accessible.It seems to work in city centres when known troublemakers or shoplifters appear.

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2006, 05:03:57 PM »

Ah now, if we can identify from whence he comes, can we do owt to make sure he stays there, and doesn't come within a witches gowl of Cropredy. Nothing outrageous - nailing one foot to the floor would make me happy. Or perhaps hiding his flute - where he can't reach around for it.....................................

they nailed one of ian anderson's feet to the floor but it never stopped him playing the flute!!!!

it'll be fine.......
colin h

Loc: 'aartfordsher

life's a long song

« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2006, 07:25:01 PM »

I M H O,

Everyone at the Festival will have an arm band on.   

If we change the way the tickets are exchanged for armbands - eg do this offsite at a stall in say Williamscott, then no one can be in the Festival area without having an armband.

With more active security people, those WITHOUT armbands should be easy to spot.

Assuming that only those without arm bandsi are up to no good of course !!!

You can tell a builder from an archaeologist by the size of his trowel. Mine is a small one!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2006, 08:21:08 PM »

Trouble is Colin, it's public land with footpaths and other rights of way across it. They can close the arena area to non-payers but they can't close the campsites off.

And as you note, who's to say that troublemakers won't have tickets?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2006, 09:34:02 PM »

Given that the vast majority of us are law abiding etc , would it be possible to provide - along with wristbands, or indeed ON the wristbands -  a "hotline" telephone number on site where a report could be made, giving exact location & circumstances. Stewards / police could go immediately to the scene. I know that there are contact numbers - it would help to have them readily accessible.It seems to work in city centres when known troublemakers or shoplifters appear.

A major problem here would be the same problem that those on the end of dialling '999' face....it'd be used as a public enquiry line.

Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2006, 01:09:29 PM »

I know I've already added my ha'p'orth (remember them old half pennies - now you really felt you had money with a few of those in your sweaty palm!) but I feel I must add some more as the thread seems to have moved from "should we move the festival" to more of a security issue. I see the solution as:
1).  Don't take anything really valuable.
2).  If you have to bring stuff (credit cards/mobile/iPod etc) carry it with you at all times. Don't ever leave anything unattended outside the main field.You might think "whoever would nick an old sleeping bag ...." some people nick anything.
3).  When you stake out your "viewing plot" speak nicely to the people sat around you - they'll be more than happy to keep an eye on your chairs/coldbox/wet weather gear as you of course will reciprocate - but carry your valuables with you when you go for a pee/drink/chow. As far as I'm aware there's never been any muggings! if you can see your valuables they're a lot less likely to be pinched.
4).  Take a decent padlock for your tent and don't leave anything outside it, even (especially) when you're in it asleep. Most thefts are caused by opportunists - make it difficult for them.
5).  Keep your bike panniers, caravan, car etc locked. Chain bicycles together.
6).  Remember that the overwhelmingly vast majority of your Cropredy Companions are lovely, honest people but it's worth taking these few measures to thwart the few bad pennies. Make it difficult for them and they'll soon move on to where it's easier.
Remember - even in the Good Old Days when we all left our front doors unlocked, there was still robbery & theft - the thing is to make it as hard as possible for them.
Oh, and if you catch anyone at it, I like the previously-mentioned idea about re-enacting the battle of Cropredy! Smiley Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2006, 02:01:40 PM »

Sensible advice, although personally I wouldn't bother with padlocking a tent. Experience elsewhere suggests that there are, in fact, organised gangs who are perfectly capable of opening a tent with a Stanley knife with the occupants peacefully asleep inside. I've also seen the smaller 2-3 person tents with crossover poles being lifted as one and carried to a quiet part of a campsite out of surveillance range of the watchtowers.

The message is don't leave unattended anything you wouldn't be prepared to lose.

Just as important though is to remember that the vast majority of people are there for the same purpose as you - to enjoy the music and the atmosphere. Be sensible but not obsessive.

Steve
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #110 on: May 26, 2006, 10:12:14 AM »

Totally agree SteveN. The padlock is really to stop opportunists, but as you say the majority of concert goers are law-abiding music lovers who are there to have a great time and enjoy themselves. And so we will!  Smiley Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #111 on: May 26, 2006, 10:35:50 PM »

I STILL  prefer the idea of steaming into the slags and re-enacting the battle of Cropredy Bridge...  Maybe public hangings for thieving toerags and associated nee'er do wells and perpetrators over by the Sausage stalls?  Grin Or public flogging (and I don't mean a stall selling off old Swarb records)?

So we beat on. boats against the current...
steeley

« Reply #112 on: May 28, 2006, 11:27:56 PM »

Ah now, if we can identify from whence he comes, can we do owt to make sure he stays there, and doesn't come within a witches gowl of Cropredy. Nothing outrageous - nailing one foot to the floor would make me happy. Or perhaps hiding his flute - where he can't reach around for it.....................................

they nailed one of ian anderson's feet to the floor but it never stopped him playing the flute!!!!
yeh i remember that is that why he played one one leg?? Shocked but your to young to remember that surely?(dont call me sherly)
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #113 on: May 28, 2006, 11:32:08 PM »

May I say /advise you to listen to the "From Croperdy to Portmerrion " cd /record  from  track 6 to finish and tell me that that is NOT utterly ,and I mean  UTTERLY  brilliant stuff Fez.
Just leave me on the floor I`m listening to it again  Fez

You are what you eat !!!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: