TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 20, 2024, 12:30:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youngish Kids at Cropredy - Help!  (Read 20070 times)
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« on: March 18, 2006, 01:53:48 PM »

I am thinking about taking my 2 lads, who are 7 years old, to Cropredy for a day or two this year, but I must admit to feeling slightly uneasy about it.   They have been to Towersey festival but they have specific activities for kids which I dont have to go to, and the whole festie is much smaller.

Can anyone who has ever taken a 7 year old to Cropredy tell me how you coped and anything you did specifically to make sure they were safe, fed, not bored etc.?

Having 2 of the same age is a bit of a worry as neither one is more capable than the other at looking after themselves and they both have an opinion and its usually not what the other thinks.   I want to have a good time and if I have to chase round after them all the time, and be in the tent by 9.30pm because they want to sleep, I'm not going to have a good time!

Am I mad to even think of taking them?
Advice please!

Issy  Tiara

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 02:01:08 PM »

Probably not the best person to answer as I've never been in that situation, but there's always been loads of kids of that age and often younger at Cropredy & they always seem happy enough. There's all that organised stuff at the top of the field - teaching them juggling, painting their faces and all sorts. So if they're the sort of lads to join in with that I reckon you'll have no bother at all. And at night I think a lot of parents tend to take them back to the tent, get them off to sleep and then just return to the festival field to catch the end of the music. I'd say "go for it", they'll probably love it...although you'll have a year of nagging to take them next year!  Smiley

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 02:44:09 PM »

i started similar thread a few week back when my 11 year old said he's like to come to Croppers.  The problem I have is that Croppers for me is a complete change of scene.  I go with a few friends all female and we insist that not one us brings so much as a tea bag, as we buy all are food, drinks etc because it is chill time.  Having my son along would change that I would be come responsible for him and that laid back feeling would alter.  I am being selfish?

Not been for a while
abby (tank girl)
never felt happy about quinoa
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Finally settled in my own pad

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 02:45:29 PM »

issy dont worry, thats the first thing.
we have ALWAYS taken the girls to festies and bike rallies, even had the moses basket in the tent.
last year was, however the first year they were allowed to go exploring without us, being then aged 7 and 9.
there is stuff to do for the kids in the circus area, but if your boys have never been to a festie before i suspect they'll just be a bit gobsmacked and want to stay close to you.
i have to admit that going to a festie WITHOUT our kids just leads to a weekend of drunken debauchery and memory loss; we actually have a lot more fun and a lot more laughs when thay're with us!
as for safety, our two are now old enough to have mobile phones and they know the drilll if they were to get lost (ie go to a lady with kids and ask for help from her), but when they weree younger i used to write both our mobile numbers on them, on their arm or somewhere so we could be contacted any time.
they were always told never to try and look for us.
and at night we have one of those tent thingies and put it up near the back, and take a blanket or a coat or something then when they get snoozy they climb in there and we dont have to miss the headliners. the tent also prevents them being stood on in the dark.
i'd say bring em, but be prepared for it to cost a lot more money!
if they do come and you want some  support from hardened child hippies, IM me and i'm sure the girls will oblige!

i'm sure you'll all have a great time Cheesy

it'll be fine.......
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 02:48:47 PM »

We have always taken our kids - from 3 months to 16 years now. One of the great things is that it is sucha safe environment. I have never felt worried about them wandering off or getting lost. Just make sure they know where to go if they are lost (The police caravan is ideal). They'll make friends and have a great time. The kids entertainment at the back of the field might go down well during the afternoons as well.

The only down side is they'll want to go back year after year, and sooner or later you'll have to start paying for them.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 07:22:35 PM »

We first went in 1988 and took the middle boy when he was 10. Having found that he loved it we took the youngest at 7 as well the following year (the eldest has never wanted to go!).
We are lucky in that ours always loved the music and didn't take much looking after. They still go now with their partners. We just established a set pitch and made sure someone was always there. Give them directions in relation to the many flags or take your own. I always wore a yellow Fairport hat which could be seen miles away!, and had horrible bright orange chairs. The only problem might be if they want to go to bed early and you don't. We always felt very safe and never had any problems. 

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
mikemush

Loc: Harlow,Essex :-(

"In his forties,and still unusual" H.Rawlinson

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2006, 02:22:11 PM »

My girls (now 21 and 19) have been going since they were babies and wouldn't miss it now. And I don't think they've ever been bored.
     Can only really echo some of that above.........have a recognisable flag and relate it to others around and stalls at the same level on the field. Go with them the first couple of times they leave for investigation, and on the way back they'll probably find your spot before you do.
     A small beach-tent or large umbrella (sensitively placed!), sleeping bags and exposure bags (in case of rain) and a couple of glow-sticks and silly toys, and they can snuggle in when they feel like it and mess about and doze off when they're ready and you don't have to miss any of the later bands.
    As for boredom, even if not particularly keen on the music there's plenty of stalls to spend ages wandering around and loads of weird old people to laugh at, quite apart from the novelty (for ours) of being able to go off on their own without a parental shadow. Not to mention the organised activities at the top of the field. (Though I'm rather glad they didn't keep bringing the giant inflatable dice.........I'm sure the kids thought it was great, but when they started pushing it downhill through the crowd it all got a bit random.   Wish I'd got a picture of the guy on him dack-chair suddenly engulfed from behind by huge dice and dozens of kids!  Grin )
    We always found that, safety-wise, Cropredy was almost a step back to not having to fret every second they were out of our sight. There is an unobtrusive police prescence but their base is easily found, but our kids never got really lost. And I don't think many do or, given the number there, there would be endless announcements of lost children awaiting collection.
    There are few enough places like it, Issy, so make the most of it and bring him. And if he doesn't like it after all that, you'll not have to worry about it again next year!  Wink

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2006, 10:33:38 AM »

Our two have been going with us since they were in the womb. The older one is 18 now and doesn't go - but my guess is she'll come back to it at some point. Younger is 13 and pleads with us to take her.

We took some friends last year and they brought their three kids aged 5, 7 and 10. We all had a great time and they've already pencilled in this year.

What really helps is going with another family with kids. That way you can share responsibility and the kids entertain each other. But, really - don't think twice, it's all right.
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2006, 11:35:17 AM »

My kids started their Cropredy careers at the ages of 12 and 16, so I have never had to worry about supervising younger kids at the festival.  My only major worry would be if young 'uns went off wandering and ended up in the canal or river.
(Big Dave, merchant of doom and gloom to the stars!!!!)

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2006, 12:06:32 PM »

My kids started their Cropredy careers at the ages of 12 and 16, so I have never had to worry about supervising younger kids at the festival.  My only major worry would be if young 'uns went off wandering and ended up in the canal or river.
(Big Dave, merchant of doom and gloom to the stars!!!!)

Good point Dave, before yu know what's happened they could trip over a blade of grass and end up breaking their leg  Wink Wink

Or was that someone else Grin

Jackdaw
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2006, 04:36:40 PM »

Issy, I can't speak for 7-year-olds, but last year a friend of ours took his two who were 11 and 13.  They had a great time and have been asking when they can go again ever since.  They didn't stick together very much but the 11 year-old lad found some friends at the back of the field and the 13 year-old girl spent more time at the front than I did.  We made sure they knew where our "pitch" was, gave them some money and didn't worry about them until it was time to go back to the tents.  We tended to bump into them around the place on a fairly regular basis anyway.

I think Cropredy is one of the last great places where you can let younger kids off the leash a bit and not have to worry too much.  Obviously you know your own kids best, but I think Croppers is a great place for letting them grow a little.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
fat Billy(Bill)
Babycham Bill
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: deepest suffolk

may decay in direct sunlight

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2006, 04:57:04 PM »

make sure they stay away from the kitchens of burger vans

I'm sure there was an earhole in one that I ate last year
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2006, 05:33:41 PM »

make sure they stay away from the kitchens of burger vans

I'm sure there was an earhole in one that I ate last year

on a seruois note though, food is the most difficult part for us, having one daughter who believes that chickens really DO have nuggets and its safe to eat them....

we always take a little stove and plenty of 'instant' food - breakfast bars, fruit, cheese and ham and bread and stuff, maybe an instant bbq and get some stuff from the supermarket before we get there. and plenty of liquids.  that way it helps keep the cost down a bit and we can keep an eye on what the fussy one is eating!
and make sure you pitch tent by a convenient hedge so YOU dont have to take them on the trek to the loo in the dark when they wake in the night!

it'll be fine.......
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2006, 05:39:41 PM »

And if you want to get a pitch on the Family site, get there VERY early on Thursday.
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2006, 07:00:46 PM »

Issy, my daughter is 7 years old now and she absoluteley loves Cropredy and wouldn't miss it for the world! She spends all year asking when it will be!! She spends most of her day up at the kids activities and we don't see her until she's had enough!She always makes new friends- Cropredy is the highlight of her year- and it will be for your sons too! Grin Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
Tasha
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2006, 07:03:56 PM »

we always take a little stove and plenty of 'instant' food - breakfast bars, fruit, c****e and ham and bread and stuff, maybe an instant bbq

Just to mention naked flame Barbies are not allowed at Cropredy only gas powered ones Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
abby (tank girl)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2006, 10:46:21 PM »

we always take a little stove and plenty of 'instant' food - breakfast bars, fruit, c****e and ham and bread and stuff, maybe an instant bbq

Just to mention naked flame Barbies are not allowed at Cropredy only gas powered ones Grin

i've always  found barbies quite flammable but bratz are far more entertaining.
cos they have no feet.

just large shoes.

it'll be fine.......
Tasha
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2006, 12:40:53 PM »

i've always  found barbies quite flammable but bratz are far more entertaining.
cos they have no feet.

just large shoes.

LOL There's a load of Barbies round at my house if you want to try again! Grin Grin Grin

Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2006, 05:38:01 PM »

Hi Issy, take them, after seeing them at Towersey last year I'm sure they'll be fine at Croppers!  Like you I worried like mad, wanting despiratly to recommence going to festivals, but worried that I wouldn't be able to cope on my own, so I waited untill jack was 7. Looking back now, I think I wasted many years because I have had no problems there as you have seen! They both love the freedom of being able to wander on their own and I give each of them some money so they can choose their own food. They know they must not leave the site, so in that way it seems a little safer than Towersey, though like you I had no problems there either. Each of them has their own mobile so if need be they can call me, I had several calls from Jack the year before last saying he'd been stung by a wasp again and was at the first aid tent! Last year was brilliant though, 'cos we met up with so many of you and made that big base camp so that when Jack got tired he knew where to go and lie down safetly. Most of the time they knew where I was..... At the bar!!!
Ethans Granny (Carolyn)
going off to join the circus

Loc: Banbury

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2006, 06:21:22 PM »

Thanks for starting this off, Issy.  Ethan's Mum and I have been worrying about what to do with Ethan.  He wants to go but gets very ratty when he's tired, so the idea of the beach tent (can't remember who that was) is perfect.

We were going to take him anyway and leave early  Cry  but now we won't have to!  We'll just have to remember to take a torch for my benefit - I lose my sense of direction completely in the dark!

Carolyn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: