TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:00:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: REVIEW: Jethro Tull, Blackpool Opera House  (Read 39338 times)
Glen Sheil
n3wb

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2006, 04:00:11 PM »

Before you try to get a ticket for a more or less sold out tour, read some other reviews on the Tull´s official site www.j-tull.com
In the forum you can see that not everybody is happy with the current tour, especially with violinist Lucia.
[/quote]

I can see how Lucia the violinist might not be popular with those Tull fans who fall very definitely on the heavier side.  Her guest appearance with the band has prompted a new injection of interest in the band's classical influences and, I must admit, even for a classical musician (which I basically am), hearing JUST the violin part of the Sibelius Violin Concerto without accompaniment and over-played (as Lucia blatantly does) is a bit testing.  The work's success really depends on the interplay between soloist and orchestra..... listen to someone like Isaac Stern playing it...  That Lucia does seem a bit full of herself and I don't think she would last 5 minutes in a concert hall with a full orchestra and the critics of Gramophone magazine or such like!
[/quote]

Glad you enjoyed the show. I saw the "Lucia" version of Tull in the States back in November and found it quite pleasing. I'm amused by negative assessments of her performance as somehow 'substandard' from a classical musician's perspective -- not at all dissimilar to early critical assessments of Ian's flute playing, and yet, despite all his snortling and breathy overbearing, he seems to have done rather nicely for himself. Lucia's 'over the top' performances are, in my estimation, entirely consistent with the contrarian Tull tradition. My smile widens with every purist's complaint. I know Ian is fond of thrusting his flute between Martin's legs during guitar solos... too bad he didn't sieze such moments with Lucia, or she with him! In any event, I couldn't help but feel she had breathed new energy into the band, and I for one hope she holds a future there. Thanks for your enthusiastic review.
Lost John

Loc: The Crouch Delta

Home, home again

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2006, 01:18:12 PM »

quote author=martin driver link=topic=15802.msg172749#msg172749 date=1142066863]
Hope you had a good time at the Tull gig last night John!

[/quote]re

Having been out of action with the Marsh Fever (flu actually) caught from my companion at Shepherd's Bush, I just thought I'd drop in with a comment or two about the Friday night gig.

'Twas muddy blarvellous gig. Anderson and Barre were well up for it and the rest of the band do a great job

The violinist lady added quite considerably to the whole - not so sure about "Bohemian Rhapsody" but "Kashmir" rocked!

The re-visiting of "Aqualung" was a great move and the title track as set ender was truly phenomenal.

This was a band not just visiting former glories but, I thought, inventing them anew (rather like another popular beat combo of our acquaintance have the happy knack of doing).

Thoroughly enjoyable evening which I hope to repeat in the future

"Welcome to the world famous Station Arms, what would you like, punter?"
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2006, 05:32:07 PM »

Although a Tull fan since 1968 - well. I was a ridiculously early starter - I'd only ever seen them in Ireland prior to '04 at Cropredy. In belfast & Dublin they have been nothing less than stunning - I think Cropredy was a blip Huh Certainly I spoke to some people who saw them there for the first time & were not impressed !!! Glad to hear they are back on form !!!!!!!!

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: