TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:31:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Availability of Early Fairport Film or tapes  (Read 13364 times)
suzip
n3wb

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

« on: February 21, 2006, 08:27:54 AM »

Dear All
           I am the other half of Suzip but 8 years her senior and have distinctive memories of early Fairport Convention. 
I can remmember when I saw the first line up including Jude as vocalist.  I remember John Peel playing 'If I had a ribbon bow' in 1967 and I would like to know the origin of the song.  I was 17 in 1967 and proceeded to try to see the band whenever they played in my locality-The West Midlands. 
One of my favourite clubs was 'Mothers' in Birmingham and I was present on the unfortunate night of the road accident on the M1 when Marty Lamble was killed. 
I am searching for any early Fairport tapes although I do have one of the original line up-Jude,Richard,Ian,Marty,Simon and Ashley in black and white.  I am looking for performances between 1968-1969 after Sandy joined, basically from 'What we did on our Holidays' through to 'Liege and Leif' does anyone know if they were ever filmed during that period, I saw them many times and cannot recall ever seeing a camera.  The only other tape I have is 1970 at Maidstone in Kent the same year as the Bath Festival.  Thanks for your time

Suzip
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 09:32:28 AM »

Well now. Heavens to Murgatroyd. Which bit of black and white ffilm is that then, Suzip's other half?

Ribbon Bow was written by Hughie Prince and Lou Singer

Joe Boyd played us the version by Maxine Sullivan

Welcome to here by the way..........

Jude Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 09:53:52 AM »

Here's a bit of trivia for you, Hughie Prince also wrote the lyrics to  "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy Of Company 'B'"!

I'll get me coat...

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 11:25:42 AM »

Sorry to disappoint....but I don't think there is anything.

The Judy line-up will probably be that French TV show - with a very cool...even sexy ( Shocked Smiley) looking Judy Dyble.

Other than that it's probably all been wiped - TOTP appearances etc. There is a nice 45 mins or so of the 1974 Sandy line-up - released on the Fairport 'Home Movie' years ago (1984/85?). There's a bit more from 1970 onwards - the Maidstone, some nice stuff from 'Angel Delight', stuff from 1972/73 recently rebroadcast and released on 'Whistle Test' DVD...

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 06:10:28 PM »

Now THAT, Andy, is a gem of trivia !!!!  Keep 'em comin' !

cheers
Joss
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 06:29:04 PM »

Well, how about this: in 1947 Lou Singer was commissioned, with lyricist Hy Zaret by New York Radio station WNEW to write a series of innovative public radio jingles. The series, "Little Songs On Big Subjects" was intended to promote the virtues of tolerance, fair play and inter-racial understanding. The series was distributed throughout the USA.

They also produced a six-lp set of science-related folk songs. Shocked MP3 version sof all of these can be heard here One track really does sound like They Might Be Giants, as the owner of that page says - Why Does The Sun SHine? and indeed they covered it in 1994.

Also revealed there is that Zaret's main claim to fame is writing the lyrics to the classic "Unchained Melody" for the 1955 movie "Unchained" as doen by the Righteous Brothers in the 1960's and featured in "Ghost".

Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 06:35:03 PM »

Andy Bad back or no bad back you've got to get out more.

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 01:27:12 AM »

I would love to legally purchase all the old odd Fairport videos on a dvd. I have bought some boots on ebay. I'm sure I am not the only one who wants all the odd bits on one dvd. In fact, I would like to think of it a project that would benefit mankind. Smiley  The only thing I can remember is the tape it all comes round, which had some of the old footage mixed with interviews. I would love just the music. The french tv Judy performance, the maidstone show, all of the old shows should be on a dvd!!!!!!   

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
Pat Helms
Long live Freewheelin' Franklin!!

Loc: E. TENNESSEE

Often wrong.....never in doubt

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2006, 04:56:05 AM »

I would love to legally purchase all the old odd Fairport videos on a dvd. I have bought some boots on ebay. I'm sure I am not the only one who wants all the odd bits on one dvd. In fact, I would like to think of it a project that would benefit mankind. Smiley  The only thing I can remember is the tape it all comes round, which had some of the old footage mixed with interviews. I would love just the music. The french tv Judy performance, the maidstone show, all of the old shows should be on a dvd!!!!!!   

Perhaps a DVD release of "It All Comes Round Again" would be be a nice opportunity to add the additional footage stated above as bonus material!  My video version is now about 18 years old and needs to be replaced, so I'd likely get it on DVD "as is".  Still, bonus footage of the rest of the French TV and Maidstone would be very welcome indeed.

Then there's the reality that this documentary is quickly becoming only the halfway mark in the bands history! Shocked  Maybe there needs to be an "It All Comes Round Again and Again" to carry the bonus stuff! Cheesy
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2006, 12:19:42 PM »

I assume that the Maidstone footage is still with the film distributors, Weintrub, where Ian Rennie found it when he and I set up Musikfolk in 1990. We leased it for 3 years (their terms, not ours) and duplicated VHS copies from their master tape. After the lease period all rights reverted to the distributors so I would assume that anyone who wanted to manufacture DVDs could follow the same process, provided they could cut a deal.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
Pat Helms

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2006, 05:45:09 PM »

I assume that the Maidstone footage is still with the film distributors, Weintrub, where Ian Rennie found it when he and I set up Musikfolk in 1990. We leased it for 3 years (their terms, not ours) and duplicated VHS copies from their master tape.

And I was sure glad to see you do so!  Upon seeing the Now Be Thankful segment included on IACRA, my first thought was - "that's great!  Now, who has the rest of the show?!!"  So, a couple of years later, it was a pure delight to hear that it had become available in its entirety.  It took a little while to find a copy that had been converted to NTSC though.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2006, 11:03:05 PM »

Do what I do - I've got all the videos but got fed up with the faff and transferred them all for my own use with a DVD/video combi

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 11:49:29 AM »

isnt that illegal?
frankly im  Shocked

The Dude abides
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 06:19:09 PM »

Probably not....

You're certainly allowed (I think) to convert audio from one medium to another for personal listening, so it may follow that one can do the same for video.

Mind you, I do emphashise 'personal' use.

Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 08:43:42 PM »

Nick, you're a bad, bad boy. Consider your wrist slapped with all the force that Chris Bates can muster.

Now that's worrying.

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 09:29:44 PM »

Oops! I assure you they are only for home/personal use  I have no intention of selling the originals.
They are very dear to me.
Talking of selling stuff has anybody seen the prices  late 60's albums are going for these days on Ebay
Court of the Crimson King & SF Sorrow £280 each!!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Pat Helms

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2006, 06:15:06 PM »

You can buy a lot of blank CDs and DVDs with that kind of dough! Grin
Paolo

Loc: Parma, ITALY

Less than all can not satisfy man

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 10:45:15 AM »

Hi all,
there is another video from a german tv show from 1976 (is it "early"?) featuring Swarb, Peggy, Bruce Rowland, Dan Ar Bras, and those two guys, the pianist and the young fiddler, sorry I forgot the names and I'am now far from personal archives. Not bad at all.

Best

Paolo
PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 01:21:26 PM »

Hi all,
there is another video from a german tv show from 1976 (is it "early"?) featuring Swarb, Peggy, Bruce Rowland, Dan Ar Bras, and those two guys, the pianist and the young fiddler, sorry I forgot the names and I'am now far from personal archives. Not bad at all.

Best

Paolo

Roger Burridge and Bob Brady, I think. Saw that line up at Cheltenham Town Hall.

Are they still around?
Thor-Rune

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 08:47:42 PM »

The "Gottle o'geer" live lin-up were also filmed in Norway in the summer of 1976. From a rainy, windy festival in Ålesund on the west coast of Norway. From this footage I remember seeing The Hen's March medley and about half of Sloth on national TV here.

Thor-Rune
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: