TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:41:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Winter Tour reviews and photos  (Read 119369 times)
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 09:15:14 AM »

I'm guessing that answers the "is it alright to take pictures at gigs?" question then?
Sounds great so far - if I hadn't already bought a ticket I'd be signing up now...

Further to Chris' advice about not using flash, even without flash, don't take more than 6 or 7 pictures per half if you are sitting in a seat. (I can't wait for the day when a camera firm invents a camera with a silent shutter).

Most digital cameras actually have a "fake" shutter sound.

You'll never get a silent SLR, they've got a whacking gret mirror to move.

Paul

Jono
free-flowing and painless all weekend

Loc: Wardington

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 11:37:42 AM »

Ric's looking on fine form there - good job we didn't wear him out in the Studio yesterday morning while he was recording on the Leatherat album!  Grin  Cheesy  Grin

Here's to it and to it again!
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 06:36:46 PM »

I see Peggy is back, almost as though he never left...
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 07:28:12 PM »

He doesn't look all that happy, though.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 10:06:38 PM »

i thought that as well

The Dude abides
JamesM

Loc: Worcester

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 10:40:36 PM »

Glad you said that, cos I wasn't fully convinced at Tewkers on Wednesday - I was thinking "brave face" for most of it, though he played as well as ever.
Steve
Max Headroom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Sussex

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 11:11:11 PM »

He's probably been read the riot act ...
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 11:16:39 PM »

Take care not to fire the flash into the lads faces though....it can upset your fellow audience members too.

The set list fromlast night is.....

Lily of Barbury - with PJ

Sir Patrick Spens
Wait for the Tide to Come In
Canny Capers
Banks of the Sweet Primroses
Jewel in the Crown (boy, that rocked!)
Edge of the World (new Chris L song)
Red & Gold
---------------------------------------
John Gaudie
Crazy Man Michael
TamLin
Rocky Road
I'm already There
Summer in December
Western Wind
Who Knows Where the Time Goes
Swirling Pit
Matty Groves / Rutland Reel / Sack the Juggler
---------------------------------
Meet on the Ledge

As far as I can tell, it was the same set for the Anvil.  Including false start in Red and Gold(though I could be corrected on that!)

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
JamesM

Loc: Worcester

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 11:28:01 PM »

Can we launch a competition for matching the pictures on the t-shirt to the tracks played? If so, please tell me what the minibus is for!!

James
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 01:10:15 AM »

It could be "Rocky Road" or "Who knows..." for completely different reasons.

Nigel no longer of Lysander
OldSchool man of the world
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Hereford

A Grounding in Numbers

« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 09:59:23 AM »

I've had a few days to mull things over after the Tewkesbury gig and it seeemed to me to be a game of two halves.I was interested to se how PJ Wright was  going to rework his album material for an acoustic setting and I think he achieved this admirably. Fairport joined for Lily Of Barbary and this one really rocked.

And so to Fairport........they sounded superb as always, the clarity of the instrument separation and sound never ceases to amaze me. Ric and Chris were their usual selves, plenty of fiddle melding moments, and Gerry thrashing away on the kit as only he can. But in the first half Simon and Peggy looked like they were going through the motions; Folk-rock by numbers and both looked extremely tense .

Second half and what a transformation. Perhaps Sir Alex Ferguson had delivered one of his famous hairdryer half time team talks because they reappeared in fine style. More relaxed, more humour (love the multi-tasking quip) and a quite superb Tam Lin. Peggy still had the slightly bewildered look of a deer trapped in the headlights of an oncoming car but the fire seemed to have returned in the second half and they left in the usual style.

Maybe it's just me and I'm sure if I'd just chanced upon Fairport, their musicianship would blow me away, but having seen them in concert many times their musicianship is a gimme. Perhaps I'm looking for something that isn't there and in the words of the song 'If you really mean it , it all comes round again' It's  just that I wasn't really convinced they really meant it.

Cheers Nigel
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2006, 01:43:20 AM »

Tonight at Tunbridge Wells:

WOW!  THAT  WAS  BLOODY    BRILLIANT!!!

I haven't had so much fun in ages and I can't get to sleep now as the songs/tunes keep going round and round inside my head.  You lot have got such a treat coming to you!  Oh, I wish I was going again tomorrow night, and the night after that and ...

I think the set list was the same as the one Chris posted earlier.  The first three - Sir Patrick Spens, Wait For The Tide To Come In and Canny Capers really rocked and just blew me away.  Simon played the electric for Tam Lin and at least on three other occasions.  I particularly liked Simon's guitar accompaniment on P J Wright's Lily Of Barbary.

It seemed to me that all the boys were enjoying themselves.  There was the usual banter, some exchanges between audience and band, and even a joke about Essex.  Dave Pegg mentioned the Radio 2 Folk Awards and Liege and Lief.  Someone from the audience shouted, "What about, What We Did On Our Holidays?"  Simon replied, "I don't know about you, but I went to Frinton.  It was closed!" Grin  (I rather like Frinton actually - especially in winter.)

And now for the trivial ...   Roll Eyes
Ric had some snazzy red shoes with black studs round the edge.  From where we were sitting it looked as though his toes were poking through. Grin  Chris Leslie wore a t-shirt with the CND logo on the front (I remember going on the march  Shocked)  but daughter informs me that it is generally considered to be a 'peace' symbol these days.  And Simon was sporting a pair of boot-cut stone coloured jeans - very flattering on the maturing figure!  Wink

P J Wright was great!  I haven't enjoyed a support act so much since Bob Fox.  The acoustic versions of the songs from Hedge Of Sound were quite different but worked just as well.  He achieved an instant and natural rapport with the audience with his between-songs chat.

To all of you who are lucky enough to be going to the Wintour, I hope you all enjoy as much as I did.   Grin

mikemush

Loc: Harlow,Essex :-(

"In his forties,and still unusual" H.Rawlinson

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 02:33:44 AM »

Ric had some snazzy red shoes with black studs round the edge.  From where we were sitting it looked as though his toes were poking through. Grin 

Blimey! You mean, he's got black toes??!!   Shocked Shocked

"Aha! As I anticipated,things have gone wildly beyond my control"  Professor Nebulous
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 11:55:18 AM »

Well, ( and I'm definitely not casting aspersions on Ric's personal hygiene) that's what it looked like from the back row, which is where we were sitting!   Smiley
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 12:30:51 PM »

I'm not sure about the black  studs (!!), but he's wearing red plastic or rubber (very comfoirtable, he says) sandals - which would explain the vision of his toes.

I'll ask him tonight, if I get a chance....

Dubai Danny
my MIL likes it loud

Loc: Here

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 03:49:25 PM »

Perhaps I'm looking for something that isn't there and in the words of the song 'If you really mean it , it all comes round again' It's  just that I wasn't really convinced they really meant it

I've felt that for a while now. Is the winter tour really essential to the finances of the band? Simon has spoken before of the pressures which mean there just isn't the time to rehearse the sort of radically revamped setlist which a significant constituency of fans would probably like to hear; I can't help thinking that if they gave it a rest for a year and used the time to rehearse a real knock-your-socks-off setlist, it would benefit both band and audience.
Andy
Global Moderator

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2006, 04:05:47 PM »

If they have to time and finances to take a break for a set of rehearsals, I'd think they should delay it until just before Croppers 2007 - the 40th anniversary should provide wide and varied songs for the "Convention".

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2006, 06:54:42 PM »

Fairport are looking for reviews and piccies from us for the Wintour... 

I hope that is mentioned to the staff at the Deco in Northampton as last night before the Thompson Twins gig they were coming out with the 'photography is forbidden' message

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2006, 07:06:02 PM »

I hope so too at Chesterfield!!!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2006, 08:38:17 PM »

Saw the lads in Basingblob and had a really good time.  I thought they were musically on great form and I was very pleased to hear Tam Lin and Sir Patrick Spens in the set list... and I'm already there, John Gaudie and Who know where the time goes..  didn't take much notice of what guitar Simon was playing at any point but I thought it rocked  Grin

I get a bit frustrated at seated gigs sometimes because it would be good to dance, and for me that turns the atmosphere down a bit.  I've no idea how any of the band were feeling on that occasion, and I'm no mind reader, but Ric and Chris certainly seemed their normal happy and contented selves and I thought Peggy looked very well - I like the goatee and he does have great legs  Shocked  

All 5 of them were out at the end of the show signing merch and were very personable.  Simon was enjoying himself very much telling us about another act for Cropredy who he hoped to announce soon - 'contemporary and left-field' he said!   I'm too star-struck to do the 20 questions routine, but a good starter would have beento ask if it was an individual or group I guess!  Although I'd probably still be none the wiser as I ceased being contemporary around 1990  Wink

Biggest disappointment of the evening was the T shirts - I do like the grey/blue t shirts with the same design as Rick was wearing in Chris photo (earlier in the thread) and they are available in M, L and XL.  I asked for the M and it was HUGE with incredibly long arms!  Shocked   As I didn't especially want to spend £20 on a very nice T shirt which would only be useful as nightwear for an urangutan, I passed  Sad    I do hope they do a SMALL for Cropredy this year..  anyway, I digress

Great show Issy Tiara

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: