TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 09:28:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So how did YOU get into Fairport?  (Read 138915 times)
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #260 on: March 27, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »

Sorry, I've lost track of what year we are in! I meant 2005. 2004 was indeed great and very emotional as I recall.

Topic drift...

Methinks that was the year that the problems with "oiks" started to get a little more serious.  Also wasn't that the time of the major changes to the structure of the festival?

I did not get any sleep on the thursday night due to a bunch of arse holes who had no interest in the music. they just got pissed and obnoxious

I heard so one say last year on Thursday that "Folk music is (I can't repeat the word) and I don't know why we came" Those people should be thrown of the festival site and not get their money back

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #261 on: March 27, 2007, 04:34:45 PM »

I heard so one say last year on Thursday that "Folk music is (I can't repeat the word) and I don't know why we came" Those people should be thrown of the festival site and not get their money back

I'm not entirely convinced that not liking something is reason enough for such action! Virtually all the bad behaviour I've witnessed at Cropredy (and I'm only talking about 3 or 4 'scenes' over 23 years!) has been alcohol-related.  But then if I'd been dragged along to Glyndbourne (like the pleb I am) I'd have probably resorted to the champagne bar and might have got myself a bit squiffy and created a scene, or I might have done when I still drank anyway...  Wink

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #262 on: March 27, 2007, 04:49:33 PM »

I'm not entirely convinced that not liking something is reason enough for such action! Virtually all the bad behaviour I've witnessed at Cropredy (and I'm only talking about 3 or 4 'scenes' over 23 years!) has been alcohol-related.  But then if I'd been dragged along to Glyndbourne (like the pleb I am) I'd have probably resorted to the champagne bar and might have got myself a bit squiffy and created a scene, or I might have done when I still drank anyway...  Wink

These were two fairly young teenagers and the called folk music "w**ked"
« Last Edit: March 27, 2007, 05:17:24 PM by Ollie King » Logged

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #263 on: March 27, 2007, 05:16:13 PM »

]

These were two fairly young teenagers and the called folk music w**ked

Yep - you see...Folk Music Worked....I knew it all along  Smiley

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #264 on: March 27, 2007, 05:25:44 PM »

These were two fairly young teenagers and the called folk music "w**ked"

What - wicked? that means good, doesn't it - in youthspeaK?   Smiley

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #265 on: March 27, 2007, 05:27:47 PM »

I'll add another letter "wa*ked"  Shocked

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #266 on: March 27, 2007, 05:31:57 PM »

Oh you mean WALKED then...

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #267 on: March 28, 2007, 12:32:44 PM »

That must be why I'm so slow to take offence: I don't realise when I'm being insulted!
peterwales
a lot more rugged and a lot less "twee"
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Norfolk

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« Reply #268 on: March 28, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »

I could feel the "vibe", for want of a better word, the first time I walked into the main field at Cropredy. It just felt nice and safe.

Same here, though I think that "vibe" has been less apparent more recently. 2004 especially. Or perhaps I am just getting old and my cynicism gene has kicked in?

Well, I still remember wandering across from, I think field 4, the very first night I was ever in Cropredy, after "setting up camp" in 1994, and hearing Roy Harper's (almost forgotten) voice from the 60's/70's; (anybody remember his album "Valentine" from that time); and feeling I had been transported back to some magical time of a wasted but idealogical youth. Moon coming up over the Eastern end of the Cotswolds on a hot summer's evening and all that...yes, maybe it is a good time to write a thesis about what makes up the magic of Cropredy- can I volunteer to be a research assistant?
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #269 on: March 28, 2007, 10:32:44 PM »

and hearing Roy Harper's (almost forgotten) voice from the 60's/70's;

Do you think....? He's still got a pretty strong group of devotees I'd say....

Malcolm
crazily brandishing my swat
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Powys

« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2007, 06:42:48 PM »

I had their albums in the 1970's but never saw them live. I didn't do gigs in those days; don't know why, I just did other things.

I think it must have been 1985 and 1986 that we went to the Cropredy warmup, then held at the Half Moon and first went to Cropredy 1987, then only for the Saturday. First camped in 1989 and remember the next year turning up on the Thursday (it was only a two day festival then) - no Health'n'Safety, searchlights, generators - we just set up camp in one of the fields, already opened in readiness. Quite a few others did the same and enjoyed the village and the pubs. The water bowser turned up some time later - no mains taps. I remember a couple of years later Peggy writing in the flyer "please no camping before Thursday" - I met a bloke who said he had been sleeping in a cornfield at Williamscote since the Monday!

I remember in the first couple of years having a feeling of unease that such a happy, relaxed thing couldn't last but, after a few years realised that the cosmic force of Cropredy is more powerful than any negative forces which might come along.

Have never missed since 1989 and couldn't imagine the circs in which I might.

Now I live three miles from The Angel - small world isn't it?

Smiley
Nic O
Grandad takes a trip

Loc: North Wales

Propaganda, all is phoney

« Reply #271 on: March 30, 2007, 12:09:42 PM »

A backdoor route I guess for a Brit..... heavily into Dylan as a teenager and through that to Unhalfbricking and What We Did and other Dylan covers ... but guess only really discovered the joy of Fairport in the mid 70s as a long haired student.
Personally I am still amazed how many artists I found through Dylan... aside from the obvious ones like Joni Mitchell and Phil Ochs, also Edie Brickell, Al Stewart, Mary Lee Kortes, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shawn Colvin, Steve Gibbons, Tiny Tin Lady

Through the mad mystic hammering of the wild ripping hail
The sky cracked its poems in naked wonder
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: