TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:31:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "One for Jonah" CD  (Read 12406 times)
peterryb

Far from the Western Hills of Birth

« on: December 29, 2005, 09:49:30 PM »

Not sure if this topic has been discussed before, but on one my now rarer trips to London yesterday, to drop elderly "pain in the a---e" relatives off after Christmas visit, and to see an old friend, I popped into an old haunt, the Half Moon pub in Putney, famous live music place. Having a reflective, early evening post-Christmas pint, I was fascinated by all the photos of the musicians who have appeared there over the many years, including the Stones in the 60's, a now sadly demised Rrory Gallagher, and of course Fairport and the Dylan Project. I was also then intriqued to see the above-named CD being sold as a limited special edition behind the bar. Duly bought it, and it is a live set by Fairport, Ralph Mctell and support from Earl Okin as a tribute to the late Jonah Jones with proceeds going to the "Playing Fields Association" charity. Only given a little playing time in the car. Anybody else familiar with this CD and any opinions as to it's overall quality?
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 10:11:20 PM »

I'm amazed it's still available. The Half Moon may well be the last place with stocks. I bought mine when they were sold at Cropredy and it's number 593, of only 1000 issued. I guess most of them would have gone there.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 11:23:58 PM »

I would go and check the number on my copy ... if all the cds were accessible... currently blocked by younger son's furniture as he waits to move intoo his own house...

But yes.. bought it a couple of years ago.

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 07:21:00 AM »

This was discussed on in the Ralph Mctell forum around the time of the concert and again when the CD was released, but seems to have fallen off the other end of the board.

The evening itself was very special indeed, and for me the CD of the occasion is a fitting memento of the show.

SteveK
(CD # 151/1000)
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:00:58 AM »

The CD is a bit iffy - (not musically, but because its got pictures of myself and Ulla singing our heads off inside the front cover and indeed on the disc itself), but it was a damn good night.

Sir Rafe was spellbinding, the Fairports were at the best they had been for a couple of years and the Young's ale flowed freely.

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 09:53:39 PM »

I think they are still available direct from the National PLaying Fields Association (NPFA) for a suggested donation.

Anyone still interested might enquire - their website is here

Jonathan

Loc: US

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:52:46 AM »

To add to Chris's post; once you're on the NPFA's homepage, type "CD" in the search box, and three or four results come back.  One of them is listed as "CD offer."  That page will give you an e-mail address of the person to contact to order the CD.

I took me mandolin to the party, but no one asked me to play it.
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 02:04:05 AM »

This was discussed on in the Ralph Mctell forum around the time of the concert and again when the CD was released, but seems to have fallen off the other end of the board.

It's still there on page 6 of the McTell board and may still have some useful information:

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=4801.0

Mindwarper
Embrace your inner geeky prog freak
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: S.F. Ca. USA

Friendly Drunkard

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 02:27:05 AM »

Does anyone have a tracklist or what member of FC are in the line up. I go for the strange live shows, but am not going to hunt it down if it is just another meet on the ledge or matty.   Did they ever play lord marlborough live?  Lets have some not so played tracks.

Stop the violens, Visualise whirled peas
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 07:16:43 AM »

The show included three sets. The split was roughly 30 mins Earl Okin, then 45mins each Ralph McTell and Fairport.
The following made it onto the CD. Which also contains enhanced content (mainly Photos of the event and notes by Ralph McTell as I recall)

Earl Okin:
  One Note Samba
  Rockin' Chair
Ralph McTell:
  Maginot Waltz
  Mrs Adlams Angels
  Drybone Shuffle
  After Rain
  Peppers and Tomatoes
  Sweet Mystery (With Danny Thompson)
  From Clare to here (With Danny Thompson)
Fairport Convention ( Simon Nicol / Dave Pegg / Ric Sanders / Chris Leslie / Gerry Conway )
  Journeymand Grace
  Widow of Westmorelands Daugnter
  The Fossil Hunter
  Portmerion
  Matty Groves/ Dirty Linen
  Meet on the Ledge (All)

SteveK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: