TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:00:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Eclection--a missing root/branch in my collection  (Read 9712 times)
NeilMcLaughlin

Loc: Ohio

« on: December 11, 2005, 01:37:00 AM »

Just curious what anyone who has heard the Eclection album in its entirety thinks of it.  I'm a big fan of Trevor's vocals, so was a bit disappointed to find that he only takes lead on a couple cuts, but listening to the clips on Amazon, I'm intrigued enough by the sound to want to hear the whole songs.  Glad to know that it is available on CD, and will probably get it eventually.

Is it too late to change the way we're bound to go?
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 08:33:40 AM »

Its a fantastic album.

All the songs are just so evocative of that time and Trevor sings beautifully.especially on 'In The Early Days' with the descending bass lines

I am, of course biased, because I did know the band and Kerrillee Male taught me some vocal exercises, which I can (lluckily) still remember and use.

Jude Cheesy

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 01:44:57 PM »

Thanks for the reply, Jude.  I'll definitely be getting it based on your recommendation.  I'll report back when I've had a chance to process it adequately.  In the meantime, perhaps others who have heard this album will weigh in.

How many here heard this album at time of release?  How many have acquired it recently?  Was it a pleasant surprise, or what they expected to hear?

I see that GC provides notes for the CD release--it will be interesting to read his perspective on the band and the times.

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:54:04 PM »

theres omly him and that dutch bloke out of sailor left isnt there

The Dude abides
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 10:28:15 AM »

Hello everybody this my first post, be gentle!
I bought this album when it came out and for many months played it about 6 times every day. It still sounds as good today,but a bit (a lot really!) crackly.
PS To avoid confusion I am not the NickReg trading on Ebay.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 12:29:24 PM »

Good Day to you NickReg.....

No sitting on the fence there then.... a strong vote for Eclection

Nice to see you here NickReg and hope to see you about on the pages in the days\weeks to come

All the best

Nuthouse

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 07:22:15 PM »

Good Day to you NickReg.....

No sitting on the fence there then.... a strong vote for Eclection

Nice to see you here NickReg and hope to see you about on the pages in the days\weeks to come

All the best

Nuthouse

I bought it in 1967 after seeing them do support to the Beach Boys at the Odeon in Glasgow.  By that time Kerri had moved on and the late great Dorris Henderson was on vocals.  Kerri's vocals always had a touch of the Judith Durham's about them.  Dorris was altogether ballsier. I also remember being really impressed that someone from Norway could write such great lyrics in English.

Happy days.  I must replay the vinyl when I get home tonight.

David

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 10:33:50 AM »

A really good album... very good vocals, instrumentation, production. I think I saw the Dorris Henderson manifestation at somewhere like the Roundhouse in its early days... Definitely worth getting the cd.

So we beat on. boats against the current...
NeilMcLaughlin

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2006, 01:35:34 AM »

Finally received this in the mail, and just wanted to say I agree with the sentiments that it is
a very worthwhile addition to my music collection, not quite like anything else I've got.
There are certain similarities to the Mamas and the Papas vocal-harmonizing-wise, but the lyrics
and instrumentation/arrangements are pretty unique and appeal to me pretty quickly.
I do wonder what would have happened if they had been able to perform in the US around the
time this album came out, but seeing as Fotheringay was an almost immediate result of their disbanding,
I'm happy with this being exactly the great one off that it is.

I'm sure it will just grow on me with repeated listening.  Thanks again for the recommendations.

suzip
n3wb

Loc: Adelaide, South Australia

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 09:00:13 AM »

Dear All,
            I was a great fan of Eclection and bought their only LP in 1967 after hearing them on John Peels radio programme. I saw them play at a small 'dancing club' called 'The Frank Freeman School of Dance' in Kidderminster Worcestershire. 
Although I was very young at the time their harmonies and arrangements were very impressive and they played to a resounding encore.  I have since obtained a  copy of the album on CD to rekindle fond memories of a lost age. My favourite tracks are 'In her mind', 'Nevertheless' and 'Confusion' its great to hear that somone else likes them. 

Suzip
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: