TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 16, 2024, 01:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franklin  (Read 25095 times)
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2005, 10:11:10 PM »

It was written by James Taylor, Amy and I believed it to refer to a sailor being extracted from the ice after a hundred years or so. His clothes and possessions, even his body were remarkably intact.

I don't know the whole story but there was a tv documentary about it, I remember.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2005, 10:34:03 PM »

Oohh James Taylor was it..  then I was wrong.. but didn't LW record it??

Or have I got it completely wrong??

Never mind... Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 10:18:22 AM »

The documentary included footage of 3(?) frozen bodies being uncovered - all very well preserved - back in the 19080s. I remember reading a magazine article on this subject about 10 years ago.  Perhaps JT read a similar article (National Geographic?) and took his inspiration from there....?  Cracking song anyway.

Flobbadob!
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 10:20:12 AM »

Never mind... Grin

I don't think Loudon Wainwright has recorded it, I thought Fairport did, or am I completely wrong?

giottoscircle (Robert)
Water pistoled at the Sooty Show

Loc: Leeds

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 10:23:46 AM »

Never mind... Grin

I don't think Loudon Wainwright has recorded it, I thought Fairport did, or am I completely wrong?

I am sure Loudon sang it. Will have to check albums tonight!
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 11:30:29 AM »

Never mind... Grin

Old New Borrowed Blue from March 96 by Fairport "Acoustic" Convention, in this case Simon,Ric,Peggy and Maart.

Steve
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 12:32:52 PM »

Old New Borrowed Blue from March 96 by Fairport "Acoustic" Convention, in this case Simon,Ric,Peggy and Maart.

The same CD had two tracks by Loudon Wainwright (Men & Swimming Song) which is probably where the confusion arises.

'The Frozen Man' was only two years old when Franklin set sail, so no connection there.

The version of 'Lord Franklin' sung by Pentangle describes a dream about the expedition.
Chris Leslie makes reference to this by starting with the same tune. His song also describes a dream of somebody who did sail with Franklin, but on an earlier expedition.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 01:22:59 PM »

There you go, told you.

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 01:42:13 PM »

Coming back to Shackleton.. just for a moment...  on the news it's just said that it's the 90th anniversary of his ill fated expedition!!!

What a coincidence!!!

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 03:14:26 PM »

It was written by James Taylor, Amy and I believed it to refer to a sailor being extracted from the ice after a hundred years or so. His clothes and possessions, even his body were remarkably intact.

I don't know the whole story but there was a tv documentary about it, I remember.

You remember well Cocker. That would be "Frozen in Time". See earlier post. I was in a pub quiz in Radnor about15 years ago. The answer to one question was Baffin Bay which I got purely through knowing the song. Afterwards, the team captain asked how I knew the answer. I explained about the song" Lord Franklin". He said, "that's interesting. One of my ancestors was on the Franklin Expedition". Spooky.

I used to be a Secondspur
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2005, 01:13:10 PM »

My two-penn'orth (all from memory here, so apologies if I'm getting it wrong)...

The Fairport song I think you're all searching for on Over the Next Hill is "I'm Already There", which is about a member of one of the Franklin expeditions - the one they didn't all die on.  The hero of the song has a brother who is the vicar of a church in Banbury, and the song is about how they're thinking of each other in their very different lives.  There also seems to be some kind of supernatural dream-communication going on but I won't delve into that.  Chris always mentions the stained glass window in the church in Banbury (St Margaret's ??  St M-something anyway) that shows a ship surrounded by ice.

Sorry if someone's already covered this - I'm catching up an extra day's worth today...

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2005, 02:57:15 PM »

That's the one Anna!!!!

Glad I wasn't hearing things (cos I do y'know Wink)

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2005, 07:43:11 PM »

Although the tune for "All in Green" on the "Georgia on our Mind" CD is attributed to Martin, whereas in fact it's Mozart! (Second movement of the Hunt quartet). The words are correctly attributed to ee cummings. I suppose having a Mozart tune attributed to you must rank as a major compliment.  Smiley

Ah, but where did Mozart get it from? It was in fact a pre-exiting folk tune, as are many tunes attributed to Classical composers.

Evidence, please.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2005, 10:49:21 PM »

Although the tune for "All in Green" on the "Georgia on our Mind" CD is attributed to Martin, whereas in fact it's Mozart! (Second movement of the Hunt quartet). The words are correctly attributed to ee cummings. I suppose having a Mozart tune attributed to you must rank as a major compliment.  Smiley

Ah, but where did Mozart get it from? It was in fact a pre-exiting folk tune, as are many tunes attributed to Classical composers.

Evidence, please.

Quite, Barry.  ...and you know this because, PLW?  Cite your source.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2005, 08:27:18 PM »

Chris always mentions the stained glass window in the church in Banbury (St Margaret's ??  St M-something anyway)

THat'd be St Mary's, on Horsefair.....

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: