TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 23, 2024, 03:06:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Franklin  (Read 25198 times)
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« on: November 20, 2005, 10:03:11 AM »

Did anyone else watch the Ch4 documentry on Sir John Franklin the other evening?  Was this the same Franklin that Chris sings about on Over The Next Hill?  When Chris introduces the song I'm sure he says that the man in the song survived, but the documentry said all 300 died (there was evidence of cannabalism, as the men tried to cross the artic).
Was it the same Franklin, or was it another expedition, or poetic license on that one?

Anyone know please?

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 10:27:22 AM »

Yes I saw that too Mic..  and I'm sure it was the same expedition.. though I don't know why...

Poetic licence?.. This needs investigating further...

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 10:53:34 AM »

The song referrers to another song, by Pentangle (possibly trad.) which was about somebody on one of the ships searching for Franklin.

I'm sure somebody will look t up.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 11:19:46 AM »

The song Lord Franklin is a Victorian folk song (sung by Pentangle and Martin Carthy - the tune was stolen from Martin Carthy by Bob Dylan for Bob Dylan's Dream) about the ill fated expedition of Sir John Franklin to find the legendary northwest passage.

They all died, either by lead poisoning from the lead seals, used in the tinned food on the ship, hypothermia or by gradual attrition to the snow and ice.  The Innuit people saw survivors for a good number of years afterwards trying to make their way to safety, but no survivors made it.

http://www.ric.edu/rpotter/SJFranklin.html is a good and technical website on the matter.

Its a bit of a sad song for me because it was the last song I heard on the day my mother died, so I have trouble listening to it  Cry
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 11:29:57 AM »

- the tune was stolen from Martin Carthy by Bob Dylan for Bob Dylan's Dream........

Poor old Martin. Having tunes/arrangements knicked from him by American superstars seems to have been the bane of his life......

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 11:39:55 AM »

- the tune was stolen from Martin Carthy by Bob Dylan for Bob Dylan's Dream........

Poor old Martin. Having tunes/arrangements knicked from him by American superstars seems to have been the bane of his life......

Although the tune for "All in Green" on the "Georgia on our Mind" CD is attributed to Martin, whereas in fact it's Mozart! (Second movement of the Hunt quartet). The words are correctly attributed to ee cummings. I suppose having a Mozart tune attributed to you must rank as a major compliment.  Smiley

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 12:39:18 PM »

The note at the bottom of the song words says that George Back went on Franklin's first Arctic voyage 1819-1822, so unless the first voyage was also his last, Franklin did survive.

It was, in fact, the 1845 expedition when everyone died.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 12:47:29 PM »

Ah, that was where I saw the bit about surviving Roll Eyes

Must have been another expidition then Undecided  cos the poor beggers they were talking about on Ch4 sure didn't survive Shocked

Mic

Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 12:58:38 PM »

Sorry Mic, I modified my post to add the bit about the 1845 expedition after visiting the site that a previous poster recommended and before reading your reply.  Embarrassed

Sounds like a good programme - I wish I'd seen it.  I saw something similar a few years back in a series of programmes about expeditions.  There was one about the Arctic but not sure if it was the Franklin expedition.
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 01:07:24 PM »

It was really interesting, as I said there was much evidence of cannabalism...though the experts who have been following the trail have established that this occurred after Franklin had already died, I think he was a victim of the lead poisoning Undecided But when you imagine just how desperate the poor devils must have been... Of course back in England the cannabalism went down like a lead balloon, and Franklin was credited with having discovered the North West Passage, which, according to the programme he didn't, being dead like.

Mic - I likes history Smiley

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 01:59:52 PM »

[

[/quote]

Although the tune for "All in Green" on the "Georgia on our Mind" CD is attributed to Martin, whereas in fact it's Mozart! (Second movement of the Hunt quartet). The words are correctly attributed to ee cummings. I suppose having a Mozart tune attributed to you must rank as a major compliment.  Smiley
[/quote]

Ah, but where did Mozart get it from? It was in fact a pre-exiting folk tune, as are many tunes attributed to Classical composers.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2005, 02:19:26 PM »

Sounds like a good programme - I wish I'd seen it.  I saw something similar a few years back in a series of programmes about expeditions.  There was one about the Arctic but not sure if it was the Franklin expedition.

Could that have been the one about Shackleton and his ill fated Antarctic expedition maybe??

AmyJen

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2005, 02:29:15 PM »

re the cannibalism thing
 i dont think it was  that rare in those days,when people  were stranded in inhospitable places with no ready food source
 its called survival and it didnt carry a huge stigma in the days before refrigeration and air drops
  mmmmm im hungry myself now

The Dude abides
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2005, 03:18:05 PM »

Though according to the tv prog the Victorians really hushed it up in the case of Franklin...

AmyJen

Cocker Freeman
Young Salt
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Maldon, Essex

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2005, 03:29:34 PM »

Does "The Frozen Man" refer to the Franklin expedition?

I think it was John Renbourn who brought "Lord Franklin" to Pentangle. It's certainly in one of his guitar books.

johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2005, 03:48:16 PM »

This is a little unfair on His Bobness, as he credits Martin Carthy with the tune and the ideas in some of the lyrics. I didn't think Martin had an issue with Dylan, in fact I believe he was backstage at Blackbush in 1978 as Bob's guest.

As for Franklin, he was known as "the man who ate his boots" following his first disasterous overland expedition to the Arctic. This failure may have led to his decision to return years later when he was far too old, having been governor of Tasmania
He was in charge of some of the Chartists deported following the Westgate Hotel Massacre.

As for finding the North West Passage, this is true in part, as far as there is a passage. Mostly the route is frozen, so there is no definitive passage. Franklin tried during some of the most severe winters known in the Arctic. The first person to sucessfully navigate (Inuit excluded!) would be Amundsen in 1905.

If you would like to know more, try getting a book called "Frozen in Time". Very interesting.

I used to be a Secondspur
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2005, 03:50:07 PM »

See, I knew there would be a wealth of knowledge in here, thank you for your help boardsters Smiley

Mic

Curt

Loc: Forest Hill, SE London, England

« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2005, 04:07:59 PM »

Yep - cannibalism seems to have an option to stranded sailors - in the celebrated 1884 murder case of R v Dudley and Stephens the two Defendants were castawys at sea 1600 miles from land.  They took the obvious step of killing their ailing companion and feeding on his body and blood until they were rescued. 

Despite pleading necessity and the jury being sympathetic they still were still sentenced to death (although they received a pardon after six months on death row).

Note to self: dont get stranded at sea with burley sailors  Smiley
johnthegonne

Loc: West Kent

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2005, 05:25:43 PM »

Yep - cannibalism seems to have an option to stranded sailors - in the celebrated 1884 murder case of R v Dudley and Stephens the two Defendants were castawys at sea 1600 miles from land.  They took the obvious step of killing their ailing companion and feeding on his body and blood until they were rescued. 

Despite pleading necessity and the jury being sympathetic they still were still sentenced to death (although they received a pardon after six months on death row).

Note to self: dont get stranded at sea with burley sailors  Smiley

You could always distract them with a nice story about squirrels. Smiley

I used to be a Secondspur
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2005, 05:30:54 PM »

Does "The Frozen Man" refer to the Franklin expedition?

I think it was John Renbourn who brought "Lord Franklin" to Pentangle. It's certainly in one of his guitar books.

Don't think so Cocker.. that was one from Louden Wainwright's mind...

AmyJen

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: