TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:37:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richard Thompson Tour 2006  (Read 23226 times)
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« on: October 04, 2005, 04:42:39 PM »

Just picked up a couple of seats for Richard Thompson at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester.  Cool

Don’t' panic!  Other venues are available as well, see http://www.richardthompson-music.com/Tour.asp

Interestingly, the seats that I've got are in the Circle where the sound at the Bridgewater Hall is at it's best and yet they cheaper than the seats down in the stalls - Brilliant.  Grin Grin Grin

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
xjrcrunch
Wah-wah can wait

Loc: Surrey

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 05:13:04 PM »

As a result of overenthusiasm, I grabbed a couple of tickets for the Barbican gig before the Basingstoke date was announced.

So now I have tickets for consecutive nights at different venues. Undecided

Ho hum!

I prefer the Anvil as it's a more intimate auditorium and I've not seen him appear there without Christine Collister appearing at some point (local lass).

I can't go two nights in a row, that would start to look obsessive  Smiley

Crunch
ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

One more time with feeling

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 05:17:05 PM »

is he ever going to do a UK band tour again??? Roll Eyes
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 06:01:10 PM »

Yes, when he releases another full-band album - the laterst is solo acoustic (mostly).

But with tickets for solo shows approaching £25, I shudder to think how much band shows will be....

Neil
About to blow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Oregon

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »

Ticket in the US once all the gouging from ticketmaster was over came to $47, the band show was about the same price las time he played.

I'm going this Friday Grin

Things change all the time, and they'll probably never be the same again. It's just the natural evolution of the human condition. Guy Clark
Taliesin

Loc: Burton-Upon-Trent

Druid of Bass, with a Folk, blues & Metal leant.

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 07:54:57 AM »

Coventry or Sheffield.... Think I'd rather have the 2 hour drive to Blackpool than suffer Coventry or Sheffield city centres... Driving around Coventry is not an experience Id wish on my worst enemy, it seems that the ring road system has been designed by someone who is a magic Rounderbout fan, who has been on some sort of illigal substance, as that can be the only explanation of the madness. Its worse than the jokers who designed the signposting sytem around & through Birmingham. One tip don't use the signposts unless you want to put half an hour onto a trip to the indoor arena, as its 5 minutes off the expressway if you know where you are going, but about 45 minutes following the signs...lol

The Dragons stir below for the old Gods awaken from their long slumber

http://www.freewebs.com/branstones/
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 07:59:47 AM »

Driving around Coventry is not an experience Id wish on my worst enemy, it seems that the ring road system has been designed by someone who is a magic Rounderbout fan, who has been on some sort of illigal substance, as that can be the only explanation of the madness.

Hmmm - the gig is at Warwick Arts Centre. Midway between Warwick & Coventry. Directly accesible off the M40 / A46, you don't  need to go anywhere near that ring road.

Taliesin

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 08:40:31 AM »

Driving around Coventry is not an experience Id wish on my worst enemy, it seems that the ring road system has been designed by someone who is a magic Rounderbout fan, who has been on some sort of illigal substance, as that can be the only explanation of the madness.

Hmmm - the gig is at Warwick Arts Centre. Midway between Warwick & Coventry. Directly accesible off the M40 / A46, you don't  need to go anywhere near that ring road.

In that case that's not too bad... Had visions of negotiating the Coven'try Ring road, not to be taken lightly unless you've trained to be part of the Police motorcycle stunt team. And with the standard of most peoples driving these days, even if you are a trained stunt driver, you'd still risk life & no claims bonus, as people don't know how to filter properly these days.

Warwick I can cope with..... Well I can cope with Coventry if there is no other option, but given the choce I'd avoid like the plague.  So Warwick.. eh?  Sounds like a plan :-)

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:46:38 AM »

It's on the University of Warwick campus....

Taliesin

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2005, 08:52:43 AM »

It's on the University of Warwick campus....

That means absolutely nowt to me, as I never did get to go to Universaty, something I now regret all these years later as I know I could have tried to get in somewhere, but didn't as it was just when they were bringing in this no grants thing & before student loans were sorted out.

Think I can guess about where its likely to be though from your previous description tho

Cheers :-) Cool

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2005, 08:56:27 AM »

I mentioned that as signs for the University are the first useful roadsigns you will see if you approach on the roads that I indicated.

ollythedolly
Grownup
Folkcorp Guru

One more time with feeling

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2005, 09:02:02 AM »

saw him at Warwick last year, amazing gig! seamed that the audience picked half the set list!! well worth going.
olly
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2005, 09:02:02 AM »

Yes, when he releases another full-band album - the laterst is solo acoustic (mostly).

But with tickets for solo shows approaching £25, I shudder to think how much band shows will be....

There must be some pretty expensive venues around if they're charging £25 for the RT tour!  I got both my tickets for a grand total of £35 (inc. admin/booking fee), and it would have only cost £41 for the more expensive seats in the stalls.

Ah the joys of living up North!  Grin
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2005, 09:25:26 AM »

Tickets at the LOndon Barbican are £25 & £20, plus booking fee. Warwick Arts Centre will be over £20 including booking fee.

Unfortunately, RT is represented by Asgard now. Tickets went up a fiver when they took over....

Taliesin

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2005, 10:43:38 AM »

Tickets at the LOndon Barbican are £25 & £20, plus booking fee. Warwick Arts Centre will be over £20 including booking fee.

Unfortunately, RT is represented by Asgard now. Tickets went up a fiver when they took over....

So it looks like Ragnarok has set in for the punters walets then ... Roll Eyes Sad Cheesy Angry

johanna/ulla
The Cropredy Opening Act
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Worms, Germany

Don´t mention the war

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2005, 12:18:10 PM »

saw him at Warwick last year, amazing gig! seamed that the audience picked half the set list!! well worth going.
olly

I´ll be there  Tiara
PeteD
They choose the path where no one goes...Gercha!

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2005, 12:29:23 PM »

Coventry or Sheffield.... Think I'd rather have the 2 hour drive to Blackpool than suffer Coventry or Sheffield city centres... Driving around Coventry is not an experience Id wish on my worst enemy, it seems that the ring road system has been designed by someone who is a magic Rounderbout fan, who has been on some sort of illigal substance, as that can be the only explanation of the madness. Its worse than the jokers who designed the signposting sytem around & through Birmingham. One tip don't use the signposts unless you want to put half an hour onto a trip to the indoor arena, as its 5 minutes off the expressway if you know where you are going, but about 45 minutes following the signs...lol

Are you sure you weren't on 'illegal substances' when you last drove around the ring road?

I can't see the problem myself, I reckon it is the easiest ring road to negotiate in any city.
But then again, I have lived here all my life. Wink
Taliesin

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2005, 12:32:04 PM »

Are you sure you weren't on 'illegal substances' when you last drove around the ring road?

I can't see the problem myself, I reckon it is the easiest ring road to negotiate in any city.
But then again, I have lived here all my life. Wink

I'm refering to these filter routes that not only filter in but filter out & the crazy things I've seen happen on bits of Mororway or towns where there is a junction like that is hardly bares thinking about, Now Coventy has numerous junctions like that round its ring road, its completely mad.

issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2005, 12:36:22 PM »

Boys, forget Coventry.. come to doughnut city instead  Wink   Sunny Basingstoke....

Looking forward to the Anvil...  being in an RT gig is something akin to a state of bliss for me  Tiara

Wasn't Christine Collister FABULOUS with him at Cropredy!    Wouldn't it be great if she had her own slot!  

Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2005, 01:48:30 PM »

We shall be at the Anvil. That's Sandy, Fi and Me at least.

Sandy and I saw him there solo at the Anvil last year and Straw and I were there the year before for the 'Ducknapped' tour. Both gigs were good and both had Christine Collister as a surprise guest.

(The only other time we've been to the Anvil was for the Oysterband Big Session when Christine Collister appeared as a guest... oh. I'm beginning to detect a pattern here.  Smiley )

I saw the show at Warwick Arts last year too. It's a good venue; on-campus in a very leafy area of Warwick/Coventry/countryside. It didn't seem to be that close to either place but was very easy to find (just off the M40/A46 for me) and had plenty of parking.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: