TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:49:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Acts  (Read 42621 times)
Jono
free-flowing and painless all weekend

Loc: Wardington

Rosin up the bow...

« on: September 23, 2005, 11:42:20 AM »

Undecided

Maybe it's just me, but I get really frustrated with seeing the same-old names re-appearing at Cropredy each year. This is what I've come to call "Richard Digance Syndrome"  Wink

But seriously though, for years now it seems the only bands to play the 'big-gig' are tjose who are in some way pals with Fairport. Does anyone else get this feeling?

Chris While & Julie Matthews for example - apart from not being that keen on them myself, if they're not at Cropredy as "Chris While & Julie Matthews" - they disguise themselves as "Blue Tapestry" and get in that way!

I have'nt added this to the various 2006/2007/2087 polls as I think I'm making a different point. But I would like to see NEW, fresh, young bands given a chance. Not least myself one day I suppose, when I'm in a band WORTHY of treading the cropredy boards  Roll Eyes But I'm not talking about 8yr old girls here either... Tiny Tin Lady, very talented for their age I guess but not really cropredy standard by a long shot. They do well for the novelty value of them being very small and young. If they were 30 years old playing/singing as they do they wouldn't get the gig.

There's also the question of fundemental groups that should have appeared at Cropredy and haven't. The Levellers? Kate Rusby? Flogging Molly? Wolfstone? and why have the Saw Doctors never been asked back? My word - they were good!

And finally, to put an end to my rant - JAMES TAYLOR. Expensive I'm sure, but maybe worth considering as a treat for 2007 40th anniversary???  Grin

Rant over. Sorry folks. And no offence meant to anyone elses taste or the bands mentioned either - just my opinion!

Here's to it and to it again!
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2005, 11:47:34 AM »

Well, it is  Fairport's party.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 11:58:09 AM »

I would like to see NEW, fresh, young bands given a chance......But I'm not talking about 8yr old girls here either... Tiny Tin Lady, very talented for their age I guess but not really cropredy standard by a long shot.

Difficlt one this  - new, young usually mean not Cropredy standard, because they haven't (obviously) had the years of experience....examples please of who you are thinking about?

Bear in mind that I wouldn't describe Kate Rusby as either 'young' or 'new' any longer.

There's also the question of fundemental groups that should have appeared at Cropredy and haven't. The Levellers? Kate Rusby? Flogging Molly? Wolfstone?

We've explored the Levellers before - check out that thread elsewhere - and several times explored everyone's taste in music is different - Personally, Kate Rusby isn't one of mine, for example.

And finally, to put an end to my rant - JAMES TAYLOR. Expensive I'm sure, but maybe worth considering as a treat for 2007 40th anniversary???  Grin

Expense & unavailability (he's resident in the States & as the festival has never paid airfares, he needs to be in the UK in August.....

Jono

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 12:04:30 PM »

Indeed, I know all the above is true. Just to point out, I didn't describe Kate Rusby as Young or New, but as a "fundemental" group - experienced, popular (and not just in the usual folk-circles).

It is also Fairports party as Anna pointed out but equally, they think of it as everyones party!  Grin

And finally re. James Taylor - I know that cost is the issue, as I said, perhaps it would be worth the Fairports treating themnselves (and us!) for the 40th anniversary. I'm sure that at least 3/5 of the fairports said in their Cropredy program biogs this year that they'd most like to see James Taylor on stage at Cropredy??? GO ON LADS, TREAT Y'SELVES!  Cheesy

PLW (Peter)
I didn't understand it then, and I don't now.
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Worcester

Words between the lines of age

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »

The one thing I missed this year was the appearance of at least one high-profile "surprise" guest in the Fairport set. You know, when Ian Anderson or Robert Plant makes an unscheduled appearance. It always used to be a great game - guessing who might "turn up" this year.
Jono

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2005, 12:17:55 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^
True!

(Seperate story - I remember one year on Thursday morning pitching up my tent, hearing James Taylor playing on stage - I jumped up! shouting to my missus and everyone else about "James Taylor's playing! He's gonna be a special surprise guest!"... I ran to the field - only to find the sound guys using a JT CD for sound check  Sad)

Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2005, 12:29:24 PM »

Wolfstone?

Wolfstone have played in the past.  Based on when I saw them a couple of years back, they now use so many backing tapes, you might as well put on a CD.

It's a very good point you are making, though.  I'm sure that the powers that be in the Fairport camp will take the comments into consideration.

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Mark
and if any one should ask me.........
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Carmarthen

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2005, 12:57:49 PM »

Undecided

Maybe it's just me, but I get really frustrated with seeing the same-old names re-appearing at Cropredy each year. This is what I've come to call "Richard Digance Syndrome"  Wink

But seriously though, for years now it seems the only bands to play the 'big-gig' are tjose who are in some way pals with Fairport. Does anyone else get this feeling?

I know what you mean, the musical lineup is rarely to my taste these days, but then I no longer go to Cropredy for the music alone - its become an institution for me!

Much as I would love to see JT perform (and I know Peggy would love to see him headline a night at Crop too), Chris' points as to why they haven't managed to book him sound pretty convincing to me. There are plenty of great musicians out there who may be more attainable though -

John Renbourne
Bert Jansch
Dick Gaughan
Christy Moore
Peatbog Faeries
Tom Robinson

Just to name a few.....

"And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once. And we should call every truth false which was not accompanied by at least one laugh." Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2005, 01:17:26 PM »

I take it that Edwina Hayes & Uiscedwr don't count as new & fresh then!  Wink

I know where you're coming from on this though, and it would be great to see certain artists who really should have already graced the Cropredy stage along with some of the newer emerging talent - Any band that includes Boden & Spiers for example.  Grin

Cheers
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Jono

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2005, 01:45:07 PM »

I don't disagree with any of you! Nice to know some of you share my frustrations though in some way or another.

I also agree about Cropredy being more than just the music! I'd go regardless of who was playing! (Well, almost)

Wolfstone - what a great band they WERE. Not sure they'd be any good these dyas for the reasons stated above. They should have been at Cropredy though in their hayday... 1996-ish!

Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2005, 02:44:56 PM »

....along with some of the newer emerging talent - Any band that includes Boden & Spiers for example.  Grin

Errrr....they've been on the circuit for some years now....hardly emerging talent.

Wolfstone - what a great band they WERE. Not sure they'd be any good these dyas for the reasons stated above. They should have been at Cropredy though in their hayday... 1996-ish!

Again....Errrrr....please check before posting! They played Cropredy as new, emerging talent *before* their heyday, in 1992.

Expletive Delighted is always a good place to check who's played Cropredy.

folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2005, 03:05:47 PM »

They played Cropredy as new, emerging talent *before* their heyday, in 1992.

Oh good. I was beginning to think that they had been a 6x-fuelled figment of my imagination.

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
Jono

Rosin up the bow...

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2005, 04:03:33 PM »

Alright then, how about a re-emerging Clarion? Get them back on! They might have done the circuit once but they're still young enough to do it again and reach a completely fresh audience.  Cheesy

Jack O Diamonds
Hard Card

Gone, Gone, Gone

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 04:08:36 PM »

....along with some of the newer emerging talent - Any band that includes Boden & Spiers for example.  Grin

Errrr....they've been on the circuit for some years now....hardly emerging talent.

Again....Errrrr....please check before posting! They played Cropredy as new, emerging talent *before* their heyday, in 1992.

Gawd help us... This is a chat website not a PhD doctorate... "Please check before posting" indeed!!! Why?? This site can encompass sagacity, insight and polymathic understanding but it can also encompass enthusiasm, ignorance, mistakes, honest opinion. Lighten up buddy, boy... this ain't a school room!

So we beat on. boats against the current...
Chris
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 06:15:36 PM »

Bad day at the office, JoD?

Alright then, how about a re-emerging Clarion? Get them back on! They might have done the circuit once but they're still young enough to do it again and reach a completely fresh audience.  Cheesy

Good idea....but two of them aren't interested, I understand. Maybe Triv can work wonders.....

Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 07:49:51 PM »

Dick Gaughan, Bert Jansch et al are all great performers, but based on seeing Carthy/Swarbrick, RT acoustic etc at Cropredy in the past, it is very difficult to enjoy a solo(ish) acoustic performance, especially as the evening wears on and the crowd is er a little rowdier and noisier.

Canada Day with Spirit of the West, Great Big Sea, The Fables, The Bills, The Paperboys etc would be great...

Thank Drunk I'm God
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 09:58:22 PM »

hows aboot a big round of applause for the star of canada day, mr Neil Young and crazy horse, guys and gals
  that would be nice on a friday night wouldnt it

The Dude abides
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 10:21:31 PM »

Gawd help us... This is a chat website not a PhD doctorate... "Please check before posting" indeed!!! Why?? This site can encompass sagacity, insight and polymathic understanding but it can also encompass enthusiasm, ignorance, mistakes, honest opinion. Lighten up buddy, boy... this ain't a school room!

I'm not sure if I should argue or agree with you, 'cos I don't understand all those long words you used.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2005, 09:11:30 AM »

Dick Gaughan, Bert Jansch et al are all great performers, but based on seeing Carthy/Swarbrick, RT acoustic etc at Cropredy in the past, it is very difficult to enjoy a solo(ish) acoustic performance, especially as the evening wears on and the crowd is er a little rowdier and noisier.

Canada Day with Spirit of the West, Great Big Sea, The Fables, The Bills, The Paperboys etc would be great...

Great Big Sea are really lively and would be excellent for Friday, and Tanglefoot (have they been mentioned already)

Sian

Not been for a while
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2005, 09:23:01 AM »

hows aboot a big round of applause for the star of canada day, mr Neil Young and crazy horse, guys and gals
  that would be nice on a friday night wouldnt it

It's not likely to happen, but it would be nice!

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: