TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 25, 2024, 03:18:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Traders,- the Fabulous, the Okay and the Downright Yuk!  (Read 52182 times)
Randlepmcmurphy
Snug Bastard Survivor

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2005, 08:31:52 PM »

I love that 'childcatcher' bloke with his puppets on strings beats hard drugs anyday and while were at it what's an Oggie ?

My friends are all junkies but they're still my friends
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2005, 09:19:33 PM »

i always thought it was something odd and welsh,bit like your bad self

The Dude abides
Alezed (Aleks)
someone's suspiciously absent princess

Loc: Dudley, West Midlands

Is it cuz I is black.... country loike?

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2005, 09:24:12 PM »

Right.... The soap stall was a nice addition quite lovely stuff.

I liked the one Indian up from potato moon (which i also love!!!) there are some stalls that are a bit pricey and on a wet weekend I certainly wouldn't be buying handmade paper

I'd like to draw the attention of Talkawhilers to the lovely group of people who for quite a few years have been selling home made biscuits at a bag of about 5/6 for a pound in ginger, Cinnamon, mixed spice and chocolate flavours... they are fantastic and for charity the money goes to help fund canine partners (dogs for the disabled) the biscuits are cooked by the sister of the lady who runs the stall and she and her dog are lovely!

Googler Extrodinare (CSI Cropredy Branch)
Me?? Little mee mee.... never?!
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2005, 09:40:15 PM »

I really miss the 'real lemonade' stall, that's been missin for about 3 years now. I would love to see a jacket potato van, or did I miss it?  Huh Fez

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Keith
Mostly Harmless
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Land of the Reivers, Scotland

Trying to save himself.

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2005, 09:42:52 PM »

I'd like to draw the attention of Talkawhilers to the lovely group of people who for quite a few years have been selling home made biscuits at a bag of about 5/6 for a pound in ginger, Cinnamon, mixed spice and chocolate flavours...

We had some of them (I had cinnamon which Mrs Keith hates, so she didn't want mine  Grin ) on Friday night, which filled us up nicely in the tent.

Already free, and soon you can pay for it...

www.underminers.org
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2005, 09:51:39 PM »

Oggies - top stuff, not cornish pasties but none the worse for that.... and anything that can keep SoN's stomach quiet for a couple of hours fro £3.50 get's my vote

The stall on opposite side of field that did the 'wild' Happy Shirts as modelled by me (flat out on the deck) get another Thumbs Up vote - anywhere I can get more shirts wihout Mrs N's intervention or threats of divorce is a stall I like.

Good having two music stalls.

I have said this before, and it will probably run counter to the Wadworth presence at Cropredy, but there are some fine breweries in the region (Frog Island and Wychwood to name a couple) - it would be good to have a showing from them. Maybe a mini beer festival on the Thursday before the bands start playing - then Wadworth can take over their 'captive' audience... just a thought.

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
clive
Called out for 'Olive'
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Leicester

Why do I always want to learn guitar in August?

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2005, 10:46:41 PM »

Good selection this year I thought. The lower (in terms of gradient) of the Indians was pretty good, they certainly didn't skimp. The noodles were a let down this year. Mine had a distinct carbonised flavour. Real Sausage Stall hit the mark as well.
Pouring beer from a milk container was slightly surreal.

Didn't see much of the hippy chick clothing stalls this year as I didn't have my hippy chick with me. Attempts to borrow a similar sized lady to go shopping with failed. (I was after a birthday present, honest.)

It wasn't me. The cat done it.
Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2005, 10:54:12 PM »

Request from son.

Could we have a proper juggling acessories stall? They have one at Bunkfest.

Paul

Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2005, 11:19:23 PM »

I'm with Pastieboy on the Oggies.....I mean they're ok, and they are certainly large, but, they just ain't proper pasties (Hey PB....fancy starting a campaign to get Dewdneys there next time Cheesy  n.b. not Ginsters urgh!!!)

Greenpeace were doing a great job, and I thought that Cropredy was an ideal venue for them to have a stall. They sorted out my membership problems, no bother. The girls running the stall were friendly and cheerful, even when getting a bit of, shall we say, negative comments.

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2005, 11:30:02 PM »

and while were at it what's an Oggie ?

An Oggie is a meal in a pastry crust. Designed in Cornwall, it was intended to survive the trip down a mine and be eaten by somebody with very grubby hands. The pastry was not eaten.
It could contain anything, savoury or sweet.
The pastie is a new fangled manifestation of this concept. Ye olde mock Tudor oggie, is feed to grocles.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Mix (Mic)
Cowcatcher for Coocachoo
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Staffs

Once more unto the breech...

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2005, 11:33:45 PM »

and while were at it what's an Oggie ?

An Oggie is a meal in a pastry crust. Designed in Cornwall, it was intended to survive the trip down a mine and be eaten by somebody with very grubby hands. The pastry was not eaten.
It could contain anything, savoury or sweet.
The pastie is a new fangled manifestation of this concept. Ye olde mock Tudor oggie, is feed to grocles.

and not what is on offer at Cropredy. I don't recommend Plymouth for much (well nothing really) but if you want to taste a real Oggy, next time you're in the South West, look for an Ivor Dewdney's shop..........yummmmmmm!!!! I swear you'lll think you've gone to Oggy heaven Tongue

Mic

Work like you don't need the money
Love like you've never been hurt
Dance like nobody's watching
Johnny-B-Mental

Loc: Leicester

Talk to me - I'm from another planet!!

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2005, 11:46:58 PM »

I missed out on the Oggies but I'll make a bee line for them next year.  My mate got one and ate the whole thing before he got back to me greedy b*&%$*& !!!

I had a good chicken kebab at the top of the field.  Most of my food seemed to be liquid this year and there was a great stall selling liquid in it's usual place  Grin Grin

The festive ale was top notch!!

J-B-M
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2005, 11:20:22 AM »

The Jamaican Curried goat was nice, but none of the curries match my fond memories of Chutney Polly...
Not being a frequenter of many of the larger festivals, or indeed of the touristy places where craft shops abound, Cropredy is my main source of 'alternative artefacts'. I always come away with business cards from the 'expensive' stalls to save for birthdays and special occasions later. Several of the jewellery stalls and the silk T shirt people have sent me things in time for Christmas.
I have even travelled quite out of my way to stock up from that lovely lady who used to paint cards while you wait...
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2005, 02:24:56 PM »

CD stall, well, I caught the one guy without gorm, had never hear of Maartin Allcock and I had to be quite persistent to get the album, having enlsited the help of one of his more knowlegable colleagues.

I enquired whether they had Fotheringay, only to be told in a rather condescending manner that they only sold CDs by artists appearing... I just didn't know where to start with my reply!

Also, can't praise the biscuits enough - we took several packets on holiday with us, excellent!
John & Mo

Loc: Deep in the Norfolk Broads

I'm not old. I'm a Real Classic.

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2005, 02:33:12 PM »

I wasn't too keen on the proximity of the Field 7 Coffee stall to the large, unsealed chemical toilet disposal tank - a couple of small tents (used by coffee stall staff?) were within a few feet of said effluvium depository - but then their cars were French registered and we all know the reputation the French have for a rather casual attitude to cleanliness.
Sir Martin
ignore the signs for the dearie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hebden Bridge

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2005, 04:16:44 PM »

Potato Moon! - The Chilli was excellent, as was the Chicken Tika Kebab from the lower Indian. Leon's, although still a favourite was more expensive and had smaller portions then he did at Glastonbury, which is extracting the urine a little I thought.

Didn't buy much 'non food' this year as it was all a bit samey.

Can we have a 'proper' CD stall back please? the lack of choice means I don't spend anything like as much as I used to - And if it was 'festival artists only', why were they selling the Martin Carthy boxed set eh? eh?

The stall pictured with all the lanterns - in a big berber tent right? Either they or someone like them used to come to Cropredy in the mid-late 80's, and they are at Glastonbury each year. I would love one of those tents....

It's like the giant, generous, flip you to the world. Industry, the Internet, sport and the flipping Beatles. Flip you all melonfarmers, but especially Paris.
Pastieboy (Trev)
Cookie Monster
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: grantham

Remember me I'm still your native son.

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2005, 04:39:15 PM »

Where is the moderator when I need one . I feel you are just rubbing in the fact that me  living in Lincolnshire (exile) cannot obtain a good Cornish Pastie. Please stop mocking the afflicted  . Or send me a regular supply of IvorDewdneys .they will keep me sweet  and quiet. Please no more OGGIE talk . There is only one Oggie and that comes from Cornwall .  Huh Sad Grin

You are what you eat !!!
MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2005, 06:20:06 PM »

Liked both the musical instrument shops, but thought it a strange place to buy an expensive guitar instrument when tipping down with rain, and being under the influence of 6X.  Too much veggy stuff, but I will eat nearly anything particulary if it contains chilli's. 

Cloths shops just bore me, thats where MrsMs MarkV likes to spend her my money!  Sooner someone makes an honest women of her, the less shop lifting there will be Grin

Curry in any shape or form ,veg or juicy yummy meaty goodness is ok with me. Oggies were good, but not Cornish, would prefer onions to leeks, but any port in a storm!

Mark

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
cathy

Loc: TRIBAL ESSEX

"Turbaned fool!"

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2005, 07:55:16 PM »

Liked the instrument stalls too,very helpful and not patronising to my daft/naive questions also the veggie stall selling the pitta humus thingies

"I get the red mist and I'm off...it's very nasty!"
Squiggle
Purr

Loc: Northwest Wales

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2005, 08:15:20 PM »

There is only one Oggie and that comes from Cornwall .  Huh Sad Grin

These were Welsh and very good.  I ate a Welsh oggie today whilst waiting for my car's MOT.  Scrummy.

J
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: