TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 09:37:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy Traders,- the Fabulous, the Okay and the Downright Yuk!  (Read 51766 times)
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2005, 12:17:33 PM »

The instrument stall that wasn't hobgoblin was great (I mean, so were hobgoblin...).  I tried a flute one evening while rather the worse for wear - spilled my beer everywhere and everything.  Liked it lots, but the guy wouldn't sell it to me just then.  Told me to come back the next day, sober, and if I still wanted it he'd sell it to me then.

Respect.

Can't remember the Hobgoblin stall much.  Just remember blithering at CL a bit and then running away in embarrassment...  Who made me drink all that beer anyway?

Foodwise.  The "Munchies" trailer by the village shop is always a welcome sight.  I know them well from bike rallies all over the country.  Their breakfast baguette (if I can remember to get it from them) is absolutely second to none!  A mobile West Cornwall Pastie place would be welcome - I often have a pastie from their St Albans shop when I'm in town.  I still like the Oggies as well though.  On the basis that Oggies aren't trying to be Pasties, and are great in their own right.  I must be one of the weirdos who isn't too taken with Leon's.  But there's space for all.

Other stuff.  I like wandering around whatever's there, but have to admit I'd not be fussy about what's there - I mostly just browse anyway.  Although I do enjoy the stalls with the mad jumpers.  I think my favourite regular is the guy who does the wooden carvings who sets up on the far side of the canal bridge.  They're marvellous.

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
pauled

Loc: Swansea

« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2005, 12:23:29 PM »

I can't understand why any trader wants to play music, there's enough good music from the stage!

The reason he does it is that he has a little stage and kids ...and adults can operate the puppets on the stage with strobe lights and smoke machine dancing to the music. It's quite fun - my son loves it. But it is just not compatable with paying customers trying to listen to a quiet number from the main stage[ which is difficult from towards the back anyway]

Paul

A holiday, a holiday and the BEST one of the year!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2005, 05:17:53 PM »

The "Munchies" trailer by the village shop is always a welcome sight.  I know them well from bike rallies all over the country.....I must be one of the weirdos who isn't too taken with Leon's.  But there's space for all.

Just to make sure that everyone is aware - only the stalls in the arena (and campsites, if there were any) are under Fairport booking control. Those elsewhere in the village deal with the relevant land owner / leaseholder. No harm in mentioning them as a recommendation if you want them on the arena field though.

But I suspect that they are where they are as they find a cheaper rent....

I can't understand why any trader wants to play music, there's enough good music from the stage!

Hmmm. I think that stall has been marked for future years. THere is a 'no music' clause in their contract....

Speleologist (Robin)
racing in gales

Loc: Gibraltar or Spain

I'd rather be sailing

« Reply #63 on: November 14, 2005, 05:50:42 PM »

Hmmm. I think that stall has been marked for future years. THere is a 'no music' clause in their contract....

Excellent - Common sense prevails.

"Posthabui tamen illorum mea seria ludo"
Polly Oxford (Andie)
give most things a go that don't involve jumping
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surrey/Sussex

Bloomin' Tall Ships...

« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2005, 12:18:21 AM »

Did I mention the lady who painted cards while you watched? Lovely fat cats and contented pigs... (I'm sure she could even manage a greyhound for Jude) but she hasn't been around for a couple of years, I think she came from Shropshire, and I'd love to stock up.
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2005, 02:12:29 PM »

Don't forget the stall that sells the "Cropredy seats", the wood and canvas slatted chairs that fold neatly into themselves and allow you to sit comfortably (and drily) just off the ground without upsetting people behind you.  Whatever else they do or don't sell (and they may even be the stall with the puppets and the music - sorry if they are) the seats are absolutely vital!!

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: