TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport Autumn Dates  (Read 71710 times)
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2005, 10:42:24 PM »

Does anyone remember the name of the two tunes? - the ones Ric "discovered" from Ashley Hutchings...I liked 'em!
Alex Lyons

Loc: Blackhill, Consett, Co Durham

"For a fat lass ya divvent sweat much"

« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2005, 10:54:29 PM »

I assume - not having been at any of the gigs - they were 'Sheriff's Ride/Upton Stick Dance', two old Sanders & Nicol standards from their duo days in the mid-80s. 'Sheriff's Ride' was also the close to 'Seventeen Come Sunday'...and part of the morris medley on 'Battle Of The Field'...

"It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory."
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2005, 10:17:09 AM »

I assume - not having been at any of the gigs - they were 'Sheriff's Ride/Upton Stick Dance', two old Sanders & Nicol standards from their duo days in the mid-80s. 'Sheriff's Ride' was also the close to 'Seventeen Come Sunday'...and part of the morris medley on 'Battle Of The Field'...

These were certainly part of the Chippy and Bromsgrove sets - will check out the Red Lion on Saturday!

I get the impression from the various threads that this is probably one of the most memorable acoustic tours, not only because of the music but also (If Lickey Parish Hall and Blakeney are anything to go by) the venues.

Steve
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2005, 10:23:38 AM »

It would be great if they added these tunes to the next album, Upton Stick is ne of my favourite Morris tunes, a right begger to dance though!!

Jackdaw
steve-n
Ironic Hooverer

Loc: Leafy Warwickshire

« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2005, 10:56:45 AM »

It would be great if they added these tunes to the next album, Upton Stick is ne of my favourite Morris tunes, a right begger to dance though!!

Jackdaw

This tour seems to have resurrected a few favourites from the (pretty diverse and probably unavailable) back-catalogue. As well as these two morris tunes, the Rosehip and, particularly, Hiring Fair/Summertime seem to have received almost universal acclaim. I would certainly be interested in a permanent record!

Steve
steveb

Loc: London

« Reply #105 on: November 22, 2005, 11:03:07 AM »

Jackdaw

This tour seems to have resurrected a few favourites from the (pretty diverse and probably unavailable) back-catalogue. As well as these two morris tunes, the Rosehip and, particularly, Hiring Fair/Summertime seem to have received almost universal acclaim. I would certainly be interested in a permanent record!

Steve

I spoke to Ric after the gig at Lewes and he did express an interest in recording Summertime.  Hope so, as many people have said, it works so well with the segue from Hiring Fair.

Dirty linen
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2005, 11:56:14 AM »

I get the impression from the various threads that this is probably one of the most memorable acoustic tours, not only because of the music but also (If Lickey Parish Hall and Blakeney are anything to go by) the venues.

Steve

Venues... with the possible exception of the Mansfield venue.. not one of my favourite venues  Grin

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2005, 01:23:19 PM »

Anyone noticed Chris's new bouzouki? Looks like a scaled up scroll mando. Good rich sound too.

I can't find it on Ozark's site for that is what it is labelled. So could it be a special or pre-production?? Didn't get chance to bore ask Chris.

Puggzz

Can't help too much on the bouzouki, but apparently it just arrived in the post one day.  Chris nearly sent it back, thinking it was a mistake... It's lovely though.  Very pretty and it makes a delicious not-quite-mando-not-quite-guitar-strumbly-zingy sound (marvellous technical terminology there).  Somebody at Grays was talking to Chris about it - was that you Kris??

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
Anna
I'll be Susan
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: London Colney, near St Albans, Herts

That's her, with the fluteystick...

« Reply #108 on: November 22, 2005, 02:00:47 PM »

Jackdaw

Steve

I spoke to Ric after the gig at Lewes and he did express an interest in recording Summertime.  Hope so, as many people have said, it works so well with the segue from Hiring Fair.

Forget Folk-Rock, here we have the birth of Folk-Jazz!!!  Hurrah - just in time, else I'd've had to invent it soon! Smiley

Flute player seeks ragtime band...
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #109 on: November 22, 2005, 05:25:42 PM »

English folk-jazz at least.

There's a couple of Scots hybrids around... Ken Hyder/Talisker, and a pianist whose name escapes me...

Flobbadob!
bcfc dave

Loc: Bristol

promotion? hmmm...

« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2005, 10:21:38 PM »

These were certainly part of the Chippy and Bromsgrove sets - will check out the Red Lion on Saturday!

Steve

Thanks chaps, I think that completes the set list, not that I recorded it or anything...

I agree, really enjoyed this year's acoustic tour but more for the music.The Chippenham leisure centre, although interesting on a fitness kind of level, wasn't necessarily an interesting venue. Saw FC at St Donats Castle Arts Centre near Cardiff a few years back, that was nice (good atmosphere, great setting) except the local Naval base kept coming through the PA!.
Gerry's percussion has made a big difference, as has no bass guitar but, the lack of bass meant I really appreciated Simon's guitar playing. In fact, the whole band were excellent. I hope Peggy makes it back for the winter tour though!
Now, if I can just get a ticket for Bradford On Avon...
Sian
Likes her members
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Oxfordshire

Mind the guy ropes!

« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2005, 11:18:12 PM »

Just got in from FC gig at Newbury.  It was a fantastic evening.  Sound at the Corn Exchange was really good.  Enjoyed the jazzy bits from Ric.  As has been previously mentioned being without a bass I seemed to be able to really home in on Simons guitar playing and it was just brilliant.  Mr Leslie was of course brilliant, as was the Gerry.  Missed Peggy of course but I must say it was a superb evenings entertainment.  Hiring Fair sent me off somewhere else, John Gaudie made me want to leap from my seat (but I didn't). Rosehip?  just beautiful I could go on and on but I need to got to bed!

Nice to see Chris B and finally met Suzanne and BB (Suzanne got The Dancer played for her especially Grin)

I shall have sweet dreams!   zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not been for a while
Suzanne
I have their verdicts in writing

"Mum" to Bentley's Ben and Barnaby

« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2005, 09:32:05 AM »

It was really enjoyable last night - nice venue with great sound.  Simon was wearing a particularly funky shirt and Ric was wearing his strange red shoes.
And it saw the end of an era (supposedly) as Ric announced that he was retiring his English Country Dancing gag with the emergency exit signs with immediate effect. Shocked  We shall see...

The songs were as strong as ever - this acoustic line-up has been a real treat for fans.  I had a Fairport virgin sitting next to me who explained to me that he'd "only come because Dave Pegg used to be in Jethro Tull". Embarrassed  This left me having to break the news to him that Peggy was not actually going to be in the show.  Thankfully, in spite of this, he seemed to enjoy himself.

It was so nice to meet Sian for the first time; hopefully it won't be the last time!  Bentley Ben was pleased to see everybody too but he's very tired now so he's having a nice long sleep at home whilst I had to get to my desk for 8.30am.

And, yeah, Chris dedicated "The Dancer" to me which was a really nice surprise. Grin
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #113 on: November 23, 2005, 10:13:28 AM »

The reports from this tour look really interesting and by all accounts the band are having a good time flicking back through various back pages as it were. I am unlikely to make ay of the gigs so can I ask a couple of questions:

1. Have the band been seated for all gigs, and if so what effect has this had?

2. In terms of on-stage action has Ric been more important than on recent full band tours where he has seemed a little on the periphery?

3. Have Peggy's backing vocals been missed i#for some of the songs where harmonies have ben important in the past?

4. How has Gerry's kit been set up - does he have a table of some sort, is the floor scattered with bells and bongos?

5. If and when the chaps decide that touring with the full band has had its day, as must surely happen at some stage (boo-hoo), do people feel that there is mileage in FC continuing in this more sedate, streamlined form?

Cheers,

Jackdaw

Suzanne

« Reply #114 on: November 23, 2005, 10:53:07 AM »

In answer to your questions:

1) They have remained seated throughout (except when Ric gets excited and loses contact with his chair).  It's not been a problem at all for me; in fact, it's made it even more informal and relaxed.  The only thing I will comment on is that, in an attempt to leave a "space" for Peggy, Chris has been sitting away from the rest of the band - there seems to be too much of a gap between him and Gerry.

2) Ric's been Ric the whole time - doing his solos and telling dreadful jokes.  However, he's been plucking the violin strings a lot more to have a sort-of "bass" effect. But he's also managed to steal the show with some of his instrumentals.

3) I must admit that I've not really noticed any problem with the lack of Peggy's vocals.  Simon and Chris have got their harmonies spot-on and both voices are powerful enough to cope.

4) Gerry has not had a table as far as I can tell.  He has some bongo-drums in front of him with some cymbals.  He also has all his shaky and bashy things (sorry, percussion is not my strong point) spread out around his chair on the floor and just picks them up as he needs them.  I should be able to submit a photograph to show you tonight.

5) I think there is mileage in an acoustic setting.  The songs have been re-worked on this occasion and we've heard songs that have been out of the repertoire for a long time and songs like "Walkawhile" and "Matty Groves" have been left out this time.  I would say that a five-piece acoustic with Peggy on acoustic bass would be highly enjoyable too.  Rather than being an all-out concert, this has been a tour where it's a bit like having them jamming in your living room (not that my living room looks anything like a stage) with just acoustic instruments and Gerry shaking whatever he can find. 
Suzanne

« Reply #115 on: November 23, 2005, 10:32:09 PM »

Some pictures from last night now on my Talkawhile gallery. 
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2005, 08:10:29 AM »

Superb piccies Suzanne.. thanks for letting us see them Grin

AmyJen

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2005, 11:54:01 AM »

Some pictures from last night now on my Talkawhile gallery. 
Nice one Suzanne, thanks for sharing  Grin

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2005, 08:12:45 PM »

I think Sian & Suzanne summed up Newbery - there's not a lot to add - excpt for a few photos once I get them off the camera....

The only thing I will comment on is that, in an attempt to leave a "space" for Peggy, Chris has been sitting away from the rest of the band - there seems to be too much of a gap between him and Gerry.

Not so much as leaving 'room' for Peggy I think, as distancing himself from Gerry's kit. Most of Gerry's percussiony bits are to Gerry's left, Chris's right, and seem to upset his concentration / hearing.

Suzanne

« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2005, 10:21:15 PM »

Thanks Chris - I hadn't thought of that.  Makes sense to me. 
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: