TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 05:14:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gower Festival 2005 - Saturday night review  (Read 5315 times)
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« on: June 12, 2005, 10:46:26 AM »

The Gower Festival plays its 12th annual outing this year.  This was my first visit.  The venue is an old watermill which has been converted into a tourist attraction.  The playing area is a courtyard with a temporary marquee type structure to keep out the worst of the weather. Happily, yesterday was a fine day. The atmosphere is cosy, friendly and welcoming. Food and real ale in plentiful supply. Afro

Completely blown away last night by the talent of Edward Jay & Oliver Wilson Dickson performing (at very short notice) at the Gower Festival.

"Combining the talents of Edward Jay on accordion and Oliver Wilson-Dickson on fiddle,
Newfolks are the high-energy folk duo currently making waves in the UK music scene.;
Having grown up in South Wales,
their playing is routed in the Celtic tradition,
though they have gone on to embrace a diverse range of styles.
Expect to hear everything from high-energy reels to delicate airs,
from sizzling Gypsy serenades to original material."  (www.Newfolks.net)

The received a standing ovation.  Roll Eyes    If you get the chance, go and see them Grin

Steve Tilston was well received performing  a solid set sprinkled with old favourites such as "Anthony Believes", "Here Comes the Night" and "Willow Creek". The audience were encouraged to join in with the choruses - and they duly obliged.

Spiers and Boden brought up the rear, with a fine set which saw couples waltzing in the aisles (yes, really!).  The faster numbers saw the audience stamping their feet and clapping in time to the music.

All three sets were interspersed with much humour and banter. In short a grand time was (I suspect) had by all!      Grin Roll Eyes Grin

Gower Flower

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2005, 03:15:32 PM »

The Gower Festival plays its 12th annual outing this year.  This was my first visit.  The venue is an old watermill which has been converted into a tourist attraction.  The playing area is a courtyard with a temporary marquee type structure to keep out the worst of the weather. Happily, yesterday was a fine day. The atmosphere is cosy, friendly and welcoming. Food and real ale in plentiful supply. Afro

Completely blown away last night by the talent of Edward Jay & Oliver Wilson Dickson performing (at very short notice) at the Gower Festival.

"Combining the talents of Edward Jay on accordion and Oliver Wilson-Dickson on fiddle,
Newfolks are the high-energy folk duo currently making waves in the UK music scene.;
Having grown up in South Wales,
their playing is routed in the Celtic tradition,
though they have gone on to embrace a diverse range of styles.
Expect to hear everything from high-energy reels to delicate airs,
from sizzling Gypsy serenades to original material."  (www.Newfolks.net)

The received a standing ovation.  Roll Eyes    If you get the chance, go and see them Grin

Steve Tilston was well received performing  a solid set sprinkled with old favourites such as "Anthony Believes", "Here Comes the Night" and "Willow Creek". The audience were encouraged to join in with the choruses - and they duly obliged.

Spiers and Boden brought up the rear, with a fine set which saw couples waltzing in the aisles (yes, really!).  The faster numbers saw the audience stamping their feet and clapping in time to the music.

All three sets were interspersed with much humour and banter. In short a grand time was (I suspect) had by all!      Grin Roll Eyes Grin

Gower Flower

Glad you had such a good time Gower Flower...

I guess Edward Jay and Oliver Wilson-Dickson were the replacement for The Old Rope String Band  Cry

Amy

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: