TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 07:56:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liege & Lief to be released in new SHM-SACD format by Universal Japan  (Read 32099 times)
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2010, 05:37:55 PM »

Are the outer rims of these cds painted green?
Ah yes, I remember that one!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Linkster
Defending World Champion

Loc: Providence, Rhode Island, USA

I'm a llama!

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2010, 05:58:58 PM »

Early digital was a big step back in terms of sonic quality when compared to analog mastered vinyl.  CD 's were an improvement only in terms of convienence.  CD's sound vastly better today and the gap has narrowed significantly.  Don't go down that road comparing specifications such as dynamic range, the difference between redbook and DSD (SACD) is a wide chasm IMO.  Physical media as a deliverable is dying and high resolution downloads are the future among the audiophile community.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2010, 06:44:39 PM »

Physical media as a deliverable is dying and high resolution downloads are the future among the audiophile community.

Which takes us neatly back to

They are single-layer, stereo-only SACDs pressed on special SHM discs utilizing high-quality polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD panels for the ultimate audiophile experience.

Wink

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Tony F

Loc: Portland, OR USA

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »

Quote from: YaBB Master (Colin)

And what is your answer to the blatant codswallop about "...pressed on special SHM discs utilizing high-quality polycarbonate material originally developed for LCD panels for the ultimate audiophile experience".

I've gotta second the phrase praise for "blatant codswallop"! Grin

Instant classic.
Linkster
Defending World Champion

Loc: Providence, Rhode Island, USA

I'm a llama!

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »

Although this release falls into the heading of physical media, it is not PCM digital but direct stream digital (i.e., SACD) and clearly falls into the category of high resolution.  DSD is not available as a downloadable format.  As a point of fact this relrease is unique in that it the only high res format available in physical media with the exception of blue ray audio-only which is a nacent format.
James SftBH
Tertiary Donna
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Posh North Essex

Freedom is not just a word; it is an activity.

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2010, 08:05:25 PM »

**** me, I listen to music, not run it through a spectrum analyser. If I wanted it to sound perfect I'd have to kill all other living things within 5 miles of my house so they couldn't make a noise, shoot down any planes daft enough to join the stack for Stansted and find some way of neutralising wind noise (probably cutting all the trees down would help). And then not breathe at all for the duration of each song. And stop my heart beating.

All of which would rather defeat the object.

Always trust your cape.
www.songsfromthebluehouse.com
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2010, 08:28:14 PM »

**** me, I listen to music, not run it through a spectrum analyser. If I wanted it to sound perfect I'd have to kill all other living things within 5 miles of my house so they couldn't make a noise, shoot down any planes daft enough to join the stack for Stansted and find some way of neutralising wind noise (probably cutting all the trees down would help). And then not breathe at all for the duration of each song. And stop my heart beating.

at least 50% of my listening is in the car with me singing along much to the irritation of any passengers. so non physical methods of delivery will have to fight with the 2 litre diesel engine, the road noise and sundry interruptions from the world outside

The Dude abides
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2010, 09:08:24 PM »

Although this release falls into the heading of physical media, it is not PCM digital but direct stream digital (i.e., SACD) and clearly falls into the category of high resolution.  DSD is not available as a downloadable format.  As a point of fact this relrease is unique in that it the only high res format available in physical media with the exception of blue ray audio-only which is a nacent format.

I would reckon that anybody who would be listening with ears that fearsome would not be listening to the music at all, but more likely be concentrating on trying to hear noises in the silence behind the music... Undecided

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2010, 09:38:01 PM »

I would reckon that anybody who would be listening with ears that fearsome would not be listening to the music at all, but more likely be concentrating on trying to hear noises in the silence behind the music... Undecided

That's very deep for a thursday evening, Jude!  Wink

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2010, 09:42:09 PM »

That's very deep for a thursday evening, Jude!  Wink

I know. I frighten myself sometimes.... Grin

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
koho (Koen)
Can be! Not will be!

Loc: Zaandam, The Netherlands

« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 09:51:16 PM »

So what kind of mindblowing expanded extraextraextra-audiophile release will Liege & Lief have next year?
No, thank you. I'm not falling for this **** any more ...
Big Dave
Virtual Giant
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hadfield (in the glorious High Peak of Derbyshire)

Stand us a pint guv!

« Reply #51 on: October 08, 2010, 12:47:00 AM »

I do not understand what all this is about.  Liege and Lief is what it is and of its time.  The quality of the muscianship and the songs cannot be improved upon by fiddling about with all this.  Leave it as it is!  Angry

Live life, live love, Live for FAIRPORT!!!!!!
Dave Brzeski
I'm seeing an alternate universe

Loc: Peterborough

IM me here before requesting ICQ/Yahoo/MSN

« Reply #52 on: October 08, 2010, 01:59:41 AM »

For anyone to be able to take any serious advantage of this stuff, they would need to firstly concentrate on the most vital & expensive bit of hifi equipment.... the room they are listening in.

I live in a small house, which is incredibly cluttered. The living room is also quite small. My speakers, while as good as I'm likely to get for smallish ones (Mordaunt-short if you're interested) are not on nice expensive stands. They are on furniture on the left & a heap of boxes on the right & are too close to the corners for best sound. The room is full of books, CDs, pressed glass candlesticks & other stuff that Jilly collects & on top of that, it has an open plan staircase against the back wall.

When I listen to CDs, I either play them on the DVD player, or on the computer, both of which are fed through the hifi. I do not have surround sound. No room for it. Stereo will do.
Most of the time I listen to mp3s, as it's a heck of a lot easier to find stuff on the computer than amongst the boxes & boxes of CDs, which have the right-hand speaker stood on top of them anyway.

Buying this new format would be a much cheaper option that fixing all of the above, but then it wouldn't actually sound any better would it? LOL
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #53 on: October 08, 2010, 07:53:21 AM »

I do not understand what all this is about.  Liege and Lief is what it is and of its time.  The quality of the muscianship and the songs cannot be improved upon by fiddling about with all this.  Leave it as it is!  Angry

I'm tempted to say "Right On" Big Dave. What you say make such common sense.

But there again, I'm one of those daft bu**ers who splashed loads of dosh on Beatles Vinyl, then tape, then CD and then Remastered...

For the record (no pun intended) I listen to most stuff on Mp3 via the computer. Except the Remastered of course, 'cos there would have been no point splashing the cash in the first place...

Out of interest, is there anywhere where one can listen to a sample of this SHM-SACD format, or would there be no point 'cos my speakers are different to yours... ?

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #54 on: October 08, 2010, 08:30:35 AM »

Don't go down that road comparing specifications such as dynamic range, the difference between redbook and DSD (SACD) is a wide chasm IMO.

Yes there is a wide chasm between the specifications, but CDs already exceed the theoretical limitations of recording by a huge margin (especially 1970s recording).

My contention is that the difference in specification between a CD and SACD will achieve nothing. The difference is that the SACD will have been mastered to sound best in an ideal listening environment, whereas the CD mastering will be a compromise.

I'm wondering if they put the same data on both layers of an SACD and then could you tell the difference when played on a CD or SACD player.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 08:48:44 AM »

smoke and mirrors, smoke and mirrors
and people with too much money

The Dude abides
David (terrrrrrrr)
I'm all out for the cidre...
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Deux Sevres, France

C'est moi... (and my wife)

« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 09:06:53 AM »

With added clicks and pops???...      Undecided

Time it was, and what a time it was
A time of innocence, A time of confidences
Long ago, it must be, I have a photograph
Preserve your memories; They're all that's left you.
YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 09:14:46 AM »

Jim you're a cynical bastard.

I've just replaced my speaker cables with ones made of oxide free, silver plated, unobtainium and bound in unicorn hair. I'm seeing a 61% improvement in my 'sonic quality'.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Rory.
onions aren't meant to be grated
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Brighton

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 09:47:32 AM »

Jim you're a cynical bastard.

I've just replaced my speaker cables with ones made of oxide free, silver plated, unobtainium and bound in unicorn hair. I'm seeing a 61% improvement in my 'sonic quality'.

I'm waiting for the mkII's coming out in the new year.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 11:49:59 AM »

at least 50% of my listening is in the car with me singing along much to the irritation of any passengers. so non physical methods of delivery will have to fight with the 2 litre diesel engine, the road noise and sundry interruptions from the world outside

Which is exactly why it would amuse me to have DM's current thundrous drum sound on a version of Liege & Lief Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: