TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:32:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 147974 times)
Greg E

« Reply #180 on: November 22, 2011, 01:06:20 PM »

Loving the potential of this new Albion band. Have to agree with the poster above who said its the sort of music that got him into Folk Rock in the 1st place.
Loving the new sound.
Whilst not perfect vocally I think you can get away with it in this style of music. Edgy is good and imperfection is great!
'Clean', 'polished' sounding bands are killing the Folk/Rock genre. This just might help turn the tide.

And all the better if froots hates it. Smiley
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2011, 02:20:42 AM »

Seems the new album will be called "Vice Of The People" - and here's some pics of the current recording:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.226269390777202.51925.178617832209025&type=1

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
red max

« Reply #182 on: December 13, 2011, 04:12:03 PM »

I've only just come across this thread, but I read every page from the beginning. To me this is a fascinating topic, as we're living in a time when a lot of famous bands are running short on established members. There are two versions of Wishbone Ash on the go, and while one is at pains to declare itself 'official', each band has only one original band member working with a few hired guns. No doubt there are many other examples of this. A band name is also a brand name, and sometimes 'official' just means one musician owns the business rights. There's a bit more to a band's identity than that, as several people have already commented.

I suppose what makes The Albion Band an interesting example – even before you deal with the present line-up – is the fluidity of the band in the past. The only consistent presence was Ashley, and to begin with he was a non-singing bassist who composed very little. The character of the band was highly dependent on the musicians he hired, so you got the John Tams period, then Cathy le Surf, etc. Plus there was the fact that the band changed almost beyond recognition between the 70s and the 80s: you had a group heavily influenced by the folk tradition, then a contemporary band trying to carve out a modern sound. Numerous line-up changes followed, and the styles ranged from hard rocking to 'unplugged' acoustic. And frankly, I don't know if the band retained much identity or interest by the time of its demise.

I remember on the official Albion Band website, Ashley announced that the band had split 'due to the decreasing number of gigs available', which was eerily reminiscent of Spinal Tap's appeal 'becoming more selective'. This isn't to say Ashley had suffered a succession of exploding drummers, but does suggest the band weren't exactly setting the world alight. Their farewell slot at Cropredy was halfway through the afternoon, if memory serves. This doesn't suggest there's a blazing baton to pick up, but if Ashley and his son feel it's worthwhile, then that's their prerogative. Ultimately it's the number of (or lack of) punters that'll decide the matter. It's a controversial but intriguing move, quite fitting with the wayward character of The Albion Band.
MikeB (Mike)
never singing Cousin Jack again
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Edinburgh again

The world is not my home, I'm just passing through

« Reply #183 on: December 13, 2011, 04:36:15 PM »

I suppose what makes The Albion Band an interesting example – even before you deal with the present line-up – is the fluidity of the band in the past.

Not to mention the period where there were two Albion Bands in existence, one at the National Theatre being the house band for Lark Rise To Candleford and the concurrent, unrecorded version that Ashley put together to fulfil gig commitments.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #184 on: December 13, 2011, 05:42:10 PM »

They've got their website up & running - with a whole tour organised....looking forward to it.

MarkV
sit on a perch and prepare a roach
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Quality control has failed to sift me out.

« Reply #185 on: December 13, 2011, 05:49:07 PM »

They've got their website up & running - with a whole tour organised....looking forward to it.

hmmm Camberley probably for me Grin

O to 62 in sixtytwo years.  Where does the time go?
ronnie

Loc: Crieff

« Reply #186 on: December 13, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »

Oooh Edinburgh. I'll check my diary

ronnie

now is the happiest time of your life!
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #187 on: December 14, 2011, 01:56:30 AM »

Very good website - and anyone checking it will be well aware of the line-up being Ashley-less, which was part of the concern before.

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #188 on: December 14, 2011, 08:43:37 PM »

Very good website - and anyone checking it will be well aware of the line-up being Ashley-less, which was part of the concern before.

Except imho when it links to the shop and it all gets a bit confusing (for the uninitiated at least) again (and the design scheme reverts to the 'old' website too)...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Martin F

Loc: Bicester

« Reply #189 on: December 14, 2011, 09:20:04 PM »

Except imho when it links to the shop and it all gets a bit confusing (for the uninitiated at least) again (and the design scheme reverts to the 'old' website too)...

That's because it links back to the old website, not a different page on the new site.

Do androids dream of electric sheep?
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:02 PM »

Crikey. Worthing! I wish them luck. I'll try and go so they won't feel too lonely!
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #191 on: December 15, 2011, 02:36:36 PM »

Certainly ambitious for a new band, there are some fairly large venues on that list, one can but wish them luck.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #192 on: December 15, 2011, 07:26:05 PM »

Crikey. Worthing! I wish them luck. I'll try and go so they won't feel too lonely!

Is the Worthing Assembly Hall the venue opposite the Royal Mail building would you know Al?

No Left Turn Unstoned
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #193 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:31 PM »

Is the Worthing Assembly Hall the venue opposite the Royal Mail building would you know Al?

Yes, that's the one. Well, nearly opposite, behind the town hall and the library. Even the Fairports have not been able to fill it for some years. The Albions don't stand a chance. There is just no audience in Worthing. It could be embarrassing.

I saw Nils Lofgren there some years back in a half empty hall and Ian Hunter & Mick Ronson in front of three men and a dog. Things haven't improved since then.
Henry Tompkins (Pete)
Guaranteed trouble
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: S.W. London

One man gathers what another man spills

« Reply #194 on: December 16, 2011, 06:30:27 PM »

Sounds ominous then.   Undecided

No Left Turn Unstoned
Mr Cat (Lewis)
Probably bad form to quote yourself
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Vancouver, BC Canada

« Reply #195 on: December 16, 2011, 06:32:55 PM »

Seems strange that the new AB should choose such large venues when the reason for Ashley knocking the band on the head in the first place was lack of economically viable gigs..Unless the new AB are supporting a more bankable act..

Thank Drunk I'm God
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #196 on: December 16, 2011, 06:34:47 PM »

Unless the new AB are supporting a more bankable act..

I did wonder that.  I can't see any other possibility.  Colston Hall with 100 people in it would be an interesting experience....

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #197 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:20 AM »

I guess it's not the main hall at the Colston - there's a smaller room at the venue (can't remember the name at the mo')

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #198 on: December 19, 2011, 09:40:21 AM »

"Hall 2"? Grin

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Andy Tuck
A creme egg moment
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Leicester

Dolphins are Evil They Eat Kittens...

« Reply #199 on: December 19, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »

I know when I tried to book them they were looking at venues in the 400-600 range.

Still listening to the telepathic pirate radio show from the flying teapot.....
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: