TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 08:26:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fairport in Ely, 26th of May  (Read 11751 times)
Jan_
A jig, a melodeon and a smile
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2008, 10:44:07 AM »

How can two gigs on the same tour seem so very different?  Every note played and every word sung were the same, apart from the addition of another song towards the end, and yet there was no comparison between last night's gig at Ely and the one I attended earlier in the tour.

In contrast to the weather outside, the atmosphere was warm and friendly and there was much interplay between band and audience. Two small girls were invited to sit at the front where they would have a better view and when Chris began his introduction to John Gaudie, Simon nodded in the direction of the girls and Chris stopped short of what was presumably going to be a graphic and gory account of the tale and then instead dedicated it to the girls, who were both fiddle players.

I enjoyed all the songs and tunes – even the one I don't like – but highlights for me were Hiring Fair and Lancashire Hills. Hiring Fair received what I think was the loudest applause of the evening and Simon looked both relieved and exhausted at the end of Lancashire Hills.

It was nice to meet Ollie again and to hear him thanked by the band for his part in arranging this gig.  We nearly didn't go but I'm so glad we did.

P.S.  I laugh because Ric is still using that joke!
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2008, 11:03:38 AM »

That was possibly one of, if not THE best FC gigs I've been to. The onstage banter was great and the whole gig had a very intimate feel to it. As Katy's Mum said, it was a warm, friendly place. Simon even said it was the friendliest venue on the tour so far (and the best food!). I think the band really did enjoy themselves. The set list was as earlier, with the omission of The Rose Hip. The sound was a bit dodgy in places, but the new sound guy has got to get used to the band I suppose. Hiring Fair and Cell Song were incredible - you couldn't hear a pin drop. I think several people had to wipe a tear away at the end of Cell Song (including some people on the stage). Also, it was great to hear Portmeirion, the song that got me into Fairport, especially as my teacher who played it to me was there! We told Ric afterwards, and he seemed genuinly pleased that we'd told him. (I also asked him about the RULTS re-union. He said it looks unlikely, as some aren't available, but he'd really really love to do it live again).

And I got a mention from the stage  Embarrassed Really, it was only an e-mail.... ok, several e-mails  Roll Eyes But I think well worth it. Fantastic gig and we have managed to convert my Dad's friend. Well, I guess he liked it, as he came home withe a signed copy of SoO and the latest DVD! Really can't wait for Cropredy now.    Grin      

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Mag T

Loc: Kent

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2008, 12:30:23 PM »

Extremely pleasant evening last night at Haddenham village hall.  Yes, maybe the same (or similar) old jokes scattered here and there, but.....who cares?.....the music was fab.
Anne Dunn
Gr...Annie
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Royston

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »

Oh dear, don't take me seriously, that was in no way meant as a criticism, it just amused me.    Roll Eyes

Learn From the Past, Live in the Present, Create the Future
Goaty
Ewen the Navigator
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Son of a Nun

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2008, 03:51:48 PM »

Exit sign jokes are on the way out aren't they Huh

Anyone care to share the joke ?

I could be the catalyst that sparks the revolution, I could be an inmate in a long-term institution ...
Ollie
Always one there is.
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Sheffield

I Morris, therefore I am

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 11:56:28 AM »

Here's some piccies from a Longdog who was there -  http://www.longdogs.co.uk/gallery/v/Paul+Rule/fc_ark_2008/

"Tradition must be respected, convention can be broken; but only when you know which is which."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: