TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 20, 2024, 10:52:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2012  (Read 281265 times)
johnnysaint (John)

Loc: Prescot, Merseyside

« Reply #480 on: February 04, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »

So, with Huw Williams and Maartin Allcock touring together, do you think there's any chance we might see them this year?

Yes please Cheesy

Slavery still exists. Visit http://www.antislavery.org today and find out more.
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #481 on: February 04, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »

I think it'll be Plainsong personally. They've just announced farewell dates & this would be their swansong appearance

Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #482 on: February 04, 2012, 02:42:50 PM »

So, with Huw Williams and Maartin Allcock touring together, do you think there's any chance we might see them this year?

Now that would be good!

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #483 on: February 04, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »

From Facebook:

They really cheered us up in a very wet 2008. The wonderful Legend return to Cropredy on Thurs 8 August.
 Smiley

They're good, but I'm a teeny bit disappointed with this...was hoping against hope for either a) Steel Pulse or b) the return of the mighty Dreadzone in the 'reggae/dub' slot....  I suppose we still might get something on the Sat?  Fingers crossed.

I will stop saying',we're going anyway' but  a covers band i have seen before. Yes they're more than competent but i was expecting some originality for the 45th.
There are v good 'original' reggae ska bands about. I give you Leicesters own Kingsize and El Pussycat Ska.

However,really looking forward to Tarras. Love this band
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:33:54 PM by hendo (Dave) » Logged
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #484 on: February 04, 2012, 04:39:30 PM »

Have you contacted the Brasenose to make your point? Don't know them, but I'm sure they'd welcome the feedback.
Considered and done Andy!

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #485 on: February 04, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »

I think it'll be the current incarnation of Matthews' Southern Comfort.

Whatever, it'll be great to see Iain back on the stage.

I spoke to Iain last week and he will be at Cropredy, probably as a duo with Egbert Derix. They have a new album coming out soon on Verve and Iain is really excited about it.

Loving it
Ian W.
Not in my size, sweetcheeks

Loc: Leeds, West Yorks.

« Reply #486 on: February 04, 2012, 10:04:31 PM »

The Brase really needs to sort its facilities out (2 ladies loos is not enough) .

There have been portaloos up by the stage, on the right as you look at it, for the last couple of years if that helps.  Smiley

'Those who dance will start to dance,
And those who drink will sway...'
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

Loc: Stoke-on-Trent

No longer a virgin

« Reply #487 on: February 05, 2012, 12:27:21 AM »

Definitely not impressed with a Bob Marley tribute band  Sad
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #488 on: February 05, 2012, 12:38:33 AM »

They were very good last time.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

No longer a virgin

« Reply #489 on: February 05, 2012, 01:00:25 AM »

Don't get me wrong - I love Bob Marley and i'm happy to watch tribute bands. I just wasn't expecting a tribute band to play Cropredy
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #490 on: February 05, 2012, 01:18:21 AM »

I wasn't expecting to be all that impressed by Legend last time, not particularly being a reggae fan, but they brought lots of virtual Jamaican sunshine to a rather damp Oxfordshire field and had people dancing away.  Roll Eyes One of my favourite memories of Cropredy that year.  Afro

Not sure if my memory serves me well - someone will certainly correct me if necessary - but there was a screen at the back of the stage and the cameraman picked up an image of a Rastafarian guy down close to the stage, grooving away. Loud cheers ensued from the crowd, cos you tend not to see that many Rastafarians at Cropredy.... Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #491 on: February 05, 2012, 09:11:18 AM »

Don't get me wrong - I love Bob Marley and i'm happy to watch tribute bands. I just wasn't expecting a tribute band to play Cropredy

I know where you are coming from Ian, i generally feel the same. I don't really want to see Legend again but it sThurs, if its sunny they 'll have people bouncing at it'll be a good start to the fest
We have a fest in leics called Glastonbudget which is all tribute bands, you go knowing what you are getting. Some are vv good.
However i am being a little hypocritical cos i loved Shameless Quo at Cropredy to the extent that i booked them for a fest. There are people on this site who loved the Muffin Men. Are the Dylan Project a tribute band?. etc
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #492 on: February 05, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »

Cropredy has a long history of featuring tribute bands going all the way back to the Bootleg Beatles quite early on in its history. Then in addition to those already mentioned, there was also Blue Tapestry, one of my favourite Cropredy performances ever.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #493 on: February 05, 2012, 10:26:49 AM »

I wasn't expecting to be all that impressed by Legend last time, not particularly being a reggae fan, but they brought lots of virtual Jamaican sunshine to a rather damp Oxfordshire field and had people dancing away.  Roll Eyes One of my favourite memories of Cropredy that year.  Afro

Not sure if my memory serves me well - someone will certainly correct me if necessary - but there was a screen at the back of the stage and the cameraman picked up an image of a Rastafarian guy down close to the stage, grooving away. Loud cheers ensued from the crowd, cos you tend not to see that many Rastafarians at Cropredy.... Grin

His name was Sean and he was from Cork - A Rastafaririshman..................

I'm a big reggae fan - proper reggae mind, and Marley is too mainatream for me - but I thoroughly enjoyed Legend. They brought the right vibe at the right time on a wet day. Look forward to seeing them again.

So I and I say "Jah, begorrah.........."

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #494 on: February 05, 2012, 10:34:41 AM »

Marley is too mainatream for me

Interesting comment because of course Marley was not mainstream at all when he first arrived on these shores. He was a hard sell and people really didn't get his music at all. It was only through his own persistence and that of Chris Blackwell that he effectively invented the mainstream for reggae that enabled the likes of Steel Pulse, Black Uhuru, Third World and more to find a wider audience for their music.
greglin (Gregg)
Waving my cheery plumber off
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Carrickfergus N. Ireland

Slainthe chugat

« Reply #495 on: February 05, 2012, 10:59:53 AM »

Stand corrected - I do of course refer to the later sanitised Marley..............Catch a Fire still brilliant after repeated listens.

Me dreadlocks will be dyed a wonderful green for August in any event.......................

I caught a falling star, it cut my hands to pieces.
Collstoke (Ian)
I'm immortalised in 3D

No longer a virgin

« Reply #496 on: February 05, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »

Cropredy has a long history of featuring tribute bands going all the way back to the Bootleg Beatles quite early on in its history. Then in addition to those already mentioned, there was also Blue Tapestry, one of my favourite Cropredy performances ever.

Fairy nuff. I didn't realise tribute bands had played before.
And The Dylan Project aren't yer usual tribute band because they've got mucicians who have made their names in the past
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #497 on: February 05, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

Blue Tapestry - now you're talking, long overdue a return (but I say this every year  Cheesy )
quodlibet (Ian)
Squeeze it, Eliseao
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Hereford. UK

In nīz bogzarad

« Reply #498 on: February 05, 2012, 11:30:05 AM »

Stand corrected - I do of course refer to the later sanitised Marley..............Catch a Fire still brilliant after repeated listens.

Although, "Catch a Fire", as we originally heard it, was heavily "Anglicised" by Blackwell in London  before release. The original Jamaican mixes were only released much, much later.
(apologies for topic drift)

A Brittunculus is not such a bad thing to be.
hendo (Dave)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #499 on: February 05, 2012, 11:38:19 AM »

Al, completely accept the Blue/Tapestry point , great musicians doing great songs but i remember watching and being saddened that Chris and Julie had had to cover someone elses material to get a tour audience when their own material is so strong. I completely accept that Chris and Julie said they wanted to play these songs but the cynic in me says it gave them a lucrative tour cos people know the songs of King and Mitchell whilst not exploring Chris and Julies own stuff. Of course it may have introduced 'new' people to them.
 I suppose i just like 'discovering' new stuff but maybe Cropredy isn't the fest for that.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 29   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: