TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
June 03, 2024, 12:53:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Albion Band Lives yet again!  (Read 149212 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2012, 12:23:04 PM »

It's good to see there's no confusion regarding the line up of this Albion Band....

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/artist/4218/The_Albion_Band.html

I've suggested this be fixed, and it has been....

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2012, 03:09:03 PM »

It's good to see there's no confusion regarding the line up of this Albion Band....

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/artist/4218/The_Albion_Band.html

I've suggested this be fixed, and it has been....

It has? I'm seeing
"
The Albion Band at Blackfriars Theatre and Arts Centre on Sunday 4th Mar 2012
Blackfriars Theatre and Arts Centre
The Albion Band
Folk
Influential English electric folk band formed by Ashley Hutchings in 1971 whose members past-and-present read like the great-and-the-good of the folk world, including: Phil Beer, Martin Carthy, John Kirkpatrick, Julie Matthews, Maddy Prior, Martin Simpson, Linda Thompson, Richard Thompson, Chris While, Kellie While, Pete Zorn and many more.
Releases include "Lark Rise to Candleford", "Rise Up Like The Sun" and "Shuffle Off".
Influenced
The Owl Service
Related
Martin Carthy Richard Thompson Ashley Hutchings Chris While and Julie Matthews John Kirkpatrick Linda Thompson Maddy Prior Martin Simpson Home Service Julie Matthews Ken Nicol Phil Beer Barry Coope Joe Broughton John Tams Kellie While "

Which Albion Band is playing there then?

I'm genuinely confused.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2012, 03:33:33 PM »

It is right, technically, covered by "and many more" in the past-and-present.

THose named are past, "and many more" are present :-)

Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

Not wishing to stir it all up again, this was always likely to happen with use of the name which can only have been done to use 40 years worth of publicity. There will be people out there I'm sure who won't be on forums like this and won't bother to research (why should they) and may well expect a line up featuring Ashley and friends.The New Albion Band would have been better IMHO.

Musically, it sounds pretty good and my issue is not with the musicians involved at all btw.

Loving it
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2012, 06:32:32 PM »

I'm not the least bit confused - it's perfectly straightforward to me Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
cloverandzebra.(Giles)

« Reply #225 on: February 07, 2012, 08:31:46 PM »

This new Album - Absolutely Amazing !
I picked up a copy yesterday - played it in the car again today - it Rocks!
Those who go to Cheltenham this weekend are in for a great night.
The strongest Albion Recording for a very long time . Great Guitar and Fiddle and a Huge drum sound .
Great Harmonies and a Big Production- Yet still that Albion heart.They had a History to live up to -and have succeeded beyond expectation.This is the new generation -recharged -Albion band- long may it Rock.
Hats off to all involved.
Simon Care - yes! Awesome about hits the mark.
Now when are these tour dates for March      

PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #226 on: February 08, 2012, 08:33:53 AM »

Tour dates are on the band's website...

Flobbadob!
Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #227 on: February 08, 2012, 09:32:36 AM »

This new Album - Absolutely Amazing !
I picked up a copy yesterday - played it in the car again today - it Rocks!
Those who go to Cheltenham this weekend are in for a great night.
The strongest Albion Recording for a very long time . Great Guitar and Fiddle and a Huge drum sound .
Great Harmonies and a Big Production- Yet still that Albion heart.They had a History to live up to -and have succeeded beyond expectation.This is the new generation -recharged -Albion band- long may it Rock.
Hats off to all involved.
Simon Care - yes! Awesome about hits the mark.
Now when are these tour dates for March      

Where did you get the album from? I didn't know it had been released yet. Have only heard One More Day.

Loving it
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #228 on: February 08, 2012, 09:34:14 AM »

I was wondering that, after I'd posted... it's not listed on Amazon, or on the band's webshop...

Flobbadob!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #229 on: February 08, 2012, 10:06:24 AM »

Must be a review copy.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
cloverandzebra.(Giles)

« Reply #230 on: February 08, 2012, 01:57:11 PM »

I got my copy from Katriona Gilmore.The individual members are selling them at their own shows.
I believe Gavin has a few dates and probably the others as well.It will certainly be at Cheltenham for those who cannot wait .

Miguel Cajon (Mick)
having Nuts educating me
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #231 on: February 08, 2012, 02:37:15 PM »

Thanks Giles.

Loving it
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #232 on: February 08, 2012, 03:50:53 PM »

Yes, thanks Giles - it's my wife's birthday bash (in Cheltenham!) on Saturday, so I can't get to the AB gig; but I might try to pop over to the venue earlier in the day to see if I can find a copy.  Smiley

Flobbadob!
fstix (Michael)

Loc: Adelaide, Australia

« Reply #233 on: February 13, 2012, 05:36:49 PM »

A positive review here: http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/2187

"An impressive debut from a band that has been around for over forty years."

More like I am today than I ever have been before.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #234 on: February 13, 2012, 05:43:29 PM »

A positive review here: http://www.allanwilkinson.co.uk/node/2187

"An impressive debut from a band that has been around for over forty years."

Excellent review.  Really looking forward to the album.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
paulp
n3wb

« Reply #235 on: February 16, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »

As a newbie I'm still catching up here, but I haven't seen anything from people who were in Cheltenham on Saturday night so you might like to know how it went. Bear in mind that I'm a 60-something who came into folk rock early and these day's I'm folky rather than rocky.

Well, quite a few people left early (shades of Dylan!) One told me it was she couldn't hear anything above the drums, which may be what you expect with an enthusiastic drummer in Cheltenham Town Hall. Tom Wright was certainly much more prominent than on the CD, but either the sound balance changed or I was able to screen him out a bit, because it didn't worry me after the first few minutes. By then we'd already been warmed up with a slightly nervous "Quarter Hour of Fame" and a fine "Roll Over Vaughan Williams" that set the tone for the evening: interesting new stuff and an intelligent choice from the edgier end of the back catalogue. (The defining moment of the evening for me was quite late on, when Kat Gilmore first referred to it as our back catalogue, well done Kat). Best of the new stuff was Thieves' Song and Babylon, played as a pair, protest songs that made their point well. Low point was the joshing over it being Blair's 20th birthday, but then they are young and showed it, while I am old and felt it!

My overall impression was that there is something a bit unformed here, but the musical foundation is strong and there could be something really outstanding on the way when they get over the novelty of being, as it were, the Chosen Ones. The lead seemed to be coming from Kat and Gavin Davenport, with Ben Trott doing some very good stuff in the background. There still seems to be some confusion about who's actually playing the bass, as Tim Yates and Blair shared the role - and neither of them sounded in Ashley's league to me, but that may be a bit harsh.

For completists, the line-up turned up again on Sunday during Gavin's acoustic "an hour or so ... and friends" set in the Playhouse; acoustic, so they all brought guitars and realised that nobody had an acoustic bass ... so Blair cheerfully sang (bom-bommed) the bass line and it all went fine. A committed, happy and excited bunch of people from whom we can reasonably expect great things in the future.

Shelley
satisfactory with some very good aspects
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Manchester

Give me some dots to follow and I'll be fine!

« Reply #236 on: February 16, 2012, 01:04:13 PM »

I really enjoyed their debut at Cheltenham on Saturday too, and Blair's vocal bass on Sunday was brilliant.  I was stewarding on one of the doors on Saturday night, and noticed people leaving early, but the gig did finish at 11.30 which may have been a factor.  We noticed that the band didn't seem to be taking themselves too seriously and were having a lot of fun - long may that continue!

16 Apr - Todmorden Folk Festival; 18 May - Midway Folk Club, Stockport; 30 Apr - Tideswell Food Festival; 5 June - Manchester Histories Festival; 3 July - West Wycombe Park
timkins
n3wb

« Reply #237 on: February 16, 2012, 03:05:37 PM »

The new album is now available from http://www.thealbionband.com/shop. Hope y'all like it.
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2012, 01:22:50 PM »

I have just been looking at the ticket sales for the Worthing Assembly Hall gig on 9 March (just two weeks away). By my count they have sold about 34 tickets for a 500 (approx) seat venue.

I am planning to go but this is exactly what I feared. It is always excruciating when the audience only just outnumbers the band, especially in a big room.
StephenGiles
much grovelling in the attic

« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2012, 06:56:52 PM »

I have just been looking at the ticket sales for the Worthing Assembly Hall gig on 9 March (just two weeks away). By my count they have sold about 34 tickets for a 500 (approx) seat venue.

I am planning to go but this is exactly what I feared. It is always excruciating when the audience only just outnumbers the band, especially in a big room.

Just go and enjoy the music, we certainly will in Croydon.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: