TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 03:49:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Festival Folk - A New Book by a Board Member  (Read 65485 times)
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Oxfordshire

Errrr....where's me beer?

« on: January 19, 2005, 11:46:50 AM »

http://www.festivalfolk.co.uk/

Feel like telling us more, Joss?

Joss

Loc: Castle Cary, Somerset

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 08:52:27 PM »

Hi Chris & everybody - thanks for raising this, still working my way through a long list!

Please look at my website promoting the book at www.festivalfolk.co.uk for full details, postal ordering and on-line ordering.

The book is 'Festival Folk - a celebration of the unique style of Fairport Convention's Cropredy Festival'. 112 pages containing approx 270 photographs of festivalgoers and performers in all their colourful finery and believe me, there's some fine looking people out there! The photos were taken over the last 10 years.

It's at the printers now and due to me by the end of next week. Apart from fulfilling postal orders, it's first public appearance will be at Tewkesbury on 2nd Feb, although I hope to drop off copies at Cropredy (Bridge Store & Green Scene) on the way over.

It also contains an entertaining 3 page essay by Catherine Hayward, fashion director of Esquire magazine, an erudite foreword by Simon Nicol, and some beautiful celtic artwork by artist Donna Westley.

Finally, profits from the sale will be donated to the Teenage Cancer Trust which is the trust supported previously by the folk fraternity through the Hearts of England cds.

Hope you all buy it and enjoy it!!
regards
Joss
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 11:51:45 PM »

Looks Good Joss. Had problems trying to order it tonight but that was probably down to me and not entering the right addresses or whatever. Have just moved house and haven't caught up with all the change of address details yet.

Anyway. Will sort that tomorrow and get it oredered.

thanks

MikeC 

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
folkicons

Solderer of Fortune

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2005, 08:28:11 AM »

Excellent work Joss. Looking forward to seeing the copies at The Green Scene. I hope you sell shed loads.
Steve (Heart of England)

"The bride wore Black & Decker"
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 12:43:31 PM »

Looks wonderful... it'll be on my (Feb) birthday desires list... I'll catch it on the wintour.

Amy Smiley

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Mike

Loc: North Notts

There's FA on in Farnsfield

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 12:45:34 PM »

Looks wonderful Joss. I'll be getting one in Chesterfield. Well done, great cause.
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2005, 01:16:58 PM »

I ordered one today....

looks fascinating

Jude

See what your words did to me

my newly refurbished website www.judydyble.com
and my new shop http://judydyble.bigcartel.com/
Joss

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2005, 07:06:28 PM »

Many thanks for your orders and expressions of interest. I think you'll find the book different & fun !!  As you are probably aware, 99.9% of music publishing concentrates on the musicians.  I decided to turn my attention & camera to the audience because, lets face it, there's some fantastic looking people/outfits at Cropredy.

As far as I'm aware, there is very little else published in the way of 'music people pictures' - the only two related books I have are Jeremy Sandford & Ron Reid's TOMORROWS PEOPLE published in 1974, and Lynne Elstob & Anne Howes THE GLASTONBURY FESTIVALS published in 1987.  Other books major on the artists.  Does anyone know of any other British festival, or audience orientated books of photographs?

Having said that, I have included pictures of artists too, and Jude (nice to hear from you), there's a lovely one of you, even if I say so myself. I hope you like it too.

Regards
Joss
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 07:12:09 PM »

Having said that, I have included pictures of artists too, and Jude (nice to hear from you), there's a lovely one of you, even if I say so myself. I hope you like it too.

Regards
Joss

Oooh!! Can't wait now!!!

Jude  Cool  Shocked (not really shocked but those eyes are amazing!!!)

Joss

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 08:10:15 PM »

[Oooh!! Can't wait now!!!]

Of course, I could always e-mail you a scan, Jude, but that would take away the fun of eager anticipation!!  No, on second thoughts if I start that I don't know where it will end.

Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 10:04:40 PM »

Just a thought (though probably already been asked & answered) but who gives a sh1t cares...

Maybe some copies of the book could be stacked on the CD table at the forthcoming Winter Tour gigs ?

While I am sure FC would like to see maximum 'pocket-money' being spent on tee-shirts & CD's (quite understandably and why not ?).. maybe a little corner can be found for this book for the benefit of the Teenage Cancer Trust ? Roll Eyes

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Joss

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 10:11:14 PM »

http://www.fairportconvention.com/news13.htm

Hi Nuthouse - yes thanks, FC have kindly agreed to sell them on their stall.  I am taking a supply over to Tewkesbury ready for the opening night.
Nuthouse
He wasn't born to follow
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Northampton

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 10:15:54 PM »

Well that's fantastic.......

I am in the process of catching up as I killed my broadband by downloading a recommended upgrade ! - so I perhaps should have read all messages and links before responding... but what the heck !

Once again, FC show where their heart is....... a glass is raised in their direction... and look forward to picking up my copy !

Best wishes.....

What isn't real is genuine illusion....
Joss

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 10:25:31 PM »

Hey - that's no problem, I do the same myself sometimes, much to my embarassment!

Hope you enjoy the book when you see it. I know I can't wait to see the finished product.  It's all very well checking proofs and so on but they're not the real thing.  The book has been printed and folded, but before the Printers bind it on Monday/Tuesday, they are delivering a final set of printed pages to me tomorrow for one final check. 

Regards
Joss
Basinger
n3wb

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio USA

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2005, 05:11:55 PM »

Will the book be available for us fans in the USA?
WestWind

Loc: Brooklyn NY USA

"No music, no life." (Tower Records)

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2005, 05:32:06 PM »

Will the book be available for us fans in the USA?

I just ordered one now from the USA via the PAYPAL link in the "Order Now" selection on the book's website.

Cheers ///  Tom***

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there."   (Yogi Berra)
jude
Officer Dibble to you
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

officially an old bat.

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2005, 06:26:29 PM »

[Oooh!! Can't wait now!!!]

Of course, I could always e-mail you a scan, Jude, but that would take away the fun of eager anticipation!!  No, on second thoughts if I start that I don't know where it will end.

No no I want the excitement of opening the book and looking through it!  Grin

Jude

Joss

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2005, 06:58:54 PM »

Thanks Westwind & Basinger - yes USA orders can be placed through the website using Paypal.  Europe is also catered for on the website.

If there's anyone elsewhere in the world who would like a copy, you can either:  use the US$ Paypal facility (the postage & packing charge is the same for anywhere outside Europe, or please email me first & we'll sort something out. email is: thiswaybooks@btinternet.com

I received from the printers a final set of printed pages today - they look fabulous (well I would say that wouldn't I!!). Binding on Monday, shrink wrapping mid week, delivery to me Friday 28th or Monday 31st.

Cheers
Joss

YaBB Master (Colin)
Unelected and unaccountable
Administrator

Loc: West Sussex

and mastery demands a certain style

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2005, 10:51:01 PM »

And here's the link again www.festivalfolk.co.uk  on this page.

but BEING PAID -- what will compare with it?
Toerag

Loc: The Heaven on Earth that is.....BIRMINGHAM!

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »

Look forward to reading it - the picture on the site of a chap with a spiral of skeletons on his back looks like a friend of mine. The one who named me "Toerag" in fact - I await the photos with anticipation  Cool.

God Save The King - Coz Nobody Else Will!
(The Blackadder)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: