TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:12:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: December Tour 2004 - Reviews  (Read 62338 times)
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2004, 06:18:36 PM »

Dear Flower,
You will not be disappointed!!

And furthermore, David Hughes did say last night that he thought they would now be touring in 2005, which is great news.  ..and he does have his laptop with him so i guess he might just hear us if we shout as politely as we can..

Please will St Agnes Fountain go to Swansea on their next tour!!

well, you can but ask!
Cheers,
Issy  Smiley

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Angela
all that hair bobbing about
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lost in Kent

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2004, 07:35:21 PM »

AND KENT !!
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2004, 10:23:31 PM »

HERE HERE

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
martin driver
I like the cut of his gibberish
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Surbiton

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2004, 11:39:20 PM »

My dear Gower Flower,
It is with confidence I predict, you will be delighted with the Aggies Cd's. you just recently purchased. Money well spent !

The lovely Izzie also confirms what Mr Hughes told me last night.     

Because Chris & Julie are planning a tour with "Daphnes Flight" at some stage next year, it was thought it wouldn't be possible to fit in the St. Agnes tour in 2005.
However, because the tour has become as much of a Christmas tradition as mince pies and watching the "Great Escape" on TV, it is now decided that the Aggies tour will indeed go ahead next year.  Cheesy

martin  Fez
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 11:41:36 PM by martin driver » Logged
Amethyst (Jenny)
Did I just say that, out loud?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Jenny. One breath of the sea..

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2004, 09:33:41 AM »

The Aggies – Lickey

We drove the 100 miles or so last night for the Aggies, taking in a pre-Christmas visit to mum during the day. Paul Edwards of ‘Shining Friends’ had given me full directions and we parked at the appointed place at the correct time.  The path up to the main door of Holy Trinity Church was tree lined and lit with very seasonal candles… the magic had begun Grin!  The church was already almost half full, we found a pew and I set out my cushion, hastily bought in Leamington earlier as I’d forgotten mine.  Pugs is a pirate so he (said he) didn’t need a cushion!  Mince pies and mulled wine were handed out as we sat down and the (cold) church rapidly filled to almost bursting point.

The first 20 minutes gave us Paul Edwards who sang four of his own accomplished songs.  For two of these Chris L played mandolin along with Paul and his partner (John?).  Then the real magic got going…  two sets went by very quickly, the audience (mainly local?) was enthralled, bums became even number, coats remained on.. but the warmth coming off those four could be felt from far back in the building… it was as heart warming as ever Cheesy

I won’t add much more to the comments already made musically, suffice to say they were magnificent, the carols and songs all performed as only The Aggies can.  The monologues brilliant… David’s had us gripped with guilt at the beginning, squirming, only to be reduced to tears of laughter with the next sentence…  Grin even more so for those that know anything at all about Mr H!

The only downer of the night apart from the foggy-misty long drive home was the fact that the toilets were in the church hall 200 yards along the Old Birmingham Road.  It was cold and when we got there …. The door was locked and the previous user had… gone away with the key!!  I couldn’t believe it  Sad!  After a ten minute wait and still no key I gave up, I was wasting valuable time out there!  I never did discover whether the key was located or not.

Chatting with the Aggies all during the interval and afterwards was enlightening in several ways…  the great news is that St Agnes Fountain 2005 is definitely on!!  Oh joy!  They have agreed that Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without The Fountain.

Thanks to all for really bringing Christmas back to life for me Kiss

A very happy Amethyst

I've just noticed .. I've reached the 1000 (again) what a lovely post to reach it on!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2004, 09:35:44 AM by Amethyst » Logged

Farnsfield Acoustic ... Notts
Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Pugwash
Left hand down a bit
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: The East Midland Sea, currently.

The star formerly known as Gareth

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2004, 10:39:40 AM »

Cushions are fa whimps.

I held out until the interval.........

Puggs of strong sit upon (until half time)  Grin

Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2004, 10:58:30 AM »

I forgot to mention the encore...  hilarious ....  then there was the surreal conversation wtith DH outside afterwards...

Amy Kiss Wink

Thank you to everyone that has ever been to a FarnsAc gig, and to all our wonderful performers since 2005
Ddpiranha

Loc: Devon

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2004, 04:57:19 PM »

Congratulations on your 'second' thousandth post, Amy.
And what a great evening you had. Makes me very jealous. However, it's great to know that the 2005 tour will go ahead.
And, just a complimentary word about the Abbotskerwell Village Hall venue............
When we phoned to say that we couldn't go because I wasn't well, they were extremely sympathetic and put our tickets back into circulation with no charge to us. It was very much appreciated.
tarda (Gill)
Our own Harvey Goldsmith
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: West Sussex

Otis tarda - a slow bird but a great bustard

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2004, 07:17:36 PM »

Dear Flower,
You will not be disappointed!!

And furthermore, David Hughes did say last night that he thought they would now be touring in 2005, which is great news.  ..and he does have his laptop with him so i guess he might just hear us if we shout as politely as we can..

Please will St Agnes Fountain go to Swansea on their next tour!!

well, you can but ask!
Cheers,
Issy  Smiley

And West Sussex please

Gill

"And dreams let you down; they just let you down,
But they never leave you..."
polly
I came I saw I clicked

its me again

« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2004, 08:54:52 AM »

Well the power of this message board strikes again.Drawn to my first St Agnes concert by all of your glowing reviews I can report back that I was not disappointed at the Hitchin concert last night.The venue,which I believe holds about 200,was packed to the rafters.I loved  the monologues ,particularly the one David Hughes did(I wont say no more on this as I dont want to spoil it for those of you who havent seen it) and Chris Leslie did one too in his best Norfolk accent.It was a wonderful evening that has left me feeling all Christmassy Smiley.The only thing missing was mince pies and mulled wine.
Thank you all for introducing me to the Aggies.
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2004, 08:58:26 AM »

Brilliant Polly...  shame about the mince pies and mulled wine, but I bet you had a toilet you could use... not one 200 yards away that was locked up!!!

Amy Wink

martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2004, 09:18:58 AM »

If anyone is still without a ticket to see the Aggies this year. Andy Gutteridge at the Mill told me that as of 7.30pm last night (Sunday) There were still about 20 tickets left for the Thursday night. So if you are really quick  Fez
Mike

Loc: North Notts

There's FA on in Farnsfield

« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2004, 11:41:08 AM »

It's our first go at the Aggies on Friday - judging by the reviews we're in for a good time.

I shouldn't say, but plans are afoot with Ames and the Old Pirate to bring them to a spectacular venue in Nottinghamshire in December 2005.

Noggaman

Loc: Crowthorne, Berkshire

Out of hibernation!

« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2004, 02:00:23 PM »

Bit late with this but there.....

Went to the Fareham Aggies gig last Friday and had a great night.  Hot as summer in the room but a fab venue nevertheless.  Nice to meet Paul and Martin  Smiley  I agree about the beer, guys - I had a great guest pint to start with and the interval pint was supposed to be the same - alas it wasn't.

The gig was perfect for raising the spirits and generally Making Me Feel Better.  All the more enjoyable as we chatted freely to all the band members at different times.  I think Chris While's voice is simply beautiful. We chatted about the Indigo Girls and they are fans too - I just think Chris and Julie are better  Kiss

The other reviews are all you need but the playing was superb of course and I look forward to the 2005 visitation.

One small heart with a great big soul that's driving...
Penguin (Dunc)
O RLY?
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Royton, Lancashire

The Wrong Side of Weird!

« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2004, 02:43:46 PM »

Chatting with the Aggies all during the interval and afterwards was enlightening in several ways…  the great news is that St Agnes Fountain 2005 is definitely on!!  Oh joy!  They have agreed that Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without The Fountain.

Hooray!  I can now remove the black armband and reinstate Christmas on my 2005 calender.  Grin

I'm also glad to see that everyone seeing the Aggies for the first time has enjoyed themselves.  You sometimes worry that when you've posted something that inspires other people to go and watch a band that they'll not actually like them when they see them.

TTFN
Dunc

It Doesn't Stop Being Magic Just Because You Know How It's Done!
Simon Nicol
Samantha was detained elsewhere...

Loc: Usually CT4

Wilco ... and Out!

« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2004, 05:02:39 PM »

Bit late with this but there.....

I think Chris While's voice is simply beautiful.

I completely concur. You couldn't have put it better - it's all you need to say. And I'm looking forward to seeing the Ags on Chris L's b'day in Banbury on wednesday and working with the impossibly talented and simply beautiful Kellie over the next week....

As the Zen Master said, "Don't just do something - sit there!"
rachel

Loc: Sheffield

not a llama

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2004, 12:11:24 AM »

Wish I could get to Banbury as it must be like seeing a home match as opposed to an away match

Still can't wait till friday up in the frozen north

rachel
Ces
His audience wanted more
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Ammanford, South Wales

Fear & loathing in Lllllanvegas

« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2004, 07:39:56 AM »

Wish I could get to Banbury as it must be like seeing a home match as opposed to an away match

Still can't wait till friday up in the frozen north

rachel

Know exactly what you mean, Rachel! I've been fighting the urge to go (it would be approximately a seven hour round trip...and I couldn't stay the night, as I need to be here in the morning for the animals). Reckon it will be an absolute blast, though.

Carey (in the windy west!)

It's hard being the only grey-beard in the village
Amethyst (Jenny)
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2004, 08:15:20 AM »

Ces.... go... it's worth it!

Amy Cheesy

martin driver
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2004, 08:52:22 AM »

Go for it Ces, The Aggies in concert, the best start to Christmas ever !!   Fez
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: