TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:02:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concert Chatter  (Read 411491 times)
Carol

« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2009, 11:36:32 PM »

Pontardawe Arts Centre

I won't spoil it by giving the set list - although Ralph will probably jig it about a bit as the tour progresses, but I will say the sound was superb last night.  Ralph seemed to lose his train of thought several times when speaking, even missing out 'the song' for which he apologised but the music was as beautiful as ever.  You are all in for a treat.  Great to see him out chatting to friends old and new again after the show Smiley

'Friday evening finds me in a favourite bar of mine'
gower flower (Shirl)
Welsh Undresser
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Sweet synchronicity

« Reply #201 on: October 19, 2009, 12:02:43 PM »

I was at Pontardawe as well. The first time I have seen Ralph perform in a small venue, which made a very pleasant change. Good to be able to appreciate his guitar playing visually, as well as aurally.  Grin

Not being a hugh Ralph follower, I only recognised a handful of the tunes, Zimmerman Blues being one. Apparently he played some new material. He seemed relaxed and I think he enjoyed himself. It was a pleasure to have the opportunity to meet him afterwards. As you all know, Ralph takes a lot of time to chat to his fans, and he was on top form.  Grin

That's not dirt, it's patination!
Jess

Loc: England

« Reply #202 on: October 31, 2009, 08:24:05 AM »

The Play house, Norwich, 26th October 2009 (Sold out!)

Ralph delivered a faultless set to an appreciative audience.  He appeared happy and relaxed and the sound was great.  I was delighted to be able to introduce a new 'fan' to him after the show.

Ralph told us that he was aware that some of the audience had been to other gigs recently, so had put a few different numbers into this set:

I'm Satisfied
Walk into the Morning
Brighton Belle
Mrs Adlam's Angels
Kew Gardens
Rev Thunder
Zimmerman Blues
Anji
When they were Young
Hiring Fair
Michael
Wino and the Mouse
Streets
Fin
Run, Johnny, Run
Wild Cape Horn
Maginot Waltz (encore)

Jess

"Don't know when we'll meet again, all I know is that we will."  (Ralph McTell)
Jess

Loc: England

« Reply #203 on: November 09, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »

The Pavilion, Hailsham, 7th November 2009 (looked like it was sold out)

We were treated to another great set at the Pavilion, Hailsham on Saturday.  Ralph clearly enjoyed the evening, although he did mention it was brought to us courtesy of Sudafed and DayNurse!  Whatever he may have been suffering with didn't detract from a fabulous performance which was full of humour and some amazing guitar work on the two Miss's Gibson (6 and 12 string).  Sorry Carl and John - no piano.

I'm satisfied
Walk into the morning
Brighton Belle
Heron Song
Zimmerman Blues
Little Birdie
Wino and the Mouse
Blind Faith (Rev Thunder)
Grande Affaire
Anji
When they were young
Michael
Gipsy
Wild Cape Horn
Streets (with audience)
Maginot Waltz (encore)

Jess

"Don't know when we'll meet again, all I know is that we will."  (Ralph McTell)
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #204 on: November 12, 2009, 01:57:41 PM »

Norden Arts Centre, Maidenhead, Wednesday 11 November 2009  - sold out

When I finally found the place - up a side road on an estate with a distinct lack of road signage - I met up up with old friends and settled into my seat on the balcony right over Ralph's right shoulder. Great view and sound.  Similar core set list to Norwich and Hailsham, but three on a grand piano:

(On Miss Gibson or her sibling) I'm satisfied
Walk into the morning
Zimmerman Blues
(On the 12 string) Brighton Belle (I'm sure there was another 12-string number but can't think of what)
Reverend Thunder
(On the grand) Sometimes I wish I could pray (first time I've heard this live and very impressed)
Sylvia (beautiful playing)
Naomi
(Back to Miss G) Zig zag line (a request)
Michael in the garden
(Two Parisian songs) Wino and the mouse
Streets of Paris Croydon London
Summer lightning (another request neatly flowing from the A-side)
Anji (Ralph is playing at Cecil Sharp House at the end of the month in a Davy Graham memorial concert)
When they were young
Lost boys (for the Fallen on 11/11)
(Encore) Around the Wild Cape Horn.

The man handing out the questionnaires is Keith, who wrote the Peking article in the newsletter. It was slighly abridged to fit the space, so we'll be putting the whole piece on Andy's fansite as a Telling Tale.

Ralph is in great form, clearly enjoying the tour.  You're in for a treat tomorrow, Carl and Naomi - Night Nurse permitting.  Enjoy.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #205 on: November 14, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »

What a night.

The rain came down, the floods came up and we set out for Birkenhead.  We left in good time because we wanted to meet some friends in the bar before the start.  We were slowed a bit by the weather and as the rain lashed down on the M53 the ‘safety car’ came out!!  A big thing with flashing amber and red lights and its own personal matrix sign – DO NOT PASS. So we didn’t – we crawled behind it at 15 mph for a mile until we stopped. Completely.  And sat there for quarter an hour where there was wailing and gnashing of teeth.  Angry
We got moving again and got into the theatre just after 8.  The girl on the desk said he’d started 30 seconds ago.  

Ralph was playing I’m Satisfied –including a bit of a John Hurt medley as we gratefully took our seats and were satisfied at last. (second row – I was right behind Leighton.)  

Ralph was looking casual and comfortable. Two guitars on stage, Gibson J45 in his hands and the B45 (12 string) on the stand.  He put on his harmonica brace for Walk Into the Morning.  A song inspired by following in the style of Woody

Switching to the B45 we were told about Ralph’s dad leaving home and about being passed to his Grandad on the footplate of the Pretty Brighton Belle, which became a metaphor for him being passed to someone else to look after when his dad left.

Back to the J45 -  Since this concert is part of the Wirral Guitar Festival Ralph thought he’d better do some difficult guitar pieces -  That’ll Do Babe. – Tremendous applause but Ralph wasn’t 100% satisfied.

A story about friends – Leaving ‘Ligan Woods -  We visited Heligan Gardens in the summer – Huge amounts of rhododendron- I can see where Ralph got the idea of relentless rhododendron rain.

Leading into the inspiration and confusion caused by his Bobness – Zimmerman Blues.  

Ralph reminded us that many of his teachers were blind, black dead guitarists but one that he had met was Rev Gary Davies a man whose beliefs he didn’t share but whose songs and guitar playing were an inspiration – Rev Thunder/Blind Faith

Closely followed by another inspiring character Davey Graham and his composition Anji.  We’ve heard this a few times now and I’m sure Ralph changed the middle bit.

One loud song, one quiet and now another loud one -  Michael in the Garden -  another strummed piece.

Ralph told us of the concert a few nights back when he’d forgotten SOL.  Now because Pacific Road has some pretty good acoustics we were all invited to sing along to Streets – first time he’s made that invitation this tour.
As we all know this was originally Streets of Paris so we had another French influenced song Grande Affair.  This led almost straight into another song that “you can’t write at the time” – When they were young.  

Back to the 12 String for the song that showed us that women have a higher pain threshold than men.   Wink  Learning that he had Romany blood Ralph got his ear pierced.  He would have had both done but it was too painful!!  Roll Eyes
Gypsy

Ralph closed the set with Lost Boys because of it being close to Armistice Day and thinking of those who are still doing a soldiers job and losing their lives.

Ralph left the stage to hide behind the curtain for a minute of applause before returning to the stage explaining that once in Cumbernauld he had seen a door at the side of the stage and being a strange design he couldn’t remember how to get off stage.  He stepped through the door – into a cupboard – not even room to turn around. Now the people of Cumbernauld think Ralph enters the stage for the encore backwards.  He mimed all this for us – holding the guitar up to his nose, walking backwards!  Hilarious.  Grin  A quick apology to Donard for the length of the chat before starting  the encore of Around the Wild Cape Horn.

This concert was also brought to us courtesy of sudafed - In spite of this Ralph looked relaxed and happy and seemed to be really enjoying himself.
We had an excellent time.  The rest of the 1 hour 40 mins more than made up for missing the first minute.  We had 15 yr old  daughter  with us who met Ralph for the first time (her third concert).  We also had a friend with us seeing Ralph for the first time.  He was impressed and said he would definitely see him again.  

We hung around afterwards, thanked Donard and Ralph and had a completely uneventful journey home.

Value for money has been mentioned earlier in the thread.  I had a £16 ticket for 1 hr 40 of enjoyment.  I have a friend who needs several hours of dental work for about £1500 -  I know which I think is better VFM.
Those of you at the Lowry tonight – have a great time – hope the Irwell doesn’t flood.

Smiley Cheesy

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #206 on: November 14, 2009, 03:57:31 PM »

Anji.  We’ve heard this a few times now and I’m sure Ralph changed the middle bit.

Ralph plays the George Shearing tune Lullaby of birdland as a segue in Anji, and hints at Hit the road Jack as he reprises Davy Graham's melody.

John B

peascod

« Reply #207 on: November 15, 2009, 10:27:45 AM »

I saw the concert at the Lowry at Salford Quays, very enjoyable. Here is the set list, It was too dark to see what I was writing and I wrote one title over Zimmerman Blues, I think it was played on the piano before Old Brown Dog. Maybe a little out on the order. I think my favourite is Around The Wild Cape Horn.

I'm Satisfied ?
Walk Into The Morning
Brighton Belle
That'll Do Babe
Reverend Thunder
Zimmerman Blues
Anji
(Piano song?)
Old Brown Dog
Michael In The Garden
First Song
When They Were Young
Streets Of London
Grande Affaire
Around The Wild Cape Horn
Lost Boys
Naomi (encore)

There was also a Questionnaire handed out, including : How many Ralph Mctell concerts have you been to ?, I make mine 15. When and where was your first Ralph Mctell concert ? 31/10/1990 at Middlesbrough Theatre
Robin

Loc: London

I'm a llama!

« Reply #208 on: November 15, 2009, 02:20:35 PM »

Excellent show in Salford last night. I brought a friend along who hadn't seen him before and cannot stand acoustic/folk music. He was very impressed and wants to see Ralph again! Brighton Belle, When They Were Young and Naomi were highlights for for me. Is it me, or is Ralph's newer material his finest yet? He really has a gem of a talent. Is there a new record planned?
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #209 on: November 15, 2009, 02:50:36 PM »

Just arrived Back from the Lowry and a nice weekend in Manchester apart from the rain, Ralph was on top form and the previously added set list can be completed by adding the third piano piece which was 'I wish I could Pray', Naomi as the encore was on the piano of course, The Lowry is a lovely venue and feels quite intimate, something I am sure Ralph likes when performing. The Questionaires were duly completed, I had to put 20+ for times seen as I've lost count, first one in about '85 I think in Dartford. We then set about trying to remember all the others. Hoping to fit in Bedworth as its quite close, but will have to blackmail the boss into giving me time off. We have some brilliant memories of previous concerts all over the country but this one was really impressive, although I have my doubts over the performance of the new J45, Ralph seemed a little awkward with it at times and did comment at one point that the song was written on a different guitar and they all behave differently, now I know why I cant play ralphs songs like he does, I just havent found the right guitar yet, I only have 5 I'll have to keep looking!!. If your still to take in this tour you are in for a real treat.
justina
n3wb

« Reply #210 on: November 20, 2009, 07:51:10 AM »

Hi, This is my first post! Like many others I've enjoyed Ralph Mctell's music and concerts for many years. I first saw him in concert about 30+ years ago with my first love Ahh ;o) At his concert a few weeks ago in Portsmouth, he played a beautiful song about falling in love when you are young. I felt so inspired by this song that I asked if he could dedicate it to my first love (who I knew would be at the Lowry concert) I wasn't sure that he would, as I had scribbled it on a scrap of paper and handed it to a staff member! However I was over the moon when I recieved a beautiful email from my ex who had really appreciated my impulsive gesture!

I would love the lyrics to the song.....please can anybody help?

Thanks X
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #211 on: November 20, 2009, 09:07:00 AM »

Hello Justina, good to hear from a 'new' Ralphite in McMansions  Wink Ah what a lovely, sort of sad story. Ralph's songs usually manage to touch the heart and hit the right spot don't they?

This lovely song can be found on Ralph's 'As far as I can tell' recent disc set, it's called 'When they were young' it is on disc 2 of the set, available from his website at Leola Music

http://www.ralphmctell.co.uk/

So pleased he played it for you  Wink

Now that you have posted on TAW, you may also be very interested in this really good site too, full of information about Ralph and what he is up to, including some great reviews and interviews with Ralph  Cool

http://www.ralph-mctell.co.uk/

J

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #212 on: November 25, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »

Good to meet up with Diane again last night at the Stables, and to meet David and Marion for the first time.

Ralph was on form right from the moment he started.  In no particular order the set was:

I'm satisfied
Walk into the morning
Brighton Belle
Anji
Naomi
Old brown dog
Zimmerman blues
Streets of London
Grande Affaire
Blind Faith (Rev Thunder)
Wild Cape Horn
Terminus
Clare to here
After Rain
When they were young
Wino and the mouse
Lost boys
Peppers and tomatoes

I don't think I've forgotten any, but I didn't write them down for once.  We all had a nice chat with him at the end of the evening and there are good things a-foot for 2010.  Thanks to Donard too for taking the photos.
gmf (Giles)

« Reply #213 on: November 28, 2009, 08:27:28 AM »

Enjoyed Ralph's evening at Sevenoaks (at the Stag Theatre) very much - a bigger venue than some (ex-cinema) - I had the luxury of a front row seat - and it seemed nearly full. Set list was similar to that for the Stables - 2 piano pieces - but there were some different ones as well. My 4th time to see Ralph - and I think there were only 4 songs he sang that I've heard him sing before live!
My only 'complaint' is that I'm still waiting to hear him sing 'Peppers & Tomatoes' live...Oh well, just have to see him again, I guess!
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #214 on: November 30, 2009, 12:24:27 AM »

The Davy Graham memorial gig at Cecil Sharp House on Saturday was brilliant.  We were treated to some stupendous finger picking, rounded off brilliantly by Ralph. All the organisers and artists gave their time for free, and the gate money goes to the Vaughan Williams Memorial Library. Brief notes on the performances:

Afternoon concert:
Martin Carthy played a 45-minute guitar set (his voice had gone).
Forbes Henderson played Bach preludes beautifully on Spanish guitar.
Cahit Baylav & Hass Dur from Turkey played oud (lute) tunes.
Steve Tilston played a short but excellent set.
Gareth Hedges played the blues.
Dave Tomlin reminisced about the jazz and folk cellars Davy frequented, and read a poem.
Merv Depeyer played jazz piano (whilst we went for something to eat before the rush).

Evening concert:
Compere Bob Davenport said Anne Briggs was there but didn't get her up to sing.
Darius Kanani played a stunning guitar rendition of 'She moved through the fair'.
Sam Carter reminded me of Jon Boden but with a far harder edge.

Wizz Jones with Pete Stanley and Pete Berryman - this was the highlight of the day so far for me, the first time I'd seen Wizz solo, the first time I'd seen Pete Stanley, and I hadn't seen Pete Berryman since the Famous Jug Band supported Ralph at the Free Trade Hall in 1970 or 71.

Roy Harper gave a sermon (Bob said 'Roy, you've only got 30 mins left, will that be OK?')

Ralph was late so Donard did a spot sound check with the hall full and Ralph came on to play a fantastic set of nine songs - Walk into the morning, A feather fell, Zimmerman blues, Rev Thunder, Hands of Joseph/Great dreams of Heaven, The girl from the hiring fair, Angi/Lullabye of birdland, Around the wild Cape Horn, Lost boys.  He got the best reception of the day from a full house.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 02:50:18 PM by John Beresford » Logged

John B

david stevenson
Umm, anyone remember what this topic's about?
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Kimbolton, Cambs

HB aka Haggis Botherer. Never touched it, honest

« Reply #215 on: December 09, 2009, 05:11:14 PM »

I suppose this is sort of the right place for this post.

I went to Show of Hands final tour concert in Truro last Friday - damn good too.

And met Ralph in the gents.....  

Oooooo....! Lucky you! haha!  Grin Grin Grin Roll Eyes so what did you say to him?  Wink

Hello Ralph.  Wink

I built the ships that sailed this river
I cut the stones that built this town
I rolled the steel at Dixons Blazes
I cried inside as they tore it all down

- STILL MY CITY
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #216 on: December 10, 2009, 11:51:02 PM »

Just in (after an eventful train journey home...  Shocked ) from a wonderful concert at Cadogan Hall (that 12 string guitar sounded superb!) good to meet up with Domenico, Martin, SteveK. and Martin. The encore was a real tear jerker. Ralph's 2 grandchildren, Louis and Isabelle came on the stage with Ralph for the encore. They sang so confidently together with Ralph on piano......a real Christmas surprise....'the things you wish yourself.' It certainly was a heart rending moment which brough a tear to the eyes!  Kiss Those children can certainly sing in front of a packed house! Think that moment will stay with me forever.

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #217 on: December 11, 2009, 08:52:30 PM »

Thanks for your reviews JJ and SteveK - sounds like a wonderful evening - I'd love to have heard/seen that encore! Ralph must be so proud of his grandchildren.  

Any chance of a few more details of the evening  please - Interesting comments about any of the songs? Did he say anything about his plans for next year? Any mention of the promised new CD?

Thanks  

Naomi

Hello Naomi

Lots of bits about the songs that you/we have probably already heard, although I did find his explanation regarding Brighton Belle enlightning. Ralph explained that the idea of the song is about his Father's decision that some day Ralph would get a ride on the footplate of that train, so Ralph (typically) used this as a passing or departure where the journey started with his Dad and ended with his grandfather as his Dad then left....(But of course Ralph says he remembers absolutely nothing about that whole experience).

A really nice ending to the story of Mr.Connaughton, or as Ralph said 'This puts the round peg in the hole...'  Wink We know that Ralph met Josephine Connaughton years back when she introduced herself and gave him a huge fright for a moment or two  Cheesy Wink Back then he forgot to take her address or tel. number so he lost touch with her -  well she was in the audience last night. He always wondered whether Mr.Connaughton ever heard his song and the answer was 'Yes'

The story of the Wino and the Mouse was funny as Ralph said he bought 2 mice to try and enhance his act, but as he placed them on the end of his guitar, one scarpered within 2 minutes and the other disappeared so his whole 'livestock act' didn't last. He did say that people are becoming harder as time goes on, or maybe it was just the London audience, but as he told the story of the mouse being dipped in to a cold glass of water in order for it to warm itself on the air holes of the Wino's whistle, people just laughed, he reckoned years ago everyone would have gone 'aaaah...or oh nooo...'

I am so hoping that the encore with the Grandchildren was recorded and maybe will be released as a video or mp3 Christmas song for us to have, now that would be wonderful so I've written and asked him nicely about that  Wink Yes he did look very proud and it sounded so good with him harmonising with them too. They kept going brilliantly singing out loud and clear and in tune. Afterwards they all took a bow together.

No Spring tour as I think you already know he will be recording a new album. So Wild Cape Horn and Blind Faith/Revd.Thunder should be on it I hope!

Just hoping when Domenico gets back to Sicily he will put his photos up as he was going to meet Ralph after the show, together with his trusty camera!  Wink

Joanna
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 09:03:39 PM by JJ » Logged

fylde6

« Reply #218 on: December 13, 2009, 07:23:57 AM »

We were at Cadogan Hall and while we were in the foyer chatting I spotted the youngsters and commented that 'Those little buggers must have been really naughty to get dragged along to a Ralph Mctell concert at their age" Little did I know they were going to be the stars of the show! No it didn't bring a tear to MY eye 'cos I'm not a big girlie. Well only a little bit but I think I got away with it.
Sometimes at a Ralph concert the performance of a song just seems to be much better than ever before, this time for me it was 'Still in dreams' anybody else notice it or was it just me? .....I'll get me coat.
This happened once before many years ago with 'Ferryman' I'd dragged my daughter aged about 11 along (see above) after the song ended there was a stunned silence for a second or two and then a very loud Colonel Chumley Warner type voice shouted 'BLOODY MARVELOUS'
Since then ( and she's forty odd now and should know better) every time she hears a Ralph track out, at full volume, comes BLOODY MARVELOUS. Which, of course, it is
Domenico Mosca

Loc: Palermo / Italy

« Reply #219 on: December 13, 2009, 11:36:53 PM »

Hi all,
just back at home after 4 wonderfull days in London.
Very happy to have met JJ, Martin K, SteveK and MartinD.
I have post on my site some shots.
This is the link: http://www.weatherthestorm.it/_private/me&rmctuk.htm
Bye for now
Domenico
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: