TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 24, 2024, 03:38:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concert Chatter  (Read 415390 times)
CarlWoodb

Loc: North East Wales

A noisy noise annoys an oyster

« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2012, 10:31:08 PM »

They had very uncomfortable seats in the 18th Century, which were packed rather too close together for a 100-minute gig with no break.  

Thanks John , interesting to see the variations on the set list.  Well if you will grow so tall I'm not surprised you didn't have enough leg room  Wink

Carl

How lucky can you get, growing old(er) with Naomi
CarlWoodb

« Reply #241 on: October 21, 2012, 12:07:16 AM »

Extremely comfortable seats at Clonter - just back from there.  Will write more about the concert later but it was quite a variation in the set list.

CarlWoodb

« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2012, 07:17:39 PM »

Clonter Opera Theatre 20 Oct 2012

What an incredible venue!  Clonter Farm has done what many farms have done over the years, diversify.  Many have used their land for caravans and holiday chalets.  Clonter have built an opera theatre.  A 400 seat venue, fully raked theatre with balcony, bar and lounge area in the heart of the Cheshire countryside.  The emphasis being on ‘heart’, this is one venue when Sat Nav really is required.

We were in the centre of the third row, on a level with Ralph.  He was a little late starting at 8:05.
But came on stage to applause and went straight into “Walk into the morning”.  A short chat about the generation he remembers who could recall the events of the first world war led into “England 1914, the Lamplighter”.   Ralph told us about Rev Gary Davies, the blind, gun toting, guitar playing Harlem minister – “Reverend Thunder”.  We had an account of Ralph getting stuck at one line of Citizen Kane, and how this has become “The Girl on the Jersey Ferry” Ralph got all the words right tonight, at New Brighton he missed a few lines.
Without any explanation Ralph moved to the piano - In New Brighton this was Ralph’s own stage, digital piano, but this was Clonter Opera Theatre so he had a grand piano. Ralph went straight into “England” and explained the song to us afterwards, it’s a love song.

All Ralph’s guitar pieces had been on Miss Gibson, his J45, but now Ralph used his other guitar, it was, he said,  a new one and it wasn’t the Gibson he’d had at New Brighton.  Into “Birdman”, I think this might be one of my nominations for the next volume of ‘songs for 6 strings’ – but not this version because he forgot to put his slide on his finger and had to stop to pick it up!  Roll Eyes
I never realised before that “The Setting” was played open tuned but that’s how Ralph played it tonight.    This led into a folk song, love song with a happy ending – no one dies or drowns or anything, written for Fairport, “The Girl from the Hiring Fair”,

Before the show I’d had a chat with Eduardo and slipped him a request for Ralph.  Ralph moved back to the piano and told us about an elderly couple he’d known when he was younger and how it’s not always necessary for them to speak, you sometimes just know what’s going on in the other’s head when you’ve been together a long time.   This led into “Naomi”.  I’ve never made any request before but knowing he was using the piano on this tour I couldn’t resist asking for it. Cheesy
Back to Miss Gibson and Ralph did something I have never ever see him do on stage in 20 odd years.  He had to tune up! Seriously, he used a digital tuner.  Shocked He went into “Now this has started” and into more tuning, he said the guitar shape had changed.
He didn’t try the Glasgow accent when he told us of the occasion he and Billy Connolly heard a young trade unionist say a man without a job is “A Stranger to the Seasons”

Ralph asked us all if we’d ever wanted to sing at the opera house as we were invited to singalong with SOL.
The tuning problems seemed to have settled down so next came “Gypsy” followed by the only piece from Sofa Noodling, “Housewives Choice”.
Ralph gave us a brief account of the tragically short life of Robert Johnson and finished with “The Ghost of Robert Johnson” before going off to hide in the dark for a minute then return for the encore. “Somewhere Down the Road”.  Ralph left the stage at 9:46 pm

Ralph was relaxed throughout and he and the audience seemed really in touch.  Maybe at New Brighton, since that was the second date of the tour Ralph was a bit tense, at Clonter he was really at ease.  The audience was responsive to the humour and all seemed to enjoy.  It was a mixed bunch of all ages, a few teenagers and a good number of under 30s.   Quite wish I was going to Derby tonight or London for the end but I’m glad we got to see him at the beginning and middle.    Smiley  Smiley

JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2012, 08:02:15 PM »

Thanks Carl, lovely informative review, glad Ralph seems so relaxed, love the choice of material, pleased he played your request  Wink At some previous concerts he's 'forgotten' to check his list of requests and has grouped a few together so good job your request for Naomi wasn't grouped with 'Dancing Doreen' it wouldn't have worked would it?!  Grin

Was he signing after the show, did you join the queue for your 2 minutes?  Grin

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2012, 09:09:01 PM »

Hi JJ

Yes, he was signing - and yes we joined the queue for our two minutes chat  Smiley
There was quite a long queue, but, as usual it was well worth the wait!

Naomi
Naomi

« Reply #245 on: October 25, 2012, 10:44:47 AM »

This is a review of Ralph up North in Richmond - much further north than Oxfordshire!

The reviewer clearly appreciates Ralph - particularly glad that she only briefly mentions the song most people seem to mention ad infinitem, instead remarking

"Part folk and part country blues, his wellcrafted songs and charming anecdotes validate his legendary status proving that his early success was no one trick pony."

Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #246 on: October 27, 2012, 01:53:40 PM »

In case some of you don't leave the comfort of McMansions, there's a concert review here...you may need to scroll down.  Wink

http://www.talkawhile.co.uk/yabbse/index.php?topic=38849.msg612813#new

delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #247 on: November 05, 2012, 12:32:23 AM »

Stables tonight. Splendid...more later Grin

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
gmf (Giles)

« Reply #248 on: November 17, 2012, 09:13:58 AM »

Saw Ralph at Sandwich last night - an old church, now an Arts centre. First time there for both Ralph & us. Ralph played for nearly 2 hours without a break, and mixed a fair number of songs from 'Somewhere down the Road' with older - and less often heard - ones. A nice mix! 3 more dates in the current tour - if you can catch it, then do.
Naomi

« Reply #249 on: November 21, 2012, 11:32:53 AM »

Hi all,

There's a review of Ralph in Huntingdon here, which is worth a read.

Naomi

PS Looking forward to your review, as promised, Delfini (please  Wink )
Naomi

« Reply #250 on: November 21, 2012, 11:45:03 AM »

Me again!

Another review here, and a brief article about the tour from Sandwich here.

Naomi
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #251 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:01 PM »

Me again!

Another review here, and a brief article about the tour from Sandwich here.

Naomi

Thanks for keeping your eyes peeled Naomi. Great!  Cool

John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #252 on: November 21, 2012, 06:18:08 PM »

...Ralph in Huntingdon...

It was the Huntingdon Hall in Worcester, Naomi.

Louise Jordan (who wrote the 'Huntingdon' review) opened for Ralph. She sang and played guitar beautifully. Go see her if she's near you.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Naomi

« Reply #253 on: November 23, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »

...Ralph in Huntingdon...

It was the Huntingdon Hall in Worcester, Naomi.

Louise Jordan (who wrote the 'Huntingdon' review) opened for Ralph. She sang and played guitar beautifully. Go see her if she's near you.

Oops - thanks John  Embarrassed  Smiley

Naomi
delfini (Diane)
I've now got 3 pairs
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

.......watching feathers fall from angels....

« Reply #254 on: November 24, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »

Hi all,

There's a review of Ralph in Huntingdon here, which is worth a read.

Naomi

PS Looking forward to your review, as promised, Delfini (please  Wink )

Believe me, if he'd been in Huntingdon again, I'd have been there. I have ticket no 1 from his last visit....

and all I really know is that kindness is better than any sort of terror, any kind of spite (Martyn Joseph)
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #255 on: November 25, 2012, 12:24:22 PM »

The MK one, please, Diane! Wink

Stables tonight. Splendid...more later Grin

John B

tryer

« Reply #256 on: May 01, 2013, 04:27:28 PM »

Well I certainly hope I am not Out of order? Ralph Bromsgrove  Artrix Centre  Fri 11th Oct!    
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #257 on: May 01, 2013, 11:15:34 PM »

Thanks, Tryer. The first sighting this year... Autumn can't be far away!

John B

tryer

« Reply #258 on: May 01, 2013, 11:58:01 PM »

Erm...Second sighting? The first was  Barnfield in exeter October?
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #259 on: May 02, 2013, 12:24:54 AM »

Yes, you mentioned that. Do you have a date and a link for it?

John B

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: