TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 19, 2024, 08:40:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Concert Chatter  (Read 414443 times)
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Buckinghamshire

Little Birdie

« Reply #180 on: November 16, 2008, 01:04:01 PM »

I don't mean this as blasphemous but Oh.... My.... God.  For me, last night's gala concert at The Stables was one of the most emotionally charged McTell concerts I have been to in a very long time.  I was there because Diane (delfini) had a spare ticket and whilst I feel sorry for her friend who could not make it, I was so pleased she asked me to take her place.  More of a review later when I have composed myself but for now here is the set list and a small photo of us at the end.

Walk Into The Morning
Summer Girls
Brighton Belle
Fear of Flying
Truckin' Little Baby
Guitar Shuffle
One Heart
Sometimes I Wish I Could Pray
Red and Gold

Interval

Country Boys
A Feather Fell
Georgia Bound
Westcoast Blues (Drybone Shuffle)
When They Were Young
Summer Lightning
Streets of London
You Well Meaning
Naomi
First and Last Man
Run Johnny Run

Encore
Nettle Wine
The Mermaid and the Seagull

[attachment deleted by admin]
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #181 on: November 17, 2008, 08:07:40 PM »

Excellent show at Chichester Festival Theatre last night.
Unfortunately it started late due to "technical problems" and although Ralph made up a bit of time by not having an interval, I think we had a somewhat shortened show. (Based on checking previous set lists).
The stage at Chichester covers a large area and I would imagine it's pretty daunting for a solo artist, but Ralph seemed extremely at ease with the audience. There was a good balance of songs and anecdotes which varied between hilarious extremely moving.
The highlight for me was was a superb version of "First and Last Man"
The only slight disappointment for me was that there was nothing from "Not Till Tomorrow" which has always been my favourite Ralph album.
There was a bit of a meet and greet session after the show and I happened to mention that it was a while since we'd seen him at Cropredy.
He said he was hoping to be there next year, but I'm not certain whether he meant as a performer or punter. Let's hope it's the former!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
gmf (Giles)

« Reply #182 on: November 23, 2008, 09:41:11 AM »

Was at Derby last night - Ralph's second night there and, as he assured us several times, a very different set list with a lot of special requests included. And what a treat it was - about 1 hour 45 mins (incl. the obligatory encore) straight through with no interval and Ralph in fine voice even though he claimed to be worried about remembering the words of some of the songs as he wasn't singing them normally on his current tour. Highlights? For us 'Jesus Wept', 2 American (I guess) songs played on the resonating steel guitar, 'Zig Zag Line', 'First & Last Man' & 'Run Johnny Run'. In all the songs were only two we've heard Ralph sing before (having seen him twice before).

And the bonus? Ralph was signing afterwards - and even though we were near the end of the queue and it was 45 mins at least after the end of the concert he took his time and was charm personified. A magical evening!
Naomi

Loc: North Wales

« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2008, 06:08:12 PM »

First, the negative bit! I hope that this won’t cause any upset to any Prestonians out there, but unfortunately I’d have to say that The Guildhall is my least favourite of all the venues we’ve seen Ralph in over the years! The auditorium is huge, with an extremely high roof, and is set out in what seemed a slightly odd way. Immediately in front of the stage there are a few dozen rows of seats flat on the floor, and behind them a larger raked area of seating. They obviously sell tickets for these banked seats first, as they were almost all taken, and then go on to sell the un-raked ones at the front, the front few rows of which were also full. Despite what it said on their website about it only being possible to book 9 tickets, there were, unusually for a Ralph gig, a number of empty rows at the back of the flat area. As a result,  the majority of the audience was quite some distance from the stage, then there was a band (about 5-6 rows) of almost empty seats, then another 6-7 rows immediately in front of the stage that were mostly full. Throughout the show the lighting was only dimmed, not really dark at all, so the empty area was very obvious. I wondered how Ralph felt about the majority of the audience being so far off behind this empty area. (The empty spaces seemed particularly odd as when I rang to book tickets a couple of months ago they said that there were no seats near the front left, so we were sitting about 5 rows from the front of the raked area). There were also 5 very bright emergency exit signs at the front, plus two brightly lit corridors leading from the auditorium which just seemed an additional irritation. I realise, of course, the need for such lights, but having so many all around the stage area seemed, perhaps, a bit of a flaw in the design. Whether it was the high roof, or the empty spaces I don’t know, but for a modern theatre the acoustics seemed very poor too.

Right – that’s got the negative bits out of the way – now onto the positive – the very positive! It goes without saying that Ralph was, as ever, brilliant.

There are no ‘wings’ as such to the stage at Preston, so at 7.35 the little door below and to the side of the stage opened, and Ralph came out, climbed the steps to the stage, picked up a 6 string Gibson and began. The set list was:

Walk Into The Morning – which he began by explaining that it was a song specially written as a starting song.

Summer Girls – Ralph spoke about how much he enjoys the sound of DT’s work even though he feels that he frequently doesn’t really understand it.

The Pretty Brighton Belle –  (12 string) - Apparently Ralph remembers nothing about his ride on the footplate with his Granddad, but can remember clearly details like the pattern on his mother’s maternity dress when he was 18 months’ old, and the colour of the egg cups in the kitchen at the same time. He spoke about  memories being both a blessing and a curse at times.

Weather the Storm – Back to the 6 string. A request from a couple who’d come all the way from Scotland for the gig, and for whom Ralph requested a round of applause.

(At about this point, Ralph asked Donard to make some adjustments which improved the sound quality quite considerably, despite the flat sounding acoustics of the room.)

After Rain – described as a continuation of the weather theme from the previous song.

Until this point the back of the stage had been lit with muted red lights, giving a sort of striped effect with the blue backing curtain, but now these lights were switched off. This happened just as Ralph picked up the National. Whether it was supposed to indicate a sort of mood change to go with the change of instrument (though as Ralph said, it’s like an old tin dustbin, and probably better described as an implement than an instrument), or whether it was just a coincidence I don’t know. This left him with a very bright spotlight above his head which somehow cast shadows over his eyes and face making it look as if he had black eyes or dark glasses on and a dark area around his mouth – most unflattering!

After a brief explanation about the influence his blind, black, dead musical heroes have had on his music, he went on to talk about how a National Guitar differs from an acoustic one. Then he explained that acoustic guitarists will talk about how (puts on that pseudo-serious voice he uses at times) the tone of the guitar will change and mellow with age, but said that ‘this old bin’ never changes.

Georgia Bound – preceded by the story of how the homesick workers came to write/sing this sort of song.

Guitar Shuffle

Hesitation Blues – with a description of the time he met Rev Gary Davies. Apparently Ralph learnt this song entirely by ear just by listening to it on a juke box a few times.

A Feather Fell – Interestingly, one of the lines in the chorus has changed. Instead of ‘…hate was tattooed on his left hand, and his picking hand said love’, he now sang ‘No message on his left hand, but his picking hand said love. I’ve just looked in Time’s Poems, and this second version is the one on the book, but we’ve never heard him sing these words before. Back to the six string for this one. Somewhere round about now the backing lights came back on and the bright light was slightly dimmed, so we could see him properly again

Wino and The Mouse – Never heard this one live before. Ralph talked about his busking days in Paris which of course linked this to the previous song. Having explained about the mouse being dipped in the glass of cold water, he suddenly paused. ‘I’m sorry’, he said, ‘I’d forgotten this was a hard Northern audience. When I tell people about that down South, they all go “ahhh”, but up here you probably just think “so what, it’s just a mouse”.’ When he spoke about the mouse dancing over the finger holes to get warm, there was very loud “ahhh”, and a big grin from Ralph, who said ‘that’s right, you’re allowed to go “ahhh” now!”

Jesus Wept

When They Were Young – Ralph chatted about writing AFAICT, and the new songs that went with it.

Ralph introduced the next song by talking about how many radio interviews he’s done over the 40-odd years of his career, and how he can always sense that a question about a certain subject is coming up. He said that he finds it exasperating that 400 or so songs later people nearly always come back to the same one. He feels that that these other songs, plus years of performing live since then should show people that he’s totally uninterested in ‘making hits’ and in going over and over that one ‘blip’ in his career, but many interviewers just don’t seem to get the message. He didn’t mention the name of the song concerned, so neither will I!

First and Last Man – ‘Been there, seen it, bought the shopping bag’ – it seems that he dislikes having to plug the bags!

Run Johnny Run – back to the 12 string, and a mention of how he likes to change words and vary tunes, even many years after writing them.

This was the last song of the main set. Encore –

The Mermaid and the Seagull – Don’t think we’ve ever heard this one live before either, I really liked the additional – not sure what to call them – vocals? Humming? Gentle whistling?

A wonderful evening was made even more wonderful by Ralph’s announcement that he would be coming to the bar afterwards for a signing session.

We went back out to the bar where we continued the conversation with Leighton & Sue that we’d begun before the show. (Just to balance out the complaints, I liked the bar very much – there was plenty of room yet it still felt cosy somehow).  Ralph came out with a handful of pens – one for plastic CD cases, a silver one for the bags, one for writing on shiny CD inserts, and one for signing books, and we ended up chatting about memories again, as we talked about the army buildings in Oswestry, (which is not far from where we live), which seemed to bring us back to what he’d said in the show about memories being a blessing and a curse. We passed our camera to Leighton, and for the first time in 18 or so years of going to Ralph gigs had our photo taken with him – a perfect end to a lovely evening.

Incidentally, I heard someone in front of us in the queue at the end say to Ralph ‘I thought you weren’t doing these meeting sessions any longer’, to which Ralph replied something along the lines of ‘well, it seems I am now’ – I wonder if that means he intends to go on doing them sometimes – I hope so, even if he can’t do them at every gig. Thinking about it, he seems to be ensuring that even though these meeting sessions don’t happen at every show, those that he does do are spread around the country. As we hoped when this discussion first arose, he seems to have struck a sort of happy medium between not meeting people at all and not feeling obliged to do so every time –  should have known he’d find a way! Thanks Ralph.  Smiley Cheesy

Naomi
Leighton

Loc: Wigan UK

Proud Father and Daughter

« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2008, 09:07:34 PM »

Naomi,

What can I say. An absolutely brilliant review.

I noticed you had not written anything after "Guitar Shuffle", and I, if I may, fill in a little of the introduction.

On completion of the applause for "Georgia Bound", Ralph went on to say -

"Gonna play this one for Leighton and Sue, thank you very much for my little gift. I know I'm gonna love it.

Actually one of the guys that knew Blind Boy Fuller, and actually played with him, was Reverend Gary Davis, who I met. I just received a nice DVD of some of his playing, which some people didn't know existed. So I shall look forward to that. I actually met him and apparently he played one of these machines at some point in his life.

This is a tune which I learned from a Juke Box in South Croyden, where I grew up, and spent some teenage years. It was a great Juke box; it had Muddy Waters and Woody Guthrie and it also had a version of this track, which is called Guitar Shuffle by Big Bill Broonzy".

Or at least something like that, Many Thanks.

This dream I have that keeps me hanging on
When our letters get crossed in the mails
Is to wake up at home in the house on the shore
With you by my side in Wales
 by - Ralph McTell
Smithsinarazz
able to reach the G string with my little finger

Loc: Newcastle

« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2008, 09:39:21 AM »

Sage Gateshead, Nov 27th

As a McTell ignoramus I will stick to commenting that he seems to actually be what most troubadours want to be.

We thought he looked a bit like Rick Stein. But that's ok, I think he's a nice bloke, too.  
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #186 on: December 01, 2008, 09:55:54 AM »

This HERE made me smile..... Wink Smiley
MAJ
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Little Birdie

« Reply #187 on: December 10, 2008, 10:53:13 AM »

Only just seen THIS ITEM, but it's worth reading.....  Cheesy
Naomi

« Reply #188 on: December 28, 2008, 10:13:16 PM »

I'm sure that many of you have already seen it, but, just in case you've missed it, there's a wonderful review of Ralph's gig in Sheffield last October here on the R A & S site.   Cheesy  Smiley  Not sure how long it's been there!

Naomi
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:09:47 AM by John Beresford » Logged
Naomi

« Reply #189 on: May 30, 2009, 10:15:37 PM »

Now I'm even more miserable at being unable to get to any of Ralph's gigs this tour - it's ages since I saw him on stage with a keyboard  Cry

Ah well - let's hope he tours in the Autumn and still has it with him  Tongue

Naomi
Carol

« Reply #190 on: June 03, 2009, 11:24:12 PM »

Just got in from seeing Ralph in Frome - he played for an hour and a half, won't spoil it for you all by posting the set list but there was new, old and many in between.  Saw him afterwards and he was looking happy, relaxed and tanned.  He seemed to have a few sound problems which we didn't really notice and it was a great evening.  

I'm envious of any of you seeing him on this short tour because this was the only date I could make and now it's over!

'Friday evening finds me in a favourite bar of mine'
Carol

« Reply #191 on: June 05, 2009, 08:18:01 PM »

Oh go on then, you've talked me into it, but look away now if you don't want to know!!!

I'm satisfied
Summer girls
Angie
Mr Connaughton
New song about Rev Gary Davies
Sleepytime blues
Traces
Naomi
Nannas song
Clare to here
Streets
Let me down easy
Another new song - Sometimes I wish I could pray (sounds like this should be the title)
Hands of Joseph
Spiral Staircase
Instumental that he uses for warming up and has never played live before
Jailhouse now
Lost Boys
May you never

Great set eh?  And even better that he came out afterwards.  And better still, the queue wasn't too long!!  Cheese and Grain in Frome, Somerset is a big old barn and there were prob around 120 there.  They were all very enthusiastic and the atmosphere was good.  I loved this one!

'Friday evening finds me in a favourite bar of mine'
SteveK
No load, always skip

Loc: London

It's a long way up from down here

« Reply #192 on: June 07, 2009, 09:59:41 PM »

Just back from Cadogan hall.

Ralph played 1hr 40 mins. Set list broadly similar to that posted by Carol above with a few differences - minus 'Nannas song',  'Jailhouse now' and the warm-up instrumental - I can't remember all of their replacements at the mo, but  one addition was "Zimmerman Blues". The song about Rev Davies was introduced as "Blind Faith".

SteveK
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »

I loved the atmosphere of the audience at Cadogan Hall, a warm reception to Ralph as he entered the enormous stage and walked on without his guitar, smiling and appreciative both of the warm welcome and in awe at this magnificant galleried 'Christian Scientist Church' He said it is such a stunning place that he would like to return there every year to which the audience responded of course, with a cheer and a clap!  Cool Ralph did laugh and said that probably most of us in the audience may have missed his 'Songs of Praise' appearance that night, he played 'Hands of Joseph' for us in case we missed it. Laughingly he knew something was up when the producers of the programme wanted him to play in London, in Trafalgar Square, and said they just had to mention 'that song' and even showed a clip of him wearing a rather small t.shirt that he couldn't possibly fit in to any longer!

4 songs were played at the keyboard, 'Wish I could Pray, 'Naomi' 'Traces' and England I think (!) LOL If I remember differently during the day I will amend any that are incorrect.

The evening did go past too fast but I will do the rest of my review from Ralph and the families point of view if I may.....  Wink Ralph said that two of his grandchildren were in the audience, Isabelle and Louis, he announced that Louis is learning one of his songs at the moment...'Clare to Here', so good to know the gene continues in the family!

Before the concert Nanna was enjoying a long chat with a 'folk' type gentleman from way back and after a lot of thinking, it was Bob Davenport. (60's-70's Sea Shanty type folkie).

Ralph played without an interval which I enjoyed, it seems to flow from song to song so nicely that way, he announced he would be out to sign afterwards and the queue formed (or as a sign said at the 'posh' stained glassed windowed foyer..."Please CUE this side..."  Roll Eyes

The orderly queue moved along with books and dvd's for signing but the grandchildren were waiting too, patiently but tired for their Grandad to finish with all these people as they had school the next day, so when it was my turn to talk with Ralph they ran up and hugged him cos it was time for them to leave but before doing so I asked them did they like it that their Grandad was so famous and popular, so they too stood at the table next to Ralph and signed my ticket with a kiss!  Kiss Beautiful joined up writing from Isabelle too  Grin Told his son Tom that he was easily recognisable as a 'young Ralph' - (incredible likeness) to which he predictably responded "Oh no!..."  

So annoyed tho, forgot my camera that day  Shocked A concert plus after show 'meet' that was one of the best, voice, guitar and love....

Hurridly writing this review before the working day!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 08:19:28 AM by JJ » Logged

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #194 on: June 13, 2009, 01:44:37 PM »

Well, the Journey's over again, and those of you who missed Ralph this time out will have to stay patient till the Autumn - unless you catch him at one of the Summer festivals.

Reaction reported on this forum and elsewhere has been mixed.  One friend told me Frome was a 'disaster', another thoroughly enjoyed it!  There's no accounting for taste.  I took 3 McTell innocents to Aylesbury on Thursday. Ralph played much of the set described above, the only notable differences being the inclusion of 'Around the Wild Cape Horn', and the absence of 'Sometimes I Wish I Could Play', which I have yet to hear live.  Next time, please, Ralph!

Ralph did play 'Reverend Thunder (Blind Faith)', four-and-a-half years after the work-in-progress version he treated us to on Alan O'Leary's (now sadly closed) internet radio show.  Then it was a guitar tour-de-force, with the left hand racing up and down the fretboard, but in the completed song the guitar takes second place to the lyrics.  Nonetheless, I have no doubt that 'Blind Faith' will quickly establish itself in Ralph's core repertoire, just as 'Cape Horn' has... and we got both in the same show!

My friends' reaction to seing Ralph for the first time was interesting.  They immediately recognised Ralph's superb guitar picking, but felt he was stuggling a little with the vocal.  Fending off a cold, perhaps?  And they even recognised some of the songs  - "Did Ralph write that...?"! Now they know.

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
lucienne

« Reply #195 on: June 13, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »

My pre-Ralphite friend cried nearly all the way through  (London concert) .. when asked if she had enjoyed the concert she said ... err .. I think "deeply moved" is how I felt. She also said that she thought "Reverend Thunder" was a very well written song and showed the feeling and thought that had been put into its writing.

funfair7
ANONYMOUS MEMBER

« Reply #196 on: August 16, 2009, 08:50:19 PM »

Just returned home from Croppers where Ralph played to an appreciative crowd of 20,000. His 45 minute set seemed to wizz by .Opening with Clare To Here followed by ,in no particular order That'll Do Babe, Zimmerman Blues,Reverend Thunder, Streets,Peppers And Tomatoes,Hiring Fair, Weather The Storm.......that's all I can remember off the top of my head. We were treated to a surprise during Fairport's set as Ralph,Richard Thompson,Dave Mattacks and Dave Pegg re-formed the G.P'S! It's been over 30 years since I've seen Ralph play an electric guitar on stage.Pretty Boy Floyd and a Muddy Waters song received the full band volume. Great!Roll on the Autumn tour....
Mark J Salt

Loc: Sea view from a mountain in North Wales

« Reply #197 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:41 PM »

For a man who paces the floor in your average provincial theatre, you would never have thought he would be able to get the legs working in front of a 20,000 Cropredy gathering , how wrong can you be, he was brilliant, relaxed, commanding and totally awesome. Just goes to show what a fantastic place cropredy is, it's not called Britains Friendliest music festival for nothing, you go there knowing no-one and come away with thousands of new friends and memories to last a life time, Thanks to Ralph and all the Fairport freinds, just for being there.
Steve W

Loc: Ontario, Canada

If you pick it, it'll get better

« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2009, 01:55:51 AM »

Lucky enough to have seen the first two concerts of the current Autumn tour, Ralph is sounding great as always.
The first concert in Canterbury seemed to  be about 2 thirds sold out. Ralph also seemed to not be as confident as he normally is, but I have never seen him on the first night of a tour. Talking to him afterwards, he said that he had experienced problems with his earpiece levels.
Tonight, Winchester was superb. Ralph played with confidence and sounded great in a beautiful, full and intimate theatre.
Nice to see that he is back to post performance signings.
John Beresford
Relying on Welsh wisdom
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Manchester, UK

« Reply #199 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:42 AM »

My friend Colin Gerrard sent me this review of the first night - thanks, Colin.

Ralph McTell, Gulbenkian Theatre, Canterbury, October 9th 2009

Ralph McTell opened his latest UK tour with a concert in the intimate atmosphere of the Gulbenkian Theatre in Canterbury.  Ralph opened with a series of songs reflecting the major influences on his musical career, such as Woodie Guthrie, Derrol Adams, Jack Elliott and Bob Dylan, whose influence he celebrated with Zimmerman Blues.  He told how as an impressionable 21 year old he had encountered Adams in a Brussels bar where he began a long friendship with him, although Adams was in later years unable to recall the start of it due to the amount of alcohol he had consumed  on that initial meeting in Brussels. Ralph also recalled being influenced greatly by  attending a package tour concert in 1971 featuring major blues artists such as Memphis Slim and the Reverend Gary Davis.  Many of the performing group were blind rendering their performances even more outstanding although their presence made some of their colleagues apprehensive when the Reverend started to protect himself and his precious guitars by arming himself with a gun.

Moving on he expressed his admiration for an intrepid traveller who had sailed around Cape Horn, before performing songs inspired by Sylvia Plath and a love affair featured in the Godfather.  Drawing his family into his recollections he sang the beautiful Naomi and recounted an experience that sadly he had been too young to remember when he had been sneaked on to the footplate of the famous steam engine the Brighton Belle which his grandfather used to take charge of on its journey from London to Brighton.

He played his hit, Streets of London and was quite happy to do so, even though he had experimented in a couple of previous tours by leaving it out, but had restored it after suffering pangs of guilt.  The audience needed little encouragement to sing along.

As is inevitable  with an artuist who has been around as long as Ralph,  he has gradually lost some of his contemporaries and he noted the recent passing of Gus Dudgeon and earlier this month Robert Kirby.  In a poignant conclusion he performed one of the songs Kirby had produced for him, the Ferryman.  Before singing it live, he said that rather than do an encore he would prefer to depart with a recording playing of the same song from the album with full string accompaniment.  The audience would have loved a conventional encore, but were happy to respect this tribute after a memorable evening in the company of Ralph, his two guitars, harmonica and piano.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:34:31 AM by John Beresford » Logged

John B

Eternity lies waiting where imagination and reality collide.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: