TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:36:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: While & Matthews  (Read 9143 times)
Barry
barrY howarD
Global Moderator

Loc: Sidcup, Kent

The best and oldest furniture cannot be rearranged

« on: November 12, 2004, 12:34:31 PM »

The UK’s two finest female singer/songwriters played Chatham last night to a small and surprisingly reserved audience - although they had thawed somewhat by the end of the night.  As ever with a While & Matthews show, this was a beautifully balanced set ranging from older songs through to newly written ones and a couple from Julie Matthews’ solo release “Slow” (now on my Christmas list).  There is one new song - a lullaby written for Chris While’s sister - that is simply sublime.  The playing was spot on and the harmonies electric.  For me, the duo has a dynamic all of its own that never fails to get the hairs on the back of my neck standing on end.  The easy-going approach, onstage banter and rapport with the audience always make for a perfect evening.  Catch them if you can.

Party on the Lawn 2 takes place next year - yippee.  I asked Chris While about the DVD from this year’s Party …. She hopes that it will be available in time for next years!  There is a lot to do with it, apparently, not least sorting through the wealth of material that they have.

Mention was also made of a band touring next year as a sort of tribute to Folk/Rock, and going under the title “As I Rocked Out On A May Morning”.  Don’t know exactly who is involved yet, but its an Ashley Hutchings project so should be good!

Just because you believe something doesn't make it true.
Grace

Loc: Oxfordshire

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 09:04:31 PM »

Packed House at the Mill last night (including Mrs Leslie and the 2 offspring) Excellent show, the girls are on top form.
Looking forwad now to St Agnes in a few weeks!

Grace
issy
with the fairies
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Exiled Nr Bracknell

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 10:35:11 PM »

Had a wonderful evening at Winchester Arts Centre with WHile and Matthews last thursday.  This is all new for me, but I'd got some idea of how it might sound from listening to St Agnes and was hoping for a good night - was not disappointed!

Playing St Agnes a lot now and looking forward to Fareham very much  Fez

Issy

We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!
Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2004, 01:45:04 PM »

Party on the Lawn 2 takes place next year - yippee. 

And here, so far exclusively as far as I can tell!, are all the details so far.....

Date - 25 June 2005.
Where - Prebendal Farm, Bishopstone, Swindon.
Who? - While & Matthews Big Band (plus the usual surprise guests!)
         - Ken Nicol, Andy Guttridge Band & others to be announced.
How Much? - £30 plus £10 per camping pitch (includes Friday as well as Saturday)

Tickets on sale from 7 January but if you want to reserve in advance, please send your cheques (payable to Party on the Lawn) to:
Prebendal Farm, Bishopstone, Swindon, Wiltshire SN6 8PT

It sold out very quickly last year.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2004, 04:40:12 PM »

Leaflets were being distributed at the St Agnus gigs, so you need to act fast. Our application is already in. Fantastic weekend, and it can't be as wet and cold as last year. Can it?HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh?

Paul

Chris
Well Moderated? Call 0800....
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Errrr....where's me beer?

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 09:59:55 PM »

Just in on the While & Matthews newswire....

So spring is almost upon us with lots lined up for the next few months. For those of you who didn’t hear, we were nominated again in the BBC Radio 2 Folk Awards in both the best duo and best live act categories and though we didn’t win either, we still felt it was an honour to have the nominations in the first place. We were also very proud to be asked to present the award for the folk club of the year to Hitchin, one of our favourite clubs and to our dear friends that run it Maureen and Keiron Jones.

So what’s ahead? Well, after returning from a brief trip to Perth, Australia and New Zealand, April sees the return of Blue Tapestry. The whole team will be reunited again with a bunch of new songs as well as the old favourites. Then in June, Julie takes to the road with her own trio featuring Martin Brunsden and Neil Marshall to promote the release of her solo album “Slow”.  Chris and Kellie also have a couple of dates in June.

Click on the following link for full details of the forthcoming tours
http://www.whileandmatthews.co.uk/

More in the 'Party on the Lawn' thread.....

mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 01:49:52 AM »

Go and see them folks in whatever guise they're playing. You'll be in for a terrific night.

cheers

MikeC

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: