TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
July 27, 2024, 12:25:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Recent gigs  (Read 928919 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2160 on: June 24, 2024, 01:11:52 PM »

Almost a full house at the Brewery Arts Centre which was good to see but Kendal is one of those places with a sizeable retired population with the cash to spend on these sort of gigs. She said this was the only venue they've played twice.

I do like the Brewery...was it standing or sitting?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #2161 on: June 24, 2024, 01:31:12 PM »

Almost a full house at the Brewery Arts Centre which was good to see but Kendal is one of those places with a sizeable retired population with the cash to spend on these sort of gigs. She said this was the only venue they've played twice.

I do like the Brewery...was it standing or sitting?

It was in the main theatre so all sitting. She asked for a show of hands to see who had been at their previous gig there and by the smallish number I'm guessing they probably played in the Malt Room last time.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2162 on: June 25, 2024, 01:47:54 PM »

Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets were pretty bloody great at Cardiff's Donald Gordon Theatre, housed within the Millennium Centre.

A word about the venue: relaxed, no bag or body searches, amazing amount of legroom and I recommend this venue to anyone. No worries about cameras or videoing. Really excellent. No Guinness at the bar for Wendy, though.

The repertoire has expanded since their last tour and is all the better for that. Nick's old jokes are still present. I especially liked his dissing of "the two ornery bass players I've had to play with my whole career". There was a lot of laughter on the stage and their camaraderie was evident.

Standouts included the Nile Song and Remember Me

The full setlist can be found here.

Great to see Bridget and Mike Box there, too!

Also, a thank you to the Merch organiser. All t-shirts available in 3XL. They know their demographic!

* PXL_20240624_185423763.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg (202.15 KB, 768x768 - viewed 494 times.)

* PXL_20240624_184646759.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg (241.12 KB, 1020x768 - viewed 498 times.)

* PXL_20240624_185019912.RAW-01.MP.COVER.jpg (181.56 KB, 768x768 - viewed 495 times.)

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2163 on: June 25, 2024, 04:34:27 PM »

Nick Mason and Co were excellent at Oxford. I took the Chap to see them as a post - exam present (except he still has 2 exams to go  Embarrassed  Grin ) and he loved it.

Now we're at that Cardiff ourselves, getting ready to see Foo Fighters  Cool

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #2164 on: June 25, 2024, 05:50:16 PM »

Prince of Wales is a good pre-gig pub for pie and a pint.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2165 on: June 25, 2024, 06:07:22 PM »

Prince of Wales is a good pre-gig pub for pie and a pint.

Walking down Westgate/Great Western Way was quite a buzz. Every bar thumping out rock and roll, rammed to the rafters and good cheer spilling out across the town. Excellent - how a rock gig should be.

Now we've got golden circle passes and it's time to see Wet Leg...

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2166 on: June 28, 2024, 01:36:25 PM »

I am literally floating in another realm ….a dream came true last night, when we saw Rufus Wainwright at Eden Court, Inverness…For me, a transcendental type experience to even hear this man’s voice, live!

I will tell more when I have come back down to earth.

You could have seen him even closer to home.  Have you seen his social media?  Walking with his fella and his dog at Quiraing in the North of Skye.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2167 on: June 28, 2024, 03:24:37 PM »

I am literally floating in another realm ….a dream came true last night, when we saw Rufus Wainwright at Eden Court, Inverness…For me, a transcendental type experience to even hear this man’s voice, live!

I will tell more when I have come back down to earth.

You could have seen him even closer to home.  Have you seen his social media?  Walking with his fella and his dog at Quiraing in the North of Skye.

He mentioned in his show that they were heading for Skye…imagine hearing that voice at an Open Mic night! But unfortunately I haven’t been to any, due to working…and also, I just love his voice and music, I am not a stalker!

I can’t do the review as I can’t find the words…still on Cloud Nine a week later!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2024, 03:35:28 PM by Lubiloo (Lorna) » Logged
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2168 on: June 28, 2024, 06:35:46 PM »

PS Not suggesting he was doing open mic nights…just imagining it ♥️.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2169 on: June 28, 2024, 07:11:36 PM »

Better tell more about Rufus Wainwright’s concert, at last:

We couldn’t get tickets when I first found it was on…then a couple of cancellations must have come up as I saw two seats smack in the middle of the stalls, so we found ourselves half way back and level with the centre stage…First time at Eden Court, a lovely little venue by the River Ness. We were able to stroll along the river to it,  from where we stayed.

The support, Alice Faye, a brilliant pianist, lyricist and singer and so sweet…blown away to be there, it was a very wonderful support set including very touching songs written for her sisters.

Rufus Wainwright himself performed mainly solo, one man, one piano or  acoustic guitar. He came on, with his ethereal interpretation of Agnes Dei, then performed a well curated selection from across various albums and projects, including the beautiful song about his relationship with his father ‘Dinner at Eight’. He had a guest for two songs, local operatic soprano Janis Kelly, who has worked on previous projects with him and sang at his mother’s funeral…they sang ‘The Last Rose of Summer’ which had been performed on that occasion and she joined him for a cover of ‘Hallelujah’ after his encore song ‘ Going to a Town’.

It was such a beautiful, spiritual experience…Rufus gave the best vocal performance I have ever witnessed in many years of live music….so each to his, her or their own…but I shall hold it close to my heart forever.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2170 on: June 28, 2024, 09:05:04 PM »

Better tell more about Rufus Wainwright’s concert, at last:

We couldn’t get tickets when I first found it was on…then a couple of cancellations must have come up as I saw two seats smack in the middle of the stalls, so we found ourselves half way back and level with the centre stage…First time at Eden Court, a lovely little venue by the River Ness. We were able to stroll along the river to it,  from where we stayed.

The support, Alice Faye, a brilliant pianist, lyricist and singer and so sweet…blown away to be there, it was a very wonderful support set including very touching songs written for her sisters.

Rufus Wainwright himself performed mainly solo, one man, one piano or  acoustic guitar. He came on, with his ethereal interpretation of Agnes Dei, then performed a well curated selection from across various albums and projects, including the beautiful song about his relationship with his father ‘Dinner at Eight’. He had a guest for two songs, local operatic soprano Janis Kelly, who has worked on previous projects with him and sang at his mother’s funeral…they sang ‘The Last Rose of Summer’ which had been performed on that occasion and she joined him for a cover of ‘Hallelujah’ after his encore song ‘ Going to a Town’.

It was such a beautiful, spiritual experience…Rufus gave the best vocal performance I have ever witnessed in many years of live music….so each to his, her or their own…but I shall hold it close to my heart forever.

……and that’s what music does. Brilliant.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #2171 on: July 07, 2024, 02:47:31 PM »

On the same night as their decisive win against Panama in the COPA, I was introduced to the Colombian sound of bullerengue. The band comprised 6 singers and 2 percussionists. It is Afro infused folkloric call and response music-very emotional, very powerful. One could definitely feel transported back in time. I enjoyed it very much! The second band was also Colombian and also had a Afro-Colombian sound, but were a high energy dance band. My wife was in her element, singing and dancing her culture the entire night!!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #2172 on: July 08, 2024, 09:41:39 AM »

Weekend spent at Lytham Festival. Saturday was Rick Astley - surprisingly good and very entertaining, worked the crowd very well - and Madness. Have seen them better but still very good. Some of the crowd disappointed they played a few songs from their new (good) album, but they still got the classics in.

Sunday was better. Johnny Marr was excellent, playing mixture of his own songs and several from the Smiths, which sounded so much better without the usual whining delivery. (Highlight of the weekend was seeing the signer at the edge of the stage translating “Hang the DJ”!). James doing their orchestral set took a while to get going, but when they did they were excellent. Don’t know their material well enough to say how the songs were affected by orchestral backing, but some of them sounded very good and will look forward to hearing the album.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #2173 on: July 09, 2024, 02:25:00 PM »

Last Saturday (6th july) we went to see the mighty Saw Doctors at Manchester's Cadtlefield bowl.
Support from The Undertones and Billy Bragg
Altogether a fabulous show, The 'Tones opened up with a set crammed full of more bangers than the Standard fireworks factory well on bonny night.
Billy was on good form what with England scraping through to the quarter finals and the most despised government of decent years having been unceremoniously dumped.
The Docs were as fabulous, as ever
I paid £57 for a round of 8 drinks in a pub near the arena😱

* 2024-07-06_21-06-41_364.jpg (423.35 KB, 2048x1152 - viewed 221 times.)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2024, 02:37:03 PM by Jim » Logged

The Dude abides
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #2174 on: July 09, 2024, 07:10:37 PM »

Last Saturday (6th july) we went to see the mighty Saw Doctors at Manchester's Cadtlefield bowl.
Support from The Undertones and Billy Bragg
Altogether a fabulous show, The 'Tones opened up with a set crammed full of more bangers than the Standard fireworks factory well on bonny night.
Billy was on good form what with England scraping through to the quarter finals and the most despised government of decent years having been unceremoniously dumped.
The Docs were as fabulous, as ever
I paid £57 for a round of 8 drinks in a pub near the arena😱

Glad you found a cheap pub!!!!😇😳🙄
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #2175 on: July 12, 2024, 11:12:28 PM »

Just back from seeing Stevie Nicks at Hyde Park. I really regret never seeing Fleetwood Mac live, and wasn’t sure what to expect from Stevie. She was fantastic, and played a great mix of songs from her solo albums, Mac songs and a couple of unexpected covers. Highlights for me included a barnstorming Gold Dust Woman, a full-on Edge of Seventeen and Rhiannon. Harry Styles (who I didn’t immediately recognise but my teenaged daughter nearly passed out!) joined her for a very emotional tribute to Christie McVie (Landslide), on what would have been her birthday. A top night out!

Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #2176 on: July 13, 2024, 09:36:55 PM »

Wow I can’t beat that, Adam!

But we had a great mini break and saw Anna Massie, then The Old Blind Dogs, in the Under Canvas Festival at Eden Court, Inverness. Anna Massie is from The Black Isle and sings solo with her guitar, mainly her own compositions, but also some well known songs such as ‘I think we’re alone now’ and has great repartee.

The Old Blind Dogs had their fiddler missing, unwell,  but performed some great traditional-influenced numbers with the pipes, drums and guitar.  I realised they have appeared at Cropredy and on investigation found it was in 2003, I didn’t remember this but they would be good on a Thur or Fri afternoon.

We also went to Inverness Highland Games where we discovered a great electronic accordianist called Ruaridh Maclean…aka Rumac…he was absolutely amazing with his own very individual ( hilarious in some cases) take on some well known songs such as ‘Delilah’ and ‘Donald where’s yer troosers?’ He has a very powerful voice and a great personality.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #2177 on: July 14, 2024, 10:08:28 AM »

Campfire Festival, Uckfield, East Sussex.
An annual one day affair with around 200 attendees set up by Naomi Bedford and Paul Simmonds.
Music very much centred around The Men They Couldn’t Hang and Naomi and Paul’s Ramshackle Band with full band and solo performances.
Other entertainment included juggling, tightrope walking, fire eating and a man dressed as an ostrich riding a unicycle!
A truly unique little festival with a wonderfully relaxed atmosphere.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: