TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
February 27, 2024, 09:37:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2024  (Read 2119 times)
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2024, 12:51:50 PM »

Interesting announcement last night was that DM will be touring with RT later this year.

The UK tour?

It was Peggy who announced it, just stating that he will be touring with Richard later this year. I'm assuming UK.

Can anyone else substantiate this? Did I mishear??

Interesting...and unexpected.  Decades since he's played with him (Cropredy apart, of course) isn't it?

Yes, maybe Mock Tudor tour?
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2024, 12:59:49 PM »

Interesting announcement last night was that DM will be touring with RT later this year.

The UK tour?

It was Peggy who announced it, just stating that he will be touring with Richard later this year. I'm assuming UK.

Yes, I can confirm that: the UK tour was explicitly mentioned by Peggy at Liverpool.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2024, 01:37:14 PM »

The UK tour?

Yes, I can confirm that: the UK tour was explicitly mentioned by Peggy at Liverpool.

Sounds like DM needs to move back to the UK promptly and we can all get on with our lives  Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2024, 08:12:03 PM »

The UK tour?

Interesting...and unexpected.  Decades since he's played with him (Cropredy apart, of course) isn't it?

Yes, maybe Mock Tudor tour?

The Mock Tudor tour in 1999 was the first time I saw RT play with drummer Michael Jerome, who's been behind the traps for RT ever since, with the exception of one tour (captured on the Live In Providence DVD, Rory MacFarlane on bass too) where he was subbed by Earl Harvin. Both superb, although Michael has the slight edge for me.
Very interesting to hear that DM's going to be playing with him again.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2024, 10:07:20 AM »

A very enjoyable gig in Oxford last night. First time I've seen the band anywhere other than Cropredy - or to put it another way: First time I've seen the band at less than 100 metres distance - in at least fifteen years. The instrumental virtuosity they display is still astonishing. Highlights for me were Sloth and The hiring fair, but thoroughly enjoyable all round  Cool

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2024, 12:48:15 PM »

Great gig in Swansea yesterday. Plumhall were very good. I'd like to see more of them.

The only low point was on Sir William Gower (which I can't remember seeing them play live before) Simon forgot the words to one of the verses. Normally the attitude would be 'Ok, no problem, it happens, move on..' .but he appeared to be quite distraught and sat down with a pained expression on his face before the band stopped playing and they started another song. Strange, but it didn't spoil the concert.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2024, 02:08:23 PM »

Great gig in Swansea yesterday. Plumhall were very good. I'd like to see more of them.

The only low point was on Sir William Gower (which I can't remember seeing them play live before) Simon forgot the words to one of the verses. Normally the attitude would be 'Ok, no problem, it happens, move on..' .but he appeared to be quite distraught and sat down with a pained expression on his face before the band stopped playing and they started another song. Strange, but it didn't spoil the concert.

I suppose it's a kind of badge of honour being able to remember the lyrics to all the songs you're going to sing but really, there shouldn't be any shame about having a music stand with lyric sheets especially for songs they don't perform regularly. Hope Simon's okay.  

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2024, 02:26:42 PM »

I suppose it's a kind of badge of honour being able to remember the lyrics to all the songs you're going to sing but really, there shouldn't be any shame about having a music stand with lyric sheets especially for songs they don't perform regularly. Hope Simon's okay.  

In the warm and affectionate way in which this comment is intended, but....Simon has been forgetting words to songs (many of which are very bloody wordy) for 40 years.  I wonder why he was upset...he normally shrugs it off completely.  I can't remember the words of most of my favourite songs until I'm singing along to them...must be a bloody nightmare having to do the leading.  

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 10:36:02 AM »

He got all the words right last night in Exeter. In fact, I do remember that there was a period when he seemed to regularly forget some words, but it seems to me that it is quite some time - ie probably 10 years or more - since I have seen him doing that.  However he did seem to be taking opportunities to sit down and rest at points during the set, so I wondered whether he is not fully over the Covid yet?  He also tripped over an amp on the way offstage during Ric's 'jokes' (and who amongst us wouldn't like the opportunity to do that at that point in the set - walk off, that is, not trip over!).  Debs assured me on FB that he is OK, just a bit bruised, and it was just the low lighting that caused it.

But the concert was excellent. DM's presence definitely gives some oomph to the performance, and it was good to hear a couple of songs I have rarely if ever heard performed in the almost 40 years I've been watching them - Sir William Gower and Hawkwood's Army.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: