TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:20:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fleetwood Mac  (Read 1300 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« on: October 03, 2023, 10:38:31 AM »

Following Christine McVie's death, Mick Fleetwood said that that was the end of the band, essentially.

Stevie Nicks has now reiterated this, so I guess that is indeed the end.

Their very different legacies, from the 1960s with Peter Green and from the 70s onward with Buckingham & Nicks, are both memorable.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 12:15:43 PM »

Following Christine McVie's death, Mick Fleetwood said that that was the end of the band, essentially.

Stevie Nicks has now reiterated this, so I guess that is indeed the end.

Their very different legacies, from the 1960s with Peter Green and from the 70s onward with Buckingham & Nicks, are both memorable.

There's a big chunk of very underrated music made in the intervening period as well.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 02:44:48 PM »

Agreed, post Peter Green and pre Buckingham Nicks, there are 6 albums bearing the name Fleetwood Mac, and there's definitely some good music there that gets overlooked, a lot of it composed by Bob Welch and Christine McVie.
However, Danny Kirwan is really the unsung hero in the Fleetwood Mac story - it was arguably Danny's input that steered the band away from being a blues-based outfit.
They started playing that soft rock, AOR, Americana, whatever pigeonhole it goes into, music long before Lindsey & Stevie's recruitment. In fact, when Bob Welch quit, and Mick Fleetwood was hunting around for a new guitarist, he initially chose Lindsey Buckingham on on the basis that his style reminded him of Danny Kirwan's. The fact he came as a pair with Stevie was an added bonus - Christine agreed to her joining on the condition that the two of them were going to get on ; thankfully, they liked each other from the first time they met.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: