TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 01, 2024, 12:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Allman Bros - Fillmore East Recordings  (Read 1679 times)
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« on: September 19, 2023, 07:01:07 PM »

Full set (6+ hrs) available on Qobuz for under £17... is it worth it?  I've seen the deluxe 2CD version of the original album for about the same price.  They passed me by, but I'm willing to give it a go, as fans have given glowing reviews...

Flobbadob!
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2023, 09:19:48 PM »

Apologies for double post - the £17 price is for qobuz "sublime" subscribers. Usually about £45 for hi-res stereo download. Might still be tempted, though...

Flobbadob!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 10:09:46 PM »

Apologies for double post - the £17 price is for qobuz "sublime" subscribers. Usually about £45 for hi-res stereo download. Might still be tempted, though...

I didn't know of the existence of the 6-CD set until you posted this. I have both the original set (on Mobile Fidelity gold CDs) and the expanded "Fillmore Concerts" from 1992, either of which is essential. At the time I bought the 1992 set, observers noted that added horns screwed up some of the recordings by playing slightly off key. Therefore, most takes with horns were excluded from the original and expanded sets. These discarded performances are obviously included among the 6-CD set.

Therefore, I would warn that some of the horns may be intrusive and/or off key. As I am intimately familiar with the original and first expanded set, I can also attest that 6 CDs may be too much of a good thing. They played virtually identical sets at all the recorded shows, meaning you're going to get three Elizabeth Reeds, three Whipping Posts, etc., and the repetition may get tiresome. Finally, although I find Duane Allman's playing endlessly fascinating, Dickey Betts' more limited approach has worn out its welcome to my ears.
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 11:19:16 PM »

Thanks John for the tips based on your knowledge of the albums - I think I'll go for the expanded 2CD set, then.

Flobbadob!
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2023, 05:20:54 AM »

Thanks John for the tips based on your knowledge of the albums - I think I'll go for the expanded 2CD set, then.

I'd go for the 2003 Deluxe Edition, which has all the songs from the 1992 version plus two more on 2 CDs. I didn't know about that one either, until you sent me down the rabbit hole.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 06:27:47 AM »

I bought the original vinyl when it came out in the early seventies. Being one of the best live albums ever it has been very heavily played. Not sure about needing the repetition though

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
PaulT
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 09:13:27 AM »

Deluxe edition duly bought... great accompaniment to a drive down to (Old) Hampshire last weekend - thanks for the pointers, chaps!

Flobbadob!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: