TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:41:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Onionhead  (Read 4454 times)
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« on: February 08, 2023, 11:21:02 PM »

I went to see the comedian Stewart Lee tonight. Excellent as always.

Last year I heard a radio show he'd done where he played records by bands he saw back in the 90s. My old band Onionhead featured. I've actually had a couple of quick chats with him after his gigs in recent years, but I had no idea then that he used to come and watch us and that he had our old records.

So, seizing the opportunity tonight, I went over for a chat and properly introduced myself. We shook hands not once but twice, and he signed my ticket with a lyric reference to one of our old songs. I swear he was nearly as delighted as I was.

He said if we ever put a compilation together that he'd be happy to write the liner notes and that next tme he was passing this way that we should hook up.

How lovely.

Jules

Edit: Definitely worthy of its own thread...!

Now be thankful for good things below
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 04:39:25 AM »

Last year I heard a radio show he'd done where he played records by bands he saw back in the 90s. My old band Onionhead featured. I've actually had a couple of quick chats with him after his gigs in recent years, but I had no idea then that he used to come and watch us and that he had our old records.

So, seizing the opportunity tonight, I went over for a chat and properly introduced myself. We shook hands not once but twice, and he signed my ticket with a lyric reference to one of our old songs. I swear he was nearly as delighted as I was.

He said if we ever put a compilation together that he'd be happy to write the liner notes and that next tme he was passing this way that we should hook up.

How lovely.

Jules

Cool !

Well I never did..
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 08:01:23 AM »

How lovely.

Jules

Cool !

Ha!  That is excellent.  And he does have excellent musical taste.  So, if you were compiling something, tell me what to listen to. Not being as cool as Stewart I've never heard a note of the might Onionhead.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 08:45:54 AM »

Wow, I vaguely remember seeing Onionhead play support to the Fanatics (who went on to become Ocean Colour Scene) at the Hare and Hounds. I think the singer was a big lad who wore dungarees  Huh
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 08:47:39 AM »

Wow, I vaguely remember seeing Onionhead play support to the Fanatics (who went on to become Ocean Colour Scene) at the Hare and Hounds. I think the singer was a big lad who wore dungarees  Huh

That gig is mentioned in the biog I think... http://www.onion-head.co.uk/biog.htm

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
DarrenWilliams

Loc: St Helens

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 09:33:10 AM »

How lovely.

Jules

That is so good!

Going to see him in Liverpool to Saturday.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 10:07:59 AM »

Ha!  That is excellent.  And he does have excellent musical taste.  So, if you were compiling something, tell me what to listen to. Not being as cool as Stewart I've never heard a note of the might Onionhead.

I subscribe to The Idler magazine and Stewart does regular album reviews of music old and new. It's mostly bands I've never heard of though in the Nov/Dec issue Robyn Hitchcock, Man and Stereolab were included. It's always worth a read for sentences like this...

"I only ever heard of the seventies Birmingham band Bachdenkel because, 20 years ago, their floating fourth member Karel Beer used to ride me on a moped from the Gare du Nord to his comedy club in Paris."

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 11:44:47 AM »

I was not a big lad, and I never wore dungarees.  Our manager, on the other hand fulfilled your criteria.

Jules

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2023, 09:34:04 AM »

That gig is mentioned in the biog I think... http://www.onion-head.co.uk/biog.htm

So you were at Birmingham Poly in '84 - '85 ish, Jules? You might've come across my brother... did you ever go to the Eggshell Club?

Meanwhile... did Stewart spend a sizeable chunk of the set talking with one person in the audience about some completely random subject?

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2023, 10:02:27 AM »

I was not a big lad, and I never wore dungarees.  Our manager, on the other hand fulfilled your criteria.

Jules

Apologies, dodgy memory, but it was over 30 years ago  Wink
David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2023, 12:07:20 PM »

Where did the band name come from, Jules?

We used to have a teacher at Belper High School called Mr. Astill, and his nickname amongst the pupils was Onionhead.

David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2023, 12:12:46 PM »

Where did the band name come from, Jules?

We used to have a teacher at Belper High School called Mr. Astill, and his nickname amongst the pupils was Onionhead.

Answered my own question, courtesy of the Onionhead site!

http://www.onion-head.co.uk/

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2023, 01:08:25 PM »

Meanwhile... did Stewart spend a sizeable chunk of the set talking with one person in the audience about some completely random subject?

Yes. The Chameleons.  It was very funny.

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2023, 01:09:33 PM »

This has its own thread now?  Cheesy

Jules

Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 01:11:13 PM »

So you were at Birmingham Poly in '84 - '85 ish, Jules? You might've come across my brother... did you ever go to the Eggshell Club?

I was. I don't remember a club by that name.

Jules

Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2023, 01:38:00 PM »

Yes. The Chameleons.  It was very funny.

Jules

That's good. At Oxford he had a lengthy conversation about Sergio Leone films on the basis of a T-shirt worn by a lad in the front row. I suspected it was deliberate, but wondered if it was scripted.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2023, 01:47:01 PM »

That's good. At Oxford he had a lengthy conversation about Sergio Leone films on the basis of a T-shirt worn by a lad in the front row. I suspected it was deliberate, but wondered if it was scripted.  

It would appear to be loosely planned. Find a t-shirt he recognises, and have conversation with audience member about whoever is on the t-shirt. So a planned ad lib.

Jules

bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2023, 04:48:35 PM »

How lovely.

Jules

Cool !

There's some stuff on Discogs... Check out Electric Ladland. (Genius.) Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ59KNASP2Q
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:02:38 PM by bassline (Mike) » Logged

Well I never did..
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2023, 11:39:35 PM »

It's Onionhead theme month! The band's drummer got in touch with links to five old gigs that have gone up on somebody's YouTube channel. Yes, we've been bootlegged. Better late than never.

Here's a link to one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP9ndjXfars

Jules

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2023, 11:55:49 PM »

It's Onionhead theme month! The band's drummer got in touch with links to five old gigs that have gone up on somebody's YouTube channel. Yes, we've been bootlegged. Better late than never.

Here's a link to one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AP9ndjXfars

Jules

When can we expect the inevitable reunion and the obligatory box set?

The Dude abides
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: