TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 12:39:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Springsteen ticket prices  (Read 2267 times)
Shane (Skirky)
Simply looking at your dogtags
Global Moderator

« on: February 04, 2023, 12:05:43 PM »

It’s a bit of a read, but when your absolutely devoted, trip-organising, merch-flagging unofficial cheer leaders throw in the towel, there might just be something awry.
https://backstreets.com/news.html

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2023, 12:25:40 PM »

Add that to the long list of artists who have outpriced their long-time fans. Peter Gabriel being another prime example.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »

It’s a bit of a read, but when your absolutely devoted, trip-organising, merch-flagging unofficial cheer leaders throw in the towel, there might just be something awry.
https://backstreets.com/news.html

Cheers for that, and yes.  Rock music ate itself.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 01:51:36 PM »

I decided, having seen the cost of tickets to this year's tour that I wasn't going to bother.  For the first time in nearly 40 years I will miss a Springsteen tour.
Then I learnt that Springsteen himself was happy with the prices being asked and that saddened me more.
    Perhaps with the current financial situation it's either going to mean big bands, and I believe the E Street  are going to be about 15 plus crew , or maybe more strong this time around much like the '88 or '12 tours which were reasonably ( but not cheaply) priced,  are either going to be horribly expensive or nothing.I
   At nearly 70 it's not going to be a bit deal for me as I've decided that I'm not doing any more standing gigs and there's no one now that.I'm prepared to travel any great distance to see, but it's surely going to mean less affordable opportunities for younger people to see live hands esp all the old ones before they now to the inevitable.

Yes David Rock has eaten itself and thanks for the link Shane.

The Dude abides
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 02:09:03 PM »

This is one of the rare occasions where "I still can't believe I got away with it"...

Ticket sales for BST Hyde Park were announced. I went online 10 mins before the release time and got a holding page with a countdown timer. I hit the refresh button at precisely the time, got a page saying 'how many tickets?', ordered 3, and "Nick, You're In!" That'll be £89.95 each plus odd fees.

I later looked around, and saw that elsewhere the system had gone nuts. £900, £1000 per ticket? wtf? Double-check my own tickets. Yep. All in order. What happened?! and how did I get through without being hit?

We shall go, and feel lucky, but not privileged. This will be the last gig of this scale for us. Pricing strategies like this cannot work more than once. They kill the whole scene.

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2023, 11:03:35 PM »

Based on price and scale I shall not be attending. Like Jim it will be one of the very few times I have missed a Springsteen tour since 1985 but on the last tour ticket prices were already steep enough. I went to Wembley and the sound was absolutely horrible, so distorted and echoey that my brain could only make any sense of it at all by using firmly inserted acoustic earplugs. Stadium gigs and by extension the likes of Hyde Park are not for me any more and go and I can see Ian Prowse (for example)locally about 10 times for the face value of a Bruce ticket.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2023, 01:45:15 AM »

I have no idea how much the highest price tickets were when I saw Bob Seger on his farewell tour at Madison Square Garden in 2019, but I know I paid a fair price for the seats I had and there was no peak demand stuff in play I believe. Like Springsteen he had a big band, but no crazy production with lasers and whatnot. In other words, not Beyonce level production so I felt I got my money’s worth and then some. The disturbing thing about this Bruce thing is having that working class vibe, yet knowing as you gaze out at the seats nearest you, that it is probably filled with people who at best have a Greatest Hits album.  I’ve never been a massive Bruce fan but I’m feeling the hurt from his fans. When Bruce did his commercial for Jeep a few years ago I told a FB friend (who actually wrote for Backstreets) that, Seger fan that I am, that I never wanted to hear **** from Springsteen fans again for ‘selling’ out like Seger was accused of with Chevrolet. I remember he said he agreed, and felt Bruce had completely lost touch.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: