TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:36:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2023  (Read 13237 times)
Peter Allen

« Reply #60 on: February 25, 2023, 12:22:58 PM »

At the Lincoln gig , Peggy was available to chat at the merch stall before the gig , at the interval , and after the gig (with Chris and DM) , I asked him if Simon was available to sign an old rare Full House sleeve , but he doesn't mix after the show anymore , perhaps for health reasons
DM offered to take the sleeve backstage to collect Simon's signature , which was a marvelous gesture , and made my night , thanks Dave
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #61 on: February 25, 2023, 08:30:57 PM »

Simon does indeed forgo mixing because of health concerns. Perfectly understandable.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2023, 11:11:44 AM »

Programmes are pre signed to help overcome this particular issue.

And yes you can buy unsigned ones  Wink Grin

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Thom

« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2023, 08:44:12 PM »

Union Chapel was excellent last night. Was very happy to see DM back behind the kit, and everyone benefitted, even if the drums were a tad overpowering at times. The rhythm section of Daves is just magic to hear though. I also enjoyed Ric’s contributions both in terms of levity and musicianship, especially his unearthly howls during Sloth.

It seemed like an epic evening and I was surprised when checking setlist.fm that it was only 17 songs, including the entrance and encore. I can understand that for a band mostly in their 70s that a Cropredy-length set every night without an interval is not an option, and that Ric’s moments in the spotlight are a good excuse for a comfort break for some of the band! Note to self though: bring a cushion next time. Those Union Chapel pews are tough going.

VERY impressed with Hannah Sanders & Ben Savage too- not just the songs but their talent and stage technique. Marvellous.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2023, 09:26:15 AM »

Palace Theatre, Southend was a great night too. DM on drums and keyboard made a rockier Fairport sound at times booming out rather loud on the small stage in the tiny old theatre. My friend commented on Ric's floor spots/stand up comedian being handy for loo breaks for the band  Grin (she had not heard of Fairport  Shocked so before she came watched Fairground Attraction on youtube. Cheesy Grin )
Ben and Hannah really added to 'Meet on the Ledge' Enjoyed their set very much.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2023, 11:21:05 AM »

I’ve written a long ish review on fbook ……but to my delight they were really on top of their game at Stratford last night .. Yes Dm was occasionally overpowering, (loved it!) but I think it needed to be balanced by electric gtr but he turned them back into a folk rock band…..
Hannah and Ben were sublime , spoiler alert for anyone going to last gig in Worthing but her voice on Reynardine gave me serious goosebumps.
Quite simply a cracking night.
An OAP band going through their paces…..absolutely not.
PJayBe

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2023, 09:25:10 PM »

It is beginning to look like I picked the wrong year to have a year off!!
Peter Allen

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2023, 09:33:39 PM »

I’ve written a long ish review on fbook ……but to my delight they were really on top of their game at Stratford last night .. Yes Dm was occasionally overpowering, (loved it!) but I think it needed to be balanced by electric gtr but he turned them back into a folk rock band…..
Hannah and Ben were sublime , spoiler alert for anyone going to last gig in Worthing but her voice on Reynardine gave me serious goosebumps.
Quite simply a cracking night.
An OAP band going through their paces…..absolutely not.

Totally agree , a return to top form , great mix of material too
hendo (Dave)
Ziggy's tonsorialist-in-law
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: leicestershire

The 'unobtrusive percussionist'

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2023, 11:09:19 PM »

It is beginning to look like I picked the wrong year to have a year off!!

I’m starting to feel that about Cropredy……
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2023, 11:37:22 PM »

Well, what a great night! Last gig of the tour in Worthing and an audience which unlike the Worthing crowds of yore actually showed some spirit and made a bit of noise despite the demographic where I, approaching 60, was still one of the youngest people in the room. Grin

Had a great chat during the interval with Hannah Sanders who is just lovely. I know Hannah and Ben from A Winter Union shows but this was the first time I have seen them in their own right and they did not disappoint.

And as for the chaps, this was quite simply the best I have seen them since, well, since the last time DM was in the band and the difference is unquestionably the man behind the drum kit. His playing is propulsive whereas Jerry's was more decorative. Jerry embellished the songs. DM drives them forward so that even relative fripperies like Cider Rain explode into life from the energy of his playing. And his energy spreads to everyone else on stage. It was a long show, the longest I have seen them play outside of Cropredy at around two and three quarter hours excluding the interval. And at the centre of it, a genuinely boundary pushing, jaw dropping rendition of Sloth, evolved far beyond the performances from the last couple of tours. In 35 years of Fairport gigs I think this was the first time I have ever seen Ric vocalise on stage. As I say, a great night. They say there will be more. There was even a hint that they intend to record again. I am a little surprised if that is the case. Personally I don't need any more. At this point I can't see how it could get any better than tonight.
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2023, 09:31:12 AM »

I came on here to report on last night’s gig in Worthing, but found that Al has said everything I would have said, but he has expressed it so much better than I could.
If I had just one small complaint it would be that the banjo version of Matty is getting rather stale and we are due a revamp!
My first Fairport gig was on 23-3-73 at Portsmouth Guildhall (The “Nine” tour). I must have seen them around 60 times in that 50 years, and this was definitely up there with the best of them!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: