TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:42:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wintour 2023  (Read 13241 times)
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2023, 10:33:24 AM »

Chris didn't fiddle at all at Tewkesbury, either.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2023, 10:47:07 AM »

I always think it's a shame when Chris doesn't fiddle at all. I do enjoy a bit of twin fiddle action (don't google that!).

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2023, 12:21:29 PM »

I don't  like the Shuffle and Go album much, but live the songs seem a lot better.

I thought Cider Rain was very good, not too keen on the lyrics but it has a great summer time vibe to it which was great for February.

DW
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2023, 02:30:34 PM »

I always think it's a shame when Chris doesn't fiddle at all.

I've spent the last 25 years scratching my head about this.  It's like getting Richard Thompson to join a new band.  On bass.  Does not compute.  Chris's by far the best folk-rock fiddler in the band (read that again before you tell me I've having a pop at Ric.  I'm not.) and he doesn't play any.  Nope, no idea either...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
garrypbrooks

« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2023, 03:32:05 PM »

I always think it's a shame when Chris doesn't fiddle at all. I do enjoy a bit of twin fiddle action (don't google that!).

Agreed
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2023, 04:12:38 PM »

I've spent the last 25 years scratching my head about this.  It's like getting Richard Thompson to join a new band.  On bass.  Does not compute.  Chris's by far the best folk-rock fiddler in the band (read that again before you tell me I've having a pop at Ric.  I'm not.) and he doesn't play any.  Nope, no idea either...

I felt the set list maybe didn't play to Ric's strengths also - he seemed to just be hanging around until he was needed to do a solo rather than contributing to the whole band sound.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2023, 06:57:18 PM »

I do take your point but one has to remember the role Chris stepped into, which was as a multi-instrumentalist. The songs initially reflected this, but with each progressive album the distribution of songs sung between Chris and Simon went from balanced, to being more in Chris' favor, due to Chris doing more song writing. Which means even less of an opportunity to play the fiddle in the studio, and only occasionally live. The real surprise to me though has been how little trad arr there has been in Fairport since Chris joined. I always sort of assumed that Fairport would get out the traditional songbooks and Fairport-ize more of the ballads with him in the band.

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2023, 06:46:18 AM »

I do take your point but one has to remember the role Chris stepped into, which was as a multi-instrumentalist. The songs initially reflected this, but with each progressive album the distribution of songs sung between Chris and Simon went from balanced, to being more in Chris' favor, due to Chris doing more song writing. Which means even less of an opportunity to play the fiddle in the studio, and only occasionally live. The real surprise to me though has been how little trad arr there has been in Fairport since Chris joined. I always sort of assumed that Fairport would get out the traditional songbooks and Fairport-ize more of the ballads with him in the band.

Indeed.  Square peg, round hole.  If you want to know the role he should have fulfilled listen to the 1992 Cropredy recordings, by far the best post-'85 performance...  But, hey, I'm just an old man shouting at the clouds Wink Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
richardkendell

« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2023, 09:11:50 AM »

An excellent show at yesterday's Fairport's Saga Convention in Harpenden. I liked the venue (not least because I can walk to it), and from where I sat the sight lines and sound were very good. DM really added something to the band, I hope his return is permanent. I can only echo what has been said about more fiddle from Chris and I would welcome a little less of Ric's ramblings- he finds himself funnier that I do.
Harbottle (Martin)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Coventry

Hark at me!

« Reply #49 on: February 18, 2023, 09:38:36 AM »

Maybe he should do a tune called Ric's Rambling' and play that instead of the jokes...

"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." - Philip Larkin
richardkendell

« Reply #50 on: February 18, 2023, 09:48:36 AM »

Maybe he should do a tune called Ric's Rambling' and play that instead of the jokes...

Now that's an idea! It occurred to me during the concert that it is 55 years since I first saw Fairport, as someone said, "Who knows where the time goes?

Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #51 on: February 18, 2023, 10:35:07 AM »

Indeed.  Square peg, round hole.  If you want to know the role he should have fulfilled listen to the 1992 Cropredy recordings, by far the best post-'85 performance...  But, hey, I'm just an old man shouting at the clouds Wink Grin
That was easily the best individual musical performance I have ever seen. It was a magnificent achievement which I go back to often. I asked him about it many years ago and he said he got headphone burn from rehearsing!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David W
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #52 on: February 18, 2023, 11:18:39 AM »

One question- why is it that DM doesn't have a drum riser on the tour, I feel it is a better sound when not straight on the stage?

DW
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #53 on: February 18, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »

One question- why is it that DM doesn't have a drum riser on the tour, I feel it is a better sound when not straight on the stage?

DW
No room in the van?

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #54 on: February 18, 2023, 05:08:21 PM »

DW
No room in the van?

As usual, Mr L nails it.

The Dude abides
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2023, 07:33:36 PM »

Ric's ramblings are always one of my highlights .At Exeter DM was killing himself laughing at Ric's jokes mind you after 4 or 5 they wear thin.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2023, 10:21:29 AM »

Unfortunately I've come down with a heavy cold, and had a migraine on top over the last two days, so won't make it to Southport on Thursday. I was going to contact the venue but I've had a look at their website and see that the gig is not sold out so it's doubtful they would be able to help.

So if anyone would like 2 tickets please message me. I've paid £60 for them but will accept whatever anyone can afford.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Peter Allen

« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2023, 10:57:49 AM »

Thoroughly enjoyed last night at Lincoln , great sound , engaging support act , great session drummer from the USA fitted right into the lineup .....nice to see Simon using a stratocaster for a couple of songs
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2023, 12:33:59 AM »

Excellent show at Southport tonight -interesting selection of songs and a good support act. I particularly enjoyed Ric howling into his fiddle during Sloth!
mikec
Anywhere close to proper english
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

I'm sorry, my daughter isn't coming out tonight.

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2023, 11:47:24 AM »

Excellent show at Southport tonight -interesting selection of songs and a good support act. I particularly enjoyed Ric howling into his fiddle during Sloth!

It was a great show wasn’t it. Especially loved DM’s drumming, top class throughout.

I have gone to look for myself, if I return before I get back, keep me here.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: