TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:38:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Folk by the Oak 2023  (Read 2568 times)
Phil Perry
sufficiently persuaded

Loc: Hertfordshire

« on: January 04, 2023, 12:19:35 PM »

Coming to Hatfield this year are the Waterboys, This is the Kit, The Longest Johns, Lady Maisery, Cut Capers etc. I know extremely little about any of them (except of course for the Waterboys' hits) so comments on this line-up would be welcome ...

davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2023, 12:26:09 PM »

Coming to Hatfield this year are the Waterboys, This is the Kit, The Longest Johns, Lady Maisery, Cut Capers etc. I know extremely little about any of them (except of course for the Waterboys' hits) so comments on this line-up would be welcome ...

That's a very strong lineup for me.  Sona Jobarteh is great too.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick
Calendar Boy
Administrator

Loc: South Oxon

Block and Chip

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2023, 05:09:54 PM »

We're going along for the first time on the strength of Waterboys and This Is The Kit. And to be honest, we'd probably still go if either had been on the line-up alone.

Plus, given that Waterboys theatre tour tickets are around £50, and Folk by the Oak tickets are currently £46.50, (and Hatfield is much closer for us than any of the theatres Waterboys are set to visit) then that little festival becomes a no-brainer for us!

This is the Kit are flippin' great. Longest Johns play good, rowdy and entertaining shanties. Lady Maisery are somewhat of a folk supergroup. I'm looking forward to seeing all of these again. The rest are new to me (although I might've seen 'TBA' before, who knows?!)

Cheers

Nick

You've got questions, we've got assumptions
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2023, 06:29:47 PM »

I've never been...is it well organised? Or are there 2 loos for 15000, 3 burger vans, and it takes 3 hours to drive out?  What about rain - a bit grim then I imagine?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
JJ (Joanna)
safely sewn on
Global Moderator

Loc: Essex

nice McTell I'm wearin!

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2023, 09:07:57 PM »

I've never been...is it well organised? Or are there 2 loos for 15000, 3 burger vans, and it takes 3 hours to drive out?  What about rain - a bit grim then I imagine?

Love F by the O. Its never rained, usually far too hot, very exposed site with plenty of loos for all  Wink. Good food choices and the Acorn stage has introduced me to lots of new musical interests.
It would be dire if the weather was rainy!!  Wink
Very well organised and a lovely atmosphere.
We usually leave towards the middle of the final act though, slow moving out but one way system moves fairly quickly.

....may my love be your protector; and walk with you 'til next we meet
R.McTell - An Irish Blessing.
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 09:57:06 AM »

Love F by the O. Its never rained, usually far too hot, very exposed site with plenty of loos for all  Wink. Good food choices and the Acorn stage has introduced me to lots of new musical interests.
It would be dire if the weather was rainy!!  Wink
Very well organised and a lovely atmosphere.
We usually leave towards the middle of the final act though, slow moving out but one way system moves fairly quickly.

My profile pic was taken at Folk by the Oak so it does rain there sometimes! The first year we went it was a nightmare getting out at the end but they improved that dramatically by taking cars on what seems like a long way round but at least you are kept moving. I seem to remember seeing quite a lot of people leaving before the main act came on. That's the thing about there being no camping - everyone has to leave at the end of the night.

Haven't been for a few years and I think the second stage had just been added at our last visit. Can't remember much about the food and drink as we've tended to take our own. Not sure if we'll go this year but I'd love to see Lady Maisery as I don't think they came anywhere near us on their last tour.

Hoping to make it to Towersey this year as it's very near where my in-laws live so we can stay with them. I see The Proclaimers, Flook and The Divine Comedy are on the bill.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2023, 11:53:59 AM »

Have always enjoyed FBTO. Very friendly and not excessively commercial unlike some. For atmosphere, a community feel not dissimilar to Towersey. It is in the open air and so exposed to the weather, so bit like Cropredy. Crowds are not large so room to roam. Last time I was therefore, bar provided by Tring Brewery - good choice of their real ales. Food was OK, decent range of burger and other vans, pig roast etc.

Good range of acts (well ones I like anyway!) with the chance to discover new ones on the Acorn stage. That is where I first heard the Young Uns and Lankum. Has been a firework display after the headliners some years, which gives a good opportunity to slip away.

Sadly we are unlikely to get there again as will be based on Fylde coast in future and bit far for the day, but I am a fan.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: