TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:30:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cropredy 2023 - Wishlist  (Read 17962 times)
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2022, 01:04:44 PM »

As I mentioned a month or so ago, I recently saw Roger Daltrey live at the Liverpool Empire, with his excellent touring band. Would go down an absolute storm at Cropredy.

Does he still owe them a favour from a few years back:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7951056.stm

DW

Interesting article. I had no idea that Fairport were involved in those shows, or did it not happen in the end?
I've had a Google and can't find any reference to this, but I suspect that was because it was a last-minute booking and all the articles I found are press releases sent out when they sign the big headliners.

I'd love to see Roger Daltrey at Cropredy. I have a brilliant album he did with Wilko Johnson, and he would also be a very welcome guest  Grin

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2022, 01:06:35 PM »

It certainly did and was a great evening. Fairport headlined and did a set of around 30-40 minutes from memory. Rest of the bill was Eliza, Kate Rusby, Set L and Reg Meuross.

As I mentioned a month or so ago, I recently saw Roger Daltrey live at the Liverpool Empire, with his excellent touring band. Would go down an absolute storm at Cropredy.

DW

Interesting article. I had no idea that Fairport were involved in those shows, or did it not happen in the end?
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2022, 01:07:18 PM »

That should of course be Seth L
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2022, 02:21:13 PM »

The new album from Embrace is an absolute cracker. Would love to see them headline Thursday night . I am not a singer but with Embrace I just cant help it with virtually every song, love to hear the crowd doing the same.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2022, 02:47:28 PM »

It certainly did and was a great evening. Fairport headlined and did a set of around 30-40 minutes from memory. Rest of the bill was Eliza, Kate Rusby, Set L and Reg Meuross.

DW

It was a great gig - here's my own report of proceedings, one of my first ever posts on the hallowed pages of Talkawhile !  Smiley

"Just got in...a sublime evening of music !!! Eliza Carthy was as entertaining as ever, Kate Rusby (with strings) very polished, Seth Lakeman moved the earth, and Fairport provided a rousing finale. Reg Meuross also played a couple of songs (heard of but never heard him before, would like to hear him again). The evening was expertly compered by Mike Harding, with FC introduced by Simon Mayo (he told the yarn of how FC got the gig in the first place). Highlights of FC's set included Summer in December, Lord Marlborough, WKWTTG featuring Kellie While, a rocking Dirty Linen attached to Matty Groves, and MOTL featuring Kellie and Seth. All in all, a great evening - apart from the excellent music it certainly increased my awareness of what the Teenage Cancer Trust is all about. By the way, The Albert Hall is still a very special place to watch live music, must go there again soon - FC's 45th Anniversary Tour in 2012 ?"
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2022, 07:38:01 PM »

I was thinking Stereophonics are still too big for Cropredy...they are still filling stadiums...but actually I note on a little digging that they do smaller festivals too..mostly though with other more ‘current’ bands for want of a better word! I’d love to see them live...I wonder how they would affect ticket sales?

I would love to see Supergrass back, but they are having a resurgence and at one festival were headlining above the ‘phonics. Also, would like Fleet Foxes.

If we were in borderline fantasy territory, I would like to see Jack White and Father John Misty. Jack headlining and FJ in late afternoon...I am not sure when we will next make it,  but if they were there I would do my best.

More realistically, I agree about Chris While and Julie Matthews, we saw them a few times when we first met, their music means a lot to us.  I don’t know if Sally Barker still does the Joni Mitchell show, which we saw in Halifax years ago, but I would also love to see that at Cropredy as it would be a lovely ethereal singalong.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2022, 07:55:47 PM by Lubiloo (Lorna) » Logged
JohnP69

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2022, 08:17:26 AM »

Gong

Steve Hillage

Ryley Walker

Ezra Collective

Probably too big an act but Paul Weller would be an excellent Thursday/Friday headliner
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #47 on: September 01, 2022, 01:06:44 PM »

I was thinking Stereophonics are still too big for Cropredy...they are still filling stadiums...but actually I note on a little digging that they do smaller festivals too..mostly though with other more ‘current’ bands for want of a better word! I’d love to see them live...I wonder how they would affect ticket sales?

I would love to see Supergrass back, but they are having a resurgence and at one festival were headlining above the ‘phonics. Also, would like Fleet Foxes.

If we were in borderline fantasy territory, I would like to see Jack White and Father John Misty. Jack headlining and FJ in late afternoon...I am not sure when we will next make it,  but if they were there I would do my best.

More realistically, I agree about Chris While and Julie Matthews, we saw them a few times when we first met, their music means a lot to us.  I don’t know if Sally Barker still does the Joni Mitchell show, which we saw in Halifax years ago, but I would also love to see that at Cropredy as it would be a lovely ethereal singalong.

Sally does a “Joni & Sandy” show which I’ve not seen but reviews are good.  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2022, 08:29:04 PM »

I'd love to see Roger Daltrey at Cropredy. I have a brilliant album he did with Wilko Johnson, and he would also be a very welcome guest  Grin

He played three songs from that album at the Liverpool gig, and they nearly lifted the roof off the place!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2022, 09:33:50 PM »

At least some of the Supergrass fans at Cropredy 2008 were drunk, obnoxious, set fire to their tents and scarpered leaving a very messy campsite. Quite the worst behaved of any group's fans I have ever seen there.

So, Supergrass? No thanks.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2022, 09:39:36 PM »

At least some of the Supergrass fans at Cropredy 2008 were drunk, obnoxious, set fire to their tents and scarpered leaving a very messy campsite. Quite the worst behaved of any group's fans I have ever seen there.

Eek nasty! Maybe the fans are more mature 14 years on...I loved their recent performance at Glastonbury ...but down with that sort of thing!
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »

Return visits of :
3 Daft Monkeys
Churchfitters
Easy Star All Stars

New to Cropredy:
Kangaroo Moon (they did the fringe once)
Leylines
Tankus the Henge

Tribute act:
TRextacy

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2022, 12:03:20 AM »

Let's just go nuts and sod the budgetary constraints:

3 Daft Monkeys
Australian Pink Floyd
Banter
Bellowhead
Decemberists / Colin Meloy solo
Elvis Costello
Fish
Frank Turner
Gary Stewart's Graceland band
Gigspanner Big Band
Hawkwind
James Taylor
Little Johnny England
Miranda Sykes & Hannah Martin
Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets
Reg Meuross' "Fire & Dust"
Sea Power
Sparks
Thea Gilmore
TRADarrr

Not forgetting Jasper Carrott instead of that other bloke
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 11:15:10 AM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Peter Allen

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2022, 08:52:49 AM »

"Sparks" , that's a particularly good call , rare , but good
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2022, 12:38:54 PM »

Probably because they are relatively local . On the couple of occasions that we used the low numbered campsites behind the cricket club there were regular gatherings of local teenagers with large supplies of alcohol, many without tickets. Their behaviour was awful (my daughter in law narrowly avoided serious injury from an unopened tin of beans thrown from behind - she hasnt been back since}. The stewards eventually coralled them into an empty field that they named the Creche. I like Supergrass albums but found them boring at Cropredy.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »

I found Saw Doctors fans to be really bad one year they played.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2022, 12:44:37 PM »

Probably because they are relatively local . On the couple of occasions that we used the low numbered campsites behind the cricket club there were regular gatherings of local teenagers with large supplies of alcohol, many without tickets. Their behaviour was awful (my daughter in law narrowly avoided serious injury from an unopened tin of beans thrown from behind - she hasnt been back since}. The stewards eventually coralled them into an empty field that they named the Creche. I like Supergrass albums but found them boring at Cropredy.

It was also at the absolute nadir of their career and they ceased business with a year or so.  I thought they were dull as ditchwater.  I watched their recent Glastonbury performance and it was a bit better than the Cropredy show but still nothing special for me.  There's something of a forced jollity to even their best material that makes me want to chuck tins of beans around (it wasn't me, honest).

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2022, 12:46:23 PM »

Supergrass, closely followed by Joan Armatrading, were worst turn I have ever seen at Cropredy

The Dude abides
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »

I found Saw Doctors fans to be really bad one year they played.
Since
1997 when they headlined the Friday night or 2011?
I thought they were fabulous both times

The Dude abides
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2022, 01:35:15 PM »

Supergrass, closely followed by Joan Armatrading, were worst turn I have ever seen at Cropredy

Yes Joan is definitely better in a smaller venue. I didn't take much notice of Supergrass in 2008 but my niece who was with me enjoyed them. I really enjoyed their set on Glastonbury this year...I felt they had matured and Gaz’s voice in tracks like ‘Moving’ was superb.

Anyway, will strike them off my wishlist for the sake of others’ views tee hee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: