TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:00:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Self referential songs  (Read 8887 times)
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« on: August 03, 2022, 12:18:25 PM »

I have been mulling this over a while - is there any other band as self referential as Fairport, from Come All Ye on Liege and Lief, Angel Delight, Hungarian Rhapsody through to Our Bus Rolls On, Festival Bell, Summer by the Cherwell.

What are folks thoughts on this?

DW
Dan O.
Ken Bruce gets it out every year
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2022, 01:27:10 PM »

Bo Diddley ?  Grin :

Bo Diddley
Go Bo Diddley
Bo Diddley in the Spotlight
Bo Diddley Is a Gunslinger
Bo Diddley Is a Lover
Bo Diddley's a Twister
Bo Diddley & Company
Surfin' with Bo Diddley

and many more...
Sue & Chris

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2022, 06:46:01 PM »

I have been mulling this over a while - is there any other band as self referential as Fairport, from Come All Ye on Liege and Lief, Angel Delight, Hungarian Rhapsody through to Our Bus Rolls On, Festival Bell, Summer by the Cherwell.

What are folks thoughts on this?

DW

Zappa?

Road Ladies, Punky's Whips, Stevie's Spanking, etc.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2022, 08:07:55 PM »

The Who - Pete Townshend writes very personal lyrics and references his and the band's history:

You Better You Bet: "I got your body right now on my mind/But I drunk myself blind/To the sound of old T-Rex/To the sound of old T-Rex/Oh, and Who's Next?"
The Punk and the Godfather: "I'm the new president/And I grew and I bent/Don't you know, don't it show?/I'm the punk with the stutter/My, my, my, my, my g-g-generation"
How Many Friends: "When I first signed a contract/It was more than a handshake then/I know it still is/But there's a plain fact/We talk so much s**t behind each other's backs/I get the willies"
New Song: "My fingers kill me as I play my guitar/'Cause I've been chewing down at my nails/My hairline ain't exactly superstar/But there's one thing that never fails/This never fails/I write the same old song with a few new lines/And everybody wants to cheer it/I write the same old song you heard a good few times/Admit you really want to hear it"
Who Are You: "I woke up in a Soho doorway/A policeman knew my name/He said "You can go sleep at home tonight/If you can get up and walk away"/I staggered back to the underground/And the breeze blew back my hair/I remember throwing punches around/And preaching from my chair"
Long Live Rock: "People walk in sideways pretending that they're leaving/We put on our makeup and work out all the lead-ins/Jackie's (Curblshley) in the alley selling tickets made in Hong Kong/Promoter's in the pay box wondering where the band's gone/Back in the pub the governor stops the clock/Rock is dead they say/Long live rock"

Peter H-K
inexperienced in matters ebayular

Loc: North Lancashire

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2022, 08:44:05 PM »

The Who - Pete Townshend writes very personal lyrics and references his and the band's history:

You Better You Bet: "I got your body right now on my mind/But I drunk myself blind/To the sound of old T-Rex/To the sound of old T-Rex/Oh, and Who's Next?"
The Punk and the Godfather: "I'm the new president/And I grew and I bent/Don't you know, don't it show?/I'm the punk with the stutter/My, my, my, my, my g-g-generation"
How Many Friends: "When I first signed a contract/It was more than a handshake then/I know it still is/But there's a plain fact/We talk so much s**t behind each other's backs/I get the willies"
New Song: "My fingers kill me as I play my guitar/'Cause I've been chewing down at my nails/My hairline ain't exactly superstar/But there's one thing that never fails/This never fails/I write the same old song with a few new lines/And everybody wants to cheer it/I write the same old song you heard a good few times/Admit you really want to hear it"
Who Are You: "I woke up in a Soho doorway/A policeman knew my name/He said "You can go sleep at home tonight/If you can get up and walk away"/I staggered back to the underground/And the breeze blew back my hair/I remember throwing punches around/And preaching from my chair"
Long Live Rock: "People walk in sideways pretending that they're leaving/We put on our makeup and work out all the lead-ins/Jackie's (Curblshley) in the alley selling tickets made in Hong Kong/Promoter's in the pay box wondering where the band's gone/Back in the pub the governor stops the clock/Rock is dead they say/Long live rock"

True, except it's "Jack is in the alley" (just double-checked the lyric sheet on my 1974 copy of Odds and Sods to make extra sure!). Not clear why the tour manager's wife would sell fake tickets .... (Curbishley first managed tours in 1971, but wasn't the band's manager until 1976).

I guess a case could be made for certain lyrics on Endless Wire being somewhat self-referential ("people died where I performed"), even though that's part of a story about a fictitious band. And there's similarly self-referential stuff on Who (the whole of 'All This Music Must Fade' and 'I Don't Want to Get Wise').

By the way, I saw Roger Daltrey live on his recent solo tour. Man, he and his band would be great for Cropredy!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2022, 09:01:02 PM by Peter H-K » Logged
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2022, 09:16:07 PM »

By the way, I saw Roger Daltrey live on his recent solo tour. Man, he and his band would be great for Cropredy!

Who was in the band...did it include Simon T?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Peter H-K

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 10:47:17 PM »

Who was in the band...did it include Simon T?

It did, along with Katie Jacoby, Ben Townshend (Simon's son), Jody Linscott, Billy Nicholls, and a wealth of other people I can't recall the names of I'm afraid! I was at the Liverpool gig: it's worth looking at the version of Young Man Blues on YouTube from that gig to see how stunning it was. His voice is unbelievable for a 78-year-old!
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 11:18:14 PM »

Off the top of my head, self referential songs:

Fire and Rain - James Taylor
At Seventeen - Janis Ian
A New England - Billy Bragg*
Oh Carole - Neil Sedaka
Oh Neil - Carole King
Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
Our House - Graham Nash*
River - Joni Mitchell*
Hurt - Trent Reznor
Golden Brown - Stranglers

*All these writers have written numerous songs about themselves, their lovers, their lives.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2022, 11:21:39 PM »

Off the top of my head:

Fire and Rain - James Taylor
At Seventeen - Janis Ian
A New England - Billy Bragg
Oh Carole - Neil Sedaka
Oh Neil - Carole King
Alice's Restaurant - Arlo Guthrie
Our House - Graham Nash
River - Joni Mitchell
Hurt - Trent Reznor

Those are autobiographical songs. The list of those would be endless. I thought what David was looking for were songs by bands about bands.

Mott the Hoople did Ballad of Mott and Saturday Gigs, for example.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2022, 11:22:36 PM »

Those are autobiographical songs. The list of those would be endless. I thought what David was looking for were songs by bands about bands.

Jules

Ah, ok. It's late.

Hmmm. Didn't the Clash do a song about being the Clash?

Also, what about Rumours by Fleetwood Mac? The whole album is about... Fleetwood Mac.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 12:18:46 AM »

They did at least two: Clash City Rockers, and the woeful We Are The Clash (which Sparks covered, hilariously... they vastly improved it too).

Jules

Peter H-K

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2022, 07:39:57 AM »

Hey, Hey We’re the Monkees ….
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2022, 08:18:21 AM »

Jules

Ah, ok. It's late.

Also, what about Rumours by Fleetwood Mac? The whole album is about... Fleetwood Mac.

Cocaine can do that...  Wink Roll Eyes Grin

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
David W
a day on the Singer awaits
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Solihull

Cropredy 2018

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2022, 09:10:29 AM »

What do we think about the FC songs about themselves / Cropredy - does The Crowd stand alongside Angel Delight or Summer by the Cherwell alongside Hungarian Rhapsody?

mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2022, 02:34:43 PM »

I don't think Summer By the Cherwell should stand anywhere....just let it rest (in peace!)

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2022, 03:30:34 PM »

Jason Derulo!!  Grin
Shankly (Peter)
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Liverpool, England

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2022, 03:33:34 PM »

In the heavy metal arena, there's Manowar, who sing many songs about themselves.
Jules Gray
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2022, 03:50:51 PM »

In the heavy metal arena, there's Manowar, who sing many songs about themselves.

Well, nobody else was going to.

Jules

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2022, 04:20:10 PM »

Looking up self-referential on yourdictionary.com is says -

"The definition of self-referential is to say or write something about yourself."

In that case Ian McNabb should get a mention. Dan O might be better qualified to list the songs Ian has written about himself or the Icicle Works but "I Never Saw My Hometown Till I Went Around the World" comes to mind along with "Fire Inside My Soul".

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2022, 04:25:14 PM »

Well, nobody else was going to.

Jules

Grin

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: