TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
March 28, 2024, 11:42:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The small claims court  (Read 9892 times)
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2022, 05:06:39 AM »

Ronnie Drew of The Dubliners was doing a show at the Irish Arts Center for a few weeks here in the early 2000’s. A pub I used to go to was where performers and audience typically went after the show. I had seen Ronnie one evening, but one night while coming out of the bathroom, which was in a narrow hallway that led to a back garden I almost swung the door right on Ronnie who was carrying a cup of tea. I apologized profusely and he was gracious and asked me where I was from, which for the Irish typically means what part of Ireland was I from. When I told him what part of Donegal my mom was raised in he knew all about it. So luckily I avoided being in the Irish papers as being ‘Man scalds Dubliner Drew in NY drunken debacle!

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
Jim G
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: Bridport ,Dorset

« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2022, 04:32:41 PM »

My small claim is that I have been winked at by 3 different celebrities.

1) Frank Muir , complete with pink bow tie, crossing the road opposite me outside Green Park tube station. Around 1975.

2) Prince Phillip , when I came face to face with him during a Royal Visit to Bromley  in the early 1980s

3) Freddie Garrity, of Freddie and the Dreamers, around 2004, Fairfield Halls Croydon  whilst he was flogging cds behind a merchandise stall and I was skulking around waiting for Mrs Jim G to finish nose powdering duties on our way out from one of those Solid Gold 60s shows.
John From Austin
Donovan is my new texting buddy
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Austin

« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2022, 05:01:21 PM »

I exchanged smiles with Donovan as he exited the gents at my B&B in New York, following his performance at Yasgur's Farm in 1998.

This was decades before he became my texting buddy. Smiley
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »

My small claim is that I have been winked at by 3 different celebrities.

2) Prince Phillip , when I came face to face with him during a Royal Visit to Bromley  in the early 1980s

I stood behind Kate Middleton at a supermarket checkout in St Andrews about 20 years ago. William was there too and he had to wait with a multi-pack of loo roll under his arm as herself was having problems getting her bank card accepted. I don't suppose she has that sort of trouble these days.

But neither of them winked at me.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Glen S
and I do love a bit of Macca whimsy

Loc: Oxford

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2022, 05:08:51 PM »

Swindon Brunel Centre (early 90s) listlessly attempting my Christmas shopping & about to abandon all hope, when I spotted Andy Partridge (XTC) also out doing his Christmas shopping...It was just the tonic I needed & my day was a success from that moment on! Smiley
Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2022, 11:13:47 PM »

1) Frank Muir , complete with pink bow tie, crossing the road opposite me outside Green Park tube station. Around 1975.

About 1977/8, Frank Muir and Denis Norden were at a gig in the Feathers, Datchet. They graciously let me (and many others) buy them drinks.

Frank lived round the corner in Egham Hythe, no idea where Denis lived.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2022, 08:20:39 AM »

I met Arthur Lee and Mick Head of Shack in a pub near the T&C2/Garage in 1994 (where Arthur was playing with High Llamas as his 'Love').  Both were clearly 'very under the influence'.  I got Arthur to sign a cassette copy of Forever Changes to me and offered to buy him a drink.  He asked for a Baileys.  He then proceeded to pour water into the glass, watch the disgusting mixture separate and congeal and then slowly downed the lot thanking me profusely.  He looked like he was about to slide under the table....an absolute shambles.  About 3 hours later he came onstage looking raring to go and kicked musical arse.  I've never seen such a recovery.  He pointed and thumbsed up at me and my mate.  Amazing what you can do with the right powders and potions...

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2022, 08:49:57 AM »

I met Arthur Lee and Mick Head of Shack in a pub near the T&C2/Garage in 1994 (where Arthur was playing with High Llamas as his 'Love').  Both were clearly 'very under the influence'.  I got Arthur to sign a cassette copy of Forever Changes to me and offered to buy him a drink.  He asked for a Baileys.  He then proceeded to pour water into the glass, watch the disgusting mixture separate and congeal and then slowly downed the lot thanking me profusely.  He looked like he was about to slide under the table....an absolute shambles.  About 3 hours later he came onstage looking raring to go and kicked musical arse.  I've never seen such a recovery.  He pointed and thumbsed up at me and my mate.  Amazing what you can do with the right powders and potions...

One of my small claims is that the only time I have met you was at a Love gig, although I didnt realise until a few weeks ago , when i let you know. Still got the evidence.  Grin

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2022, 08:54:18 AM »

One of my small claims is that the only time I have met you was at a Love gig, although I didnt realise until a few weeks ago , when i let you know. Still got the evidence.  Grin

Oh God, now you're making me doubt my sanity.  There's a lot going on.  Remind me!

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:14 AM »

A friend and I hustled our way backstage after an R.E.M. gig in 1985. We interviewed Michael Stipe for our college newspaper, and then took him out for a curry. It was Hallowe'en and Michael gave me the mask he had been wearing, although I sadly lost that.

After eating (Michael had dahl and lots of coffee), we walked him back to his hotel. When we shook hands to say goodbye, he told me that my handshake was too limp, and proceeded to teach me how to give a firm handshake, and tell me how important that was.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2022, 12:14:03 PM »

A friend and I hustled our way backstage after an R.E.M. gig in 1985. We interviewed Michael Stipe for our college newspaper, and then took him out for a curry. It was Hallowe'en and Michael gave me the mask he had been wearing, although I sadly lost that.

After eating (Michael had dahl and lots of coffee), we walked him back to his hotel. When we shook hands to say goodbye, he told me that my handshake was too limp, and proceeded to teach me how to give a firm handshake, and tell me how important that was.

Jules
I felt sure that was leading up to the old “That’s me in the Korma” joke!

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
David Gladwin

Loc: The Greenwood

The Wood Road North

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2022, 12:20:20 PM »

I once nearly bumped into Su Pollard at Nottingham station.

ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2022, 01:50:01 PM »

Jules

I felt sure that was leading up to the old “That’s me in the Korma” joke!

Or was Jules trying to curry favour with the REM singer.  Grin

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
Adam
I'm looking at you, Cool Cat!
Folkcorp Guru

I'm a llama!

« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2022, 08:35:19 PM »

Jules

Wow - that’s amazing! On a much less exciting  level, I sat next to Christopher Biggins at a wedding reception. He was charming, very funny and had lots of great stories about his life in ‘the business’
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2022, 08:23:30 AM »

Lorraine Chase in the loos of the Albert Hall, where I was singing with a choir for a Born Free anniversary event. I remarked on her stunning embroidered jacket and she replied with something suitable in cockney then raced off.

I met a lot of other celebs that day, but they were all part of the concert so that would cheating a bit as, for a few hours, I was "one of them"  Cool  Cool  Cool

Roll Eyes

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2022, 09:40:07 PM »

Lorraine Chase in the loos of the Albert Hall, where I was singing with a choir for a Born Free anniversary event. I remarked on her stunning embroidered jacket and she replied with something suitable in cockney then raced off.

I met a lot of other celebs that day, but they were all part of the concert so that would cheating a bit as, for a few hours, I was "one of them"  Cool  Cool  Cool

Roll Eyes

That was the concert that my daughter, Rachel sang in too. She rang us in the afternoon to say they'd arrived ok and she'd met some celebrities, including Rolf Harris - her exact words were 'He's a bit of a perv, a bit too touchy feely!'

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Bridgwit (Bridget)
I had a feeling there would be stripping involved
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: South Wales

« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2022, 08:02:26 AM »

I met a lot of other celebs that day, but they were all part of the concert so that would cheating a bit as, for a few hours, I was "one of them"  

That was the concert that my daughter, Rachel sang in too. She rang us in the afternoon to say they'd arrived ok and she'd met some celebrities, including Rolf Harris - her exact words were 'He's a bit of a perv, a bit too touchy feely!'
I didn't know Rachel was there Mick! And yes, Rolf was a toucher  Sad  Embarrassed  Shocked  

Never look down on anyone
Unless you're helping them up
Kevin M
Seems reasonable to me

Loc: Solihull

« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2022, 09:30:37 AM »

About 10 years ago I was at a gig in The Prince Albert in Stroud, Mike Peters fronting Joe Strummer's old Meslcaleros band, playing as Mondo Bongo. The pub was absolutely rammed. On the way into the toilet, a familiar face came out towards me, foolishly, I said "you're famous" and with a smile and a wink, the reply came "you're not, now f*** off out my way". I quickly found out it was Keith Allen, who apparently lives in the area.
Jules Gray
Go on, groove my truffles
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Cheltenham

What makes the buzzard buzz?

« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2022, 09:40:11 AM »

On the way into the toilet, a familiar face came out towards me, foolishly, I said "you're famous" and with a smile and a wink, the reply came "you're not, now f*** off out my way". I quickly found out it was Keith Allen, who apparently lives in the area.

This story doesn't change my opinion of Keith Allen.

Jules

Now be thankful for good things below
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2022, 10:37:51 AM »

I met a lot of other celebs that day, but they were all part of the concert so that would cheating a bit as, for a few hours, I was "one of them"  

I didn't know Rachel was there Mick! And yes, Rolf was a toucher  Sad  Embarrassed  Shocked  

Yes, she worked for Admiral Insurance for a while and was in the Admiral Choir, although, if I recall correctly, they were renamed The Elephant Choir on this occasion

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: