TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:44:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Butlins GBFF 2023  (Read 12857 times)
mickf
I'm old enough to have been one!
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Blackwood, South Wales

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »

This will be my first one. I could never make it in December, too much going on.

If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink!
Tasha
shocking in parts but very good
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Shropshire

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »

This will be my first one. I could never make it in December, too much going on.

first and last  Grin

They broke my heart and they killed me, but I didn't die. They tried to bury me, they didn't realise I was a seed.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2022, 05:01:57 PM »

I was going to travel to the festival by train, but it seems it will coincide with a couple of proposed rail strikes. So, if anyone from South Wales fancies sharing transport I'm happy to drive/split the petrol money.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2022, 10:51:10 PM »

I was going to travel to the festival by train, but it seems it will coincide with a couple of proposed rail strikes. So, if anyone from South Wales fancies sharing transport I'm happy to drive/split the petrol money.
I believe I may be able to do that, Mick. I'll PM you.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 11:10:49 PM by Andy » Logged

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2022, 10:03:30 AM »

Cheers, Andy

barton cobbler

Loc: Earls Barton ,Northamptonshire

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2022, 02:13:38 PM »

First one for my wife and I BUT no fun fair !!!!!
 I was really looking forward to going on the big wheel with the winds whipping in from the North Sea, do you think we will get a rebate ?   Grin
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2023, 07:48:41 PM »

Seems like a shambles, glad we didn't go

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2023, 08:02:10 PM »

Why?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Nick Reg
The Dreaded
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: NEWCASTLE, STAFFS

Merry Hell have been

« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2023, 08:49:12 PM »

Why?
Ridiculous clashes, artistes dropping out, no beer except bottled. Program was thin anyway but Oysters clashing with Merry Hell, Headsticks clashing with Ferocious Dog. Hell fire!!

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets
GubGub (Al)
and that is where it gets a bit cheesy
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: West Sussex

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2023, 11:33:51 AM »

Why?
Ridiculous clashes, artistes dropping out, no beer except bottled. Program was thin anyway but Oysters clashing with Merry Hell, Headsticks clashing with Ferocious Dog. Hell fire!!

It always was a car crash but putting the Oysters up against Merry Hell is a spectacularly bad decision. And Ian McNabb has pulled out because of ill health.

Like someone else said, this was always a pre Christmas treat. I don't have the stomach for Skegness in January.
wayne stote
Many thanks for the Doobies advice

« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2023, 11:39:00 AM »

Should have been there but I came down the covid earlier on in the week. Highly disappointed.

Never too bothered about clashes. Expect it at a festival with more than one stage.
davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2023, 01:50:43 PM »

Why?

It always was a car crash but putting the Oysters up against Merry Hell is a spectacularly bad decision. And Ian McNabb has pulled out because of ill health.

Like someone else said, this was always a pre Christmas treat. I don't have the stomach for Skegness in January.

I do wonder if it's not deliberate to have a ridiculous clash as the facilities literally can't fit everybody in the same room?

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
mickf
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2023, 07:21:00 AM »

My first (and, it would seem, last) GBBF was, on the whole, an enjoyable experience with some good company - Andy and Wendy of this parish and their friend Vicky - along with some fine music and decent food. Some great performances from artists I was familiar with, as well as from others that were new to me. Oysterband and Steeleye Span were, as you would expect, well worth the long trip from South Wales. Billy Mitchell & Bob Fox were hugely entertaining, as were The Alan Hull Songbook. Chris Difford, who I had not seen solo before, was a highlight, not just for the great music, but also for his very funny anecdotes.

Of those I hadn't seen before, Hunter Musket were very good, they had Paul Burgess (10CC) guesting on drums and he also sat in for Gerry Conway during the rather fine Pentangle set (Jaqui McShee had announced that Gerry was 'unwell, with a cold'). I thoroughly enjoyed Ferocious Dogs and Dave Speight's acoustic blues too. Carrie Martin turned out to be a fine guitarist but I wasn't a fan of her voice.

Of those acts on the 'Introducing' stage, I was impressed with Plumhall and the wonderfully named Michel, Pfiefer and Kulesh. Gaelforce, a fiddle driven folk rock quartet were pretty good, but not particularly groundbreaking. Of course there were the inevitable clashes that meant I missed some acts I would have liked to have seen. Pitmen Poets were on at the same time as Steeleye. Merry Hell clashed with the Oysters. Dean Friedman, who I would have liked to have seen, if only out of curiosity, was on at the same time as Chris Difford. The Kate Taylor Band was another I would have liked to have seen, but they clashed with Dave Speight. I'd heard some good things about The Houghton Weavers, but they were on at the same time as Pentangle. Also, Mark Chadwick from The Levellers was on at 11.30pm on the first day, but after a five hour road trip we were all a bit knackered by then, so he was also one that I missed.

So, an enjoyable experience - marred only by the lack of some clearer communication about certain line up/venue changes and one or two sound glitches. It's a pity it's the last one, but clearly a folk festival isn't the most lucrative of events for the hosts.

Andy
Brain half the size of a planet
Global Moderator

Loc: South West Wales

Not perfect. Never claimed to be.

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »

Carrie Martin played one song where the chord progression was very familiar.  

Eventually I tracked it down to Hawkwind's "We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago"

As Mick said, she's a great guitarist.

My Photos: Bands, People, Wildlife: https://tinyurl.com/AndyLeslieFlickr
blagden
Money for
Folkcorp Guru

Loc: South God's Own Country

I am a rebel - whilst ever my wife will let me be!

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2023, 10:58:41 AM »

My first (and, it would seem, last) GBBF was, on the whole, an enjoyable experience with some good company - Andy and Wendy of this parish and their friend Vicky - along with some fine music and decent food. Some great performances from artists I was familiar with, as well as from others that were new to me. Oysterband and Steeleye Span were, as you would expect, well worth the long trip from South Wales. Billy Mitchell & Bob Fox were hugely entertaining, as were The Alan Hull Songbook. Chris Difford, who I had not seen solo before, was a highlight, not just for the great music, but also for his very funny anecdotes.

Of those I hadn't seen before, Hunter Musket were very good, they had Paul Burgess (10CC) guesting on drums and he also sat in for Gerry Conway during the rather fine Pentangle set (Jaqui McShee had announced that Gerry was 'unwell, with a cold'). I thoroughly enjoyed Ferocious Dogs and Dave Speight's acoustic blues too. Carrie Martin turned out to be a fine guitarist but I wasn't a fan of her voice.

Of those acts on the 'Introducing' stage, I was impressed with Plumhall and the wonderfully named Michel, Pfiefer and Kulesh. Gaelforce, a fiddle driven folk rock quartet were pretty good, but not particularly groundbreaking. Of course there were the inevitable clashes that meant I missed some acts I would have liked to have seen. Pitmen Poets were on at the same time as Steeleye. Merry Hell clashed with the Oysters. Dean Friedman, who I would have liked to have seen, if only out of curiosity, was on at the same time as Chris Difford. The Kate Taylor Band was another I would have liked to have seen, but they clashed with Dave Speight. I'd heard some good things about The Houghton Weavers, but they were on at the same time as Pentangle. Also, Mark Chadwick from The Levellers was on at 11.30pm on the first day, but after a five hour road trip we were all a bit knackered by then, so he was also one that I missed.

So, an enjoyable experience - marred only by the lack of some clearer communication about certain line up/venue changes and one or two sound glitches. It's a pity it's the last one, but clearly a folk festival isn't the most lucrative of events for the hosts.

Ferocious Dog were my highlight along with the night of the North West's finest The Mathers Robinson Band, The Houghton Weavers and Merry Hell.
wayne stote

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2023, 12:31:46 PM »

Sounds like I had to miss a good one. Still testing positive. Boo! Glad folks enjoyed it though.

Nice to know that Plumhall played well. They're based in my neck of the woods and its been nice to watch them build up a fan base.

They put on gigs in the extraordinary cruck barn of The Craven Arms pub, in Appletreewick, Yorkshire Dales, where they provide the support. We've got Rod Clements & Ian Thompson and Steve Knightley coming up there over the next couple of months. It's a lovely venue. Heartily recommended if you ever get the chance.

davidmjs
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2023, 12:44:49 PM »

Sounds like I had to miss a good one. Still testing positive. Boo! Glad folks enjoyed it though.

Nice to know that Plumhall played well. They're based in my neck of the woods and its been nice to watch them build up a fan base.

They put on gigs in the extraordinary cruck barn of The Craven Arms pub, in Appletreewick, Yorkshire Dales, where they provide the support. We've got Rod Clements & Ian Thompson and Steve Knightley coming up there over the next couple of months. It's a lovely venue. Heartily recommended if you ever get the chance.

The web site doesn't list any current gigs...http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/cruck-barn-concerts.html  How does one see what's on/buy tickets?

wayne stote

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2023, 01:51:44 PM »

The web site doesn't list any current gigs...http://www.craven-cruckbarn.co.uk/cruck-barn-concerts.html  How does one see what's on/buy tickets?
[/quote]

I'm sure I bought them via the pub's website. It does say the page is under construction so maybe they've had some technical issues.

However, you can buy tickets for both concerts from wegottickets.com. Only one more Plumhall organised event is currently listed: Miranda Sykes and Hannah Martin, on September 29th.

Paul
I've Got A Bike
Global Moderator

Loc: Hampshire

I was a fair young curate then.

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2023, 09:38:13 PM »

We thoroughly enjoyed it. Many fine acts. Steeleye and Oysters both played a blinder. Hunter Muskett were a new find for us, but have obviously been around. Alan Hull Story was great. Mitchell and Fox were on great form. Bonus marks to Joe Martin who followed Steeleye and closed the festival with a great mix of his own stuff and covers. I don't think there was a dry eye in the house as we all sang the day the music died in American Pie.

Paul

Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2023, 11:19:40 PM »

Carrie Martin played one song where the chord progression was very familiar.  

Eventually I tracked it down to Hawkwind's "We Took The Wrong Step Years Ago"

As Mick said, she's a great guitarist.

I’ve just been listening to The Space Ritual, 50 years on its every bit as astonishingly, monstrously brilliant as it was  back then.
  One tour I’m glad I didn’t miss😎

The Dude abides
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: