TalkAwhile - The Folk Corporation Forum
April 27, 2024, 05:11:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Listening to.......  (Read 189965 times)
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1340 on: March 22, 2024, 12:59:21 PM »

The new Olivia Chaney.  Not quite sure why she isn't absolutely huge, but is hugely talented.  It's gorgeous...

* GJRdpbBWcAAa5_e.jpg (208.52 KB, 1440x1440 - viewed 533 times.)

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1341 on: March 22, 2024, 01:28:40 PM »

Thank you so much for that David. Really, the last fifteen years* have been an exceptional time for female artists  Smiley

(* rough estimate)

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1342 on: March 22, 2024, 02:24:19 PM »

Joshua Burnell in general, The Road to Horn Fair in particular. It seems to be a bit of a homage to 70s folk rock, akin to Offa Rex, whereas his newer material (Glass Knight) is more contemporary sounding, and quite catchy in places. Don't know much about him except he played Cropredy last year (I didn't go).

Any fans here?

I'd never heard of him until Cropredy, but loved his show, and went out and bought his last couple of albums.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Jim
Klaatu barada nikto
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: manchester

Here To Help

« Reply #1343 on: March 22, 2024, 04:16:45 PM »

Joan in the Garden, the new (19 minute!) song from the Decemberists forthcoming double album. Ruddy brilliant it is too. I’ve got a huge amount of time for this band, especially Colin Meloy who has performed loads of free one-hour solo gigs on Instagram. Just him, his guitar(s) and his iPhone. Wonderful stuff, and I’m hoping for some UK dates later this year, in addition to the one festival announcement so far.

I can only echo Adam's  thoughts on this.The new  track is a thing of wonder

The Dude abides
Poor Will (Bill)
coocoocachoo would just be silly
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Bognor Regis West Sussex

« Reply #1344 on: March 27, 2024, 02:58:39 PM »

Grandaddy “Blu Wav”
This one is really growing on me.
Psych pop rather reminiscent of Mercury Rev at their best.

In the words of the Zen Master " Don't just do something, sit there"
Alan2
Other peole know stuff so I don't have to
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1345 on: March 29, 2024, 09:00:26 AM »

Pentangle  :  Live at the  BBC   (Windsong/Band of Joy CD,  1995).

Quite an old CD now, and at least some of the material may have appeared  elsewhere since 1995.  A good listen, with  goodish  sound quality.  At the time it was of interest as it contains tracks from Solomon's Seal, which hadn't yet had a CD reissue.
Lubiloo (Lorna)
Google that lot, Bob!
Folkcorp Guru

« Reply #1346 on: March 31, 2024, 05:27:48 PM »

Beautiful recent album by Father John Misty, Chloe and the Next Twentieth Century. I love his voice and his music/ lyrics. Bitterly regret, we didn't see him live, last year when he toured the UK, due to the timing not fitting in with work stuff.
RobertD
Holy expletive delighted...
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: New York City

« Reply #1347 on: April 05, 2024, 08:26:35 PM »

As some of you saw on Facebook the other day, I took delivery of the Horslips box set the other day and it has indeed been more than one can chew. Some 35 odd years ago when I was diving into anything remotely folk or folk rock I first became aware of Horslips. The only thing I could find at the time was a cassette of The Man Who Built America. I think because it didn't scream folk rock I never warmed to it. And thus my Horslips experiment ended then and there. But after seeing them at Cropredy in 2011 I picked up a few things but never got around to going deep catalog...until the other day that is. First I will say I was tempted when this box came out but it was more than I could really justify. But periodically I would check the pricing and the past few months I did see the price on Amazon starting to dip. A good (not great) return from the tax man convinced me this was the time to jump.

Purely as the aesthetic of a box set it is a thing of beauty. Between this, the Bakersfield Sound box from Bear Family, and the Blondie box set, I now not only have severe space issues, but also the dilemma (someday) about whether to keep the beautiful hardcover books from each set in the 'box' or take them out for the coffee table. That will be a conversation my wife and I will have to have lol.  Back to the Horslips set, I know there were many comments on here when it was finally shipped, and I went back to those comments, and agree. The original albums, plus the officially released live albums sound wonderful. The boxset version of The Tain sounds remarkably better than the other digital copy I have. The other official studio albums I had only heard bits of down the years so am not sure how they compare, but taking The Tain as an example, I think they did a wonderful job.  The Book Of Invasions is a revelation sonically. Of the unofficial live albums/rehearsals/sessions released for the first time in the box I am still working my way through them. It is as I expected though-varying degrees of sound quality and after a while you start to ask yourself do, I really need 27 different versions of Furniture. Then again, god knows how many versions of Matty Groves I have so this is the curse of the music collector!

To give myself a break I skipped ahead to some of the solo projects. Charles' album is very pleasant, The Host does sound very dated and I stopped about halfway through to save it for another time. Barry's album is also dated, but oddly I didn't dislike it as much as I anticipated. Jim's album is a mixed bag-just when you are getting into the mood of the piece it ends, but I like a lot of the ideas musically. It also made me realize how difficult it must be to write a good theme song. For a one-minute intro to a TV show it has to accomplish a lot stylistically and compliment the program. At the moment I am listening to the Fean & Carr album. Mixed bag but some good stuff on here

The layout of the book is very enjoyable visually, and I think the reason I invested in this set is because the past few years I have had a deeper connection with Irish culture, language, history, myths and of course the music. It has always been there, but it has become more important to me now. For example, in the past few months I have been slowly learning some Irish. Horslips certainly were a kick ass rock band, but in those common themes, the myths and legends, the tall tales, famine, emigration and political strife they managed to express something powerfully Irish. I'm glad I came around to them eventually.  

I'm just a little shy of Surf's Up and I'm deeper than Twist and Shout....Iain Matthews
PaulT
Up pops Paul with the Flowerpot Men
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Gloucester

« Reply #1348 on: April 05, 2024, 08:51:30 PM »

"The Breaks" album by the Heritage Orchestra, Jules Buckley and Ghost-Face... an extremely funky set of classic early hiphop tunes, beats and, er, breaks arranged by JB. Bloomin' great for a long drive!

Flobbadob!
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1349 on: April 06, 2024, 08:53:52 AM »

Bert Jansch :  Sketches  (Temple Music  CD,  1990).

Sort of a career break perhaps. Bert revisiting his back catalogue.  Some nice versions.
Ian_
blazzawazzada brortewtomay
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Warwickshire

None the wiser

« Reply #1350 on: April 09, 2024, 10:40:33 AM »

Rosali - Bite down

Really enjoying this - singer-songwriter country-folkish with a little bit of psych/noise sort of thing.....I'm not the most articulate at describing music....but joyous   Cool

https://rosali.bandcamp.com/track/rewind

The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science." Albert Einstein
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1351 on: April 10, 2024, 02:42:37 PM »

Loreena McKennit  :  The Book of Secrets  (CD 1997).

Perhaps this should be in the bargain bin thread
. .  £2 from the Amnesty shop.  Perfect condition.  

I'm not a great fan of ms McKennit. Listensble  and pleasant in a Clannad/ Moorish -Celtic kind of way.
Will S
A twinset of librarians
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: in deepest Devon

« Reply #1352 on: April 10, 2024, 02:52:32 PM »

Loreena McKennit  :  The Book of Secrets  (CD 1997).

Perhaps this should be in the bargain bin thread
. .  £2 from the Amnesty shop.  Perfect condition.  

I'm not a great fan of ms McKennit. Listensble  and pleasant in a Clannad/ Moorish -Celtic kind of way.

I have a couple of her albums, including that one, and there are times when it is just what I want to listen to.

All the diamonds in the world
That mean anything to me,
Are conjured up by wind and sunlight
Sparkling on the sea
(Bruce Cockburn)
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1353 on: April 12, 2024, 08:49:04 AM »

Daisy Rickman :  Howl   (Weird Walk LP,  coloured vinyl,  2024).

If you like drones, acid folk, wyrd folk etc this is worth checking out. You can but the vinyl  like I did, or you can stream. No CD.
davidmjs
less Yes than I probably should do
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Penrith(ish)

« Reply #1354 on: April 12, 2024, 08:54:10 AM »

If you like drones, acid folk, wyrd folk etc this is worth checking out. You can but the vinyl  like I did, or you can stream. No CD.

Or you can buy the download... https://daisyrickman.bandcamp.com/album/howl

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Alan2
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

« Reply #1355 on: April 12, 2024, 09:23:13 AM »

Or you can buy the download... https://daisyrickman.bandcamp.com/album/howl

Yes I forgot that...🙂
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1356 on: April 12, 2024, 12:34:10 PM »

I tuned in to this week's Flower Power Hour yesterday as I saw that it was a Jon Anderson special. I hadn't heard about his new collaboration with a group of Yes-obsessives called Band Geek. They have a US tour coming up and have recorded a new record so it's not just a trip down memory lane.

Jon did say that they are concentrating on the Fragile/Close to the Edge era though on the radio show they didn't play anything from the latter, just 2 tracks from Fragile and almost played The Yes Album in its entirety which I thought was a bit strange. I mean I like The Yes Album but don't really want to listen to the whole thing on a radio show.

If you want to hear the FPH, it's on https://www.internet-radio.com/station/gingerfeatherfm/ this afternoon and over the weekend at 3pm.

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
ColinB
a better way to put it
Folkcorp Guru 2nd Dan

Loc: Lancaster

« Reply #1357 on: April 13, 2024, 05:27:33 PM »

After watching some of the Jethro Tull at Montreux on Sky Arts last night I've downloaded The Broadsword and the Beast and A Little Light Music which has been my listening this afternoon. I had no idea that DM had played with Tull albeit briefly in the early 90s.

I was impressed with Andrew Giddings' keyboard playing at the Montreux gig. What are the studio albums like that he played on?

Listen to my Off The Beaten Tracks radio shows on Mixcloud
https://www.mixcloud.com/cmbertram/
bassline (Mike)
the Spens is mightier with the Swarb
Folkcorp Guru 3rd Dan

Loc: Wolverhampton

« Reply #1358 on: April 14, 2024, 08:38:35 AM »

After watching some of the Jethro Tull at Montreux on Sky Arts last night I've downloaded The Broadsword and the Beast and A Little Light Music which has been my listening this afternoon. I had no idea that DM had played with Tull albeit briefly in the early 90s.

I was impressed with Andrew Giddings' keyboard playing at the Montreux gig. What are the studio albums like that he played on?

There were only four, the first of which, Catfish Rising, he was a session player, appearing on only a few tracks. It's an OK album, I guess, not one I play much.
Roots To Branches I like quite a bit, especially the title track.
J-Tull Dot Com I don't have, so I can't say.
The Jethro Tull Christmas Album is, as far as Christmas albums go, a good one.

Not the most celebrated of Tull eras, I think the band had run it's course by now. However, you may love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NejW8HKOyno&list=PLL44kuYYS8yk7WxmgO4OsoVX1MOlRf210 Catfish Rising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN8VJp8Gdn4&list=PLL44kuYYS8ymA-anT-VHqd_5kkNziibwm Roots To Branches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C70T0QJ-5_4&list=PLL44kuYYS8yno2tHKdRbysNozxPEbATz2 J Tull Dot Com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr6TSEu2NUA&list=PLUWzM0_7WzGrKKafLG8yJS7GohT_Yooiz Christmas Album

Well I never did..
David V B
Order from the other side of the living room

« Reply #1359 on: April 14, 2024, 09:01:50 AM »

Skydancers, the new album by Martin Simpson. On first listen it is superb, probably his best since Prodigal Son which I love. The title track in particular is gorgeous.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: